Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Semi-Auto Handgun 'epiphany' Last Saturday

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Semi-Auto Handgun 'epiphany' Last Saturday

Post by PT7 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:24 pm

Guess it's time to ask one of those "I-don't-know" questions, since this thread is focused on semi-auto handguns. First, some comments re. Springfield Armory.

I've only had two semi-autos during the half dozen years I've been into firearms. The first one was a Springfield Armory XD 4" Full Size Model 9mm in plain-Jane black polymer. Like NCG's said of her 1911, "no work of art." But it sure did shoot excellently with the white 3-dot sight system, and rarely if ever had any operating issues with FTFs or FTEs. I probably should not have let it go even though I'm not big into semi-autos. It was that good. This is a photo of the model I had.
XD9.jpg
Here is what I'd like to find out about the 1911. What actually is the difference(s) between the 1911 and say this 9mm I had? They look so similar other than the wider angle of the 1911 grip and the bottom line of the barrel. I do remember how comfortable it was to hold and shoot the XD. So, as often as I hear many folk talk about 1911s, there evidently is something special or unique about that model handgun. Appreciate whatever comments anyone might make.
PT7
North Country Gal wrote:Our 9mm 1911, currently, is a Springfield Range Officer. No work of art, but a great range shooter, for sure.
Mistered wrote:Actually narrowing it down and I think the Springfield Range Officer is one of the ‘finalists’.
I’ve looked at many of them and don’t think It can be beat for quality Vs. price - especially
In stainless steel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:57 pm

Here is what I'd like to find out about the 1911. What actually is the difference(s) between the 1911 and say this 9mm I had?
Well, without going into great detail I would start with the material the frame is made from - and the typical 1911 is NOT made of plastic.
Next would be that little flippy thingy in the middle of the trigger (trigger safety) - enough said.
Last (for this comparison) would be the lack of the hammer on the back of the frame - again enough said.
Last but not least there is the 'traditional' aspect of the 1911 being a J.M.B. design which has sort of a 'built in' appreciation for many. The essential design of the 1911 bears no resemblance with the internal, or external design of any modern, striker fired, polymer framed semi-auto.
Have you ever shot a quality 1911 and experienced the trigger? A 1911 trigger can be as good as a S & W Revolver trigger. There are virtually NO striker fired 9mms (and dang few hammer style) that even come close to having the trigger of a quality 1911.
They look so similar other than the wider angle of the 1911 grip and the bottom line of the barrel.
Look Similar? - not quite.
This is the Gold Cup I am considering.
20ACB2F2-8A92-4B74-9037-0D95B38B0A71.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:54 pm

Probably going to do a 'first', for me that is, and buy a non-Colt 1911.
While I have shot and held many (and some could give Colt a run for their money) I noticed a Rock Island Armory one in my LGS. The RIA is on the lower 'tier' of price for 1911s in general but I have heard lots of good things about them and this is the first one I ever got serious about looking over.
I am really impressed with the overall quality and the features usually found on more expensive ones. The action is very smooth and tight and has an excellent trigger. Part of this is due to it's Series 70 configuration (no firing pin safety as in a Series 80) but this trigger would rival a much higher end 1911.
The finish is the big compromise being parkerized but it is nicely done with even coloring and I am already used to parkerizing as my Colt 1991 is parked. Also it comes with a set of LPA fiber optic sights so I would not be so inclined to need to buy a set to try on my Colt as I had planned.
Anyway with a Vet discount and a gift cert I have for the store I can get it for about $435 - and for the quality and the excellent reviews I am reading about them I might just be a 'player'.
I really like the looks of the Colt or other higher end 1911s but can't really justify them for my planned use of it - and I'll never complain about 'beauty marks' from carrying this one!
1.png
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:37 am

Very nice. Sounds like it has quite a bit going for it. Like just about every firearm, it all comes down to sights, trigger and overall "fit," and it seems like those boxes are checked. Best of all, the money lines up well, especially with what Colts are selling for these days. I've never owned one, but they appear to be wandering into "new" vs. "old" territory when it come to current QC and fit/finish.
That RIA, however, looks very well put together. Please keep us posted!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:11 am

Mistered wrote:Actually narrowing it down and I think the Springfield Range Officer is one of the ‘finalists’.
I’ve looked at many of them and don’t think It can be beat for quality Vs. price - especially
In stainless steel.
I agree. Best buy in a range gun. Have had two and still have one in 9mm.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:16 pm

Have one in a 10mm and it shots as good as any of the higher priced 1911's I have. I have looked into getting another one several times I just have other items in front of it.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Coach
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Coach » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:55 pm

I love my 1911's...

Springfields have fit my budget so I have a TRP 45 and a EMP 9 . The TRP is my favorite hand gun by far.

My Avatar shows a little TRP work :D
0 x
Deplorable California 2A supporter.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:15 pm

Yep the Springers are nice but with the price I can get the RIA for I’ll be close to $300 lower, and really the RIA is comparable in quality and it is a Series 70 which is what I really want. Like I said the finish is the biggest compromise but I am already used to a parkerized 1911 and it will be carried so no issues there.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:34 pm

45ACP? Do you reload this round?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:47 pm

I reload 45 acp Evan
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55