Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Semi-Auto Handgun 'epiphany' Last Saturday

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Semi-Auto Handgun 'epiphany' Last Saturday

Post by Mistered » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:56 pm

Regardless of what I do I keep coming back to my 1911 when it comes to what I like for a 'favorite' semi-auto to shoot.
I was out Saturday and even though I was rifle shooting I brought about 30 rounds to run through it and after shooting it I really realized I had been 'fighting it' all along. It's pretty simple - it comes down to 'fit' for me (both in hand and carry) and the incredible trigger my 1991-A1 has. I like my CZ 75 9mm but reality is I don't like the long takeup and creep (on any gun) not just the CZ.
I have only owned a couple 9mms (and several 1911s) and bought the CZ several years ago to replace an IMI Baby Eagle I traded away (compact version - GREAT gun but too small)
Anyway maybe It was just a good day but the 1911 just seemed to feel better in my hand than the CZ and I was shooting it incredibly well (I wish I had brought more ammo!)
There are no doubt some 9mms that have good triggers and single actions semis typically have better triggers than double action but the reality is few (if any) can equate a 1911 trigger which can be made to equal the trigger quality of a good revolver in single action.
The trigger on my 1991-A1 is stock but pretty dang good and I might give its parts a little polishing next complete tear down to make it even better.
Anyway I think I am going to install a better set of sights on my 1911 AND - start looking for a 1911 in 9 mm.
When I draw down on target I want the best trigger available on ANY gun I have - especially a handgun - and in a semi it simply comes down to the 1911 for me.
OK crazy guy rant over!
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Semi-Auto Handgun 'epiphany' Last Saturday

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:03 am

Couldn't agree more. I do like the CZ for fit in the hand as well but the trigger just isnt up to par with a 1911. Mine have been hiding from me in the safe lately and I need to see if I can find them again. But I cant seem to let go of the 22 and the 357 levers at the range for the time being.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:33 am

but the trigger just isnt up to par with a 1911.
Yea and I have the BD version which is the decocker and makes it even worse.
I had always heard the 'B' version (non-decocker) has a much better trigger than the BD and ironically a LGS recently took one in used, but VERY nice. SO - decided to go look at it and IF the trigger was better than my 'BD' I was going to take it immediately and put my BD up for sale. I went to look at it today and well, while it was MARGINALLY better than my BD it still wasn't enough to make me want it so it went back in the case.
Now there is an entirely single action only CZ 75 the SA version and reviews on it report 1911 like trigger quality but it ain't like there are many of them out there to look at and I would probably not take a chance on special ordering one without having personally tried one.
0 x

albin25
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by albin25 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:51 am

1911.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Welcome to my home..........FYI... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:02 am

For the money, Dan Wesson makes a pretty fine 1911. I picked up the V-Bob in 9mm earlier this year from Bud's. Honestly, the difference between it and my Ed Brown is negligible.
Worth a look...
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:02 am

With you all the way on the 1911 thing. Don't have to convince me. Although my passion is revolver shooting and collecting some of the old revolvers, when it comes to shooting something that just fits me so naturally and that sometimes just seems to shoot itself, the 1911 is number one with me. We've had a wide variety of 1911s come and go and are down to just a few old standbys, now, but those would be some of the very last guns I would ever sell

I also have a Dan Wesson in the A2. Honestly, I just can't see how you could make a 1911 any better than the DW.

If you're looking for a 1911 in 9mm, lots and lots of choices, now. Our 9mm 1911, currently, is a Springfield Range Officer. No work of art, but a great range shooter, for sure.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:25 am

For the money, Dan Wesson makes a pretty fine 1911.
Yea the Valor V-bob looks pretty nice but it's hard to rationalize the price ($1700 & change) when I have found an unfired LNIB Colt Gold Cup NM for a $1000.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:49 am

ESquared wrote:For the money, Dan Wesson makes a pretty fine 1911. I picked up the V-Bob in 9mm earlier this year from Bud's. Honestly, the difference between it and my Ed Brown is negligible.
Worth a look...

I have a Dan Wesson V-Bob as well and everything I've heard to this point is pretty much is the same. I think your other option maybe to look around and you can find some used Les Baers for about the same it would cost to get a new Dan Wesson. Highly encourage you to take a look at the 1911Forum and do your own research.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:06 pm

1911addicts.com is also a good forum and has a very active Classifieds section, with many used (and generally babied) 1911s coming and going all the time.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:32 pm

Actually narrowing it down and I think the Springfield Range Officer is one of the ‘finalists’.
I’ve looked at many of them and don’t think It can be beat for quality Vs. price - especially
In stainless steel.
0 x