Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Russian Silver -- First Shots

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Russian Silver -- First Shots

Post by PT7 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:37 pm

Just got back from the indoor range in KCKS. Left my "older" Russian Blue at home; took the "newer" Russian Silver out for the first time. What a very cool revolver.

Yup, Big Al. Working on collecting the CO .45LC brass!
BigAl52 wrote:More ammo more guns right PT?????

NCG, "those ARE big 45 cal holes in a target." Today, I was more than pleased where the big-hole-POIs landed! :)
North Country Gal wrote:Yes, excellent work on the pics. Now, get out and shoot those beauties. I'm dying, here, to see some of those big 45 cal holes in a target. :)
THE REVOLVER
The Russian Silver .45LC
NOOB_2777.JPG
THE RANGE STORY
~~~Yellow Target One (8.5" black circle; 3" orange; 5/8" yellow diamond at dead bull). First shots were three 5-round groups. What I'm always so glad to see is how the very first trigger pull lands. This time I got it in the yellow diamond bull. No doubt that I definitely think this revolver shoots as accurately as the other.
First Shots_10 yards_2788.JPG
~~~Black Splash Target Two (12" with a 2" red bull). At this longer distance, first POI is at upper, far left in the 7-ring. I got the remaining rounds somewhat settled down.
FIrst Shots_15 yards_2789.JPG
DA! I have my rabbit hunting revolver for this winter season!
Which one? At the moment, it's certainly a coin toss.
Both Russians are accurate and great to shoot! Will still get out for more range time; especially want to shoot again at the 4.5" reactive ground target I got, and hopefully have to chase it a lot around the forest trees! ;)
PT7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PT7 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Russian Silver -- First Shots

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:52 pm

DA! Congratulations, PT7. That's a beautiful gun and some fantastic targets. Thanks for another great range report. Rabbit hunting will be just that much more fun!
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:44 pm

Impressive performance! Your excitement comes through is what you shared and how you shared it! So is the white Russian for white rabbits and the blue for (hm guess not blue rabbits) maybe brown rabbits? :roll:
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:02 pm

Loving it, PT, big 45 cal holes and all. Thank you. Very, very entertaining range report. You know, I've never even seen a range report with one of these interesting beauties, before. Whole new territory for me and I'm sure a lot of folks. So generous of you to share like this. Keep up the good work and, of course, good shooting. I think you and those Russians make a great combo.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:39 pm

Спасибо~~~Spasibo~~~Thanks to you both for your comments :)

Not only a "new territory for you," but for me also. Never had a .45LC revolver until this year, let alone a pair of them. One thing I've found out is how pleasantly different the .45LC caliber is to shoot.

Another really huge new thing for me was originally the biggest concern I had about buying the Russian. That was the size and configuration of the rear fixed sight. It's so small! I didn't get out my calipers, but used a regular ruler to measure after I cleaned the gun tonight. The height of each side post is 1/16"; the slot in between is 1/16" wide. The front blade fits like a sliver perfectly in between the rear posts, and puts me squarely on target. All very easily done; almost without thinking. Fortunately, Uberti has both guns built well with terrific accuracy using fixed iron sights.

These sights are the best I've had on any of my revolvers....go figure. It's a revolver with the longest barrel I've ever had at 6.5". Don't know if that factor makes an important difference or not. Honestly, I can't figure why this revolver with its tiny sights is so easy to shoot. Just glad it is. ;)

I'm not by any means a marksman. This gun deserves a lot of the credit, I think, for the reasonable POIs I've had.
North Country Gal wrote:Loving it, PT, big 45 cal holes and all. Thank you. Very, very entertaining range report. You know, I've never even seen a range report with one of these interesting beauties, before. Whole new territory for me and I'm sure a lot of folks. So generous of you to share like this. Keep up the good work and, of course, good shooting. I think you and those Russians make a great combo.
Yup, it has been fun & exciting as I've acquired these new revolvers this year. My choices have turned out really good. :D

Interesting comments on the rabbit colors. First, I'm color-blind :lol: (primary red/green, but that crosses the line and mixes up basic colors, too). At the same time, I battle floaters in both eyes. That almost give a translucent color to what I aim at looking down the barrel of a gun.

To be honest, I wouldn't care if the rabbit was white, blue, silver, brown even with polka dots. All I would really like is to harvest some rabbits this hunting season. Even if I got only one, that would be the first time for me. I think it would be rewarding to put meat on the table. I got a very, very late start in firearms just as I retired. The several seasons I've been out deer hunting, that was what I did.....hunting only, and nary a harvest. Hoping more rabbits will hop around the woods and give me the chance to bring some harvest in this winter! ;)
Mags wrote:Impressive performance! Your excitement comes through is what you shared and how you shared it! So is the white Russian for white rabbits and the blue for (hm guess not blue rabbits) maybe brown rabbits? :roll:
0 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:45 pm

Hey PT glad you got out and had a good time makin Big RR holes he will be proud to see those big cowboy pistol holes for sure. Was any of that ammo the new stuff?
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:58 pm

Thanks, BigAl.

Yes, it was some of the "new stuff." I shot some 200gr Choice Ammo rounds today. I only have 35 rounds left of the off-the-shelf brands I've been using (HSM & Aguila), and shot mostly those. When they are gone, no Choice but Choice!! :lol:

BTW, I liked shooting them. Recoil is negligible as you thought it would be. I'll be shooting more of both the 200gr and 250gr before the rabbit season is in full swing. I'm thinking there won't be that much of a difference. Shall see.
PT7
BigAl52 wrote:Hey PT glad you got out and had a good time makin Big RR holes he will be proud to see those big cowboy pistol holes for sure. Was any of that ammo the new stuff?
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:00 pm

I know zero about hunting rabbits. What does a .45LC do to a rabbit? I mean is there anything left after a .45 hits it?
PT7 wrote:... Hoping more rabbits will hop around the woods and give me the chance to bring some harvest in this winter! ;)
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:06 pm

Great shootin' PT7. Yup sure do admire them big craters. Wabbitts beware...
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:52 pm

I mean is there anything left after a .45 hits it?
Standard RN .45s at in the lower velocity range won't tear 'em up too bad.
Bullet speed and design are what influence how much damage they will do. I have shot 100s of jackrabbits with everything from .22 up to centerfire rifle with the most probably with .38 Special SWC ammo. Start getting up to .357s with jacketed wadcuctters or hollowpoints and thats where 'explosiveness' begins to happen! (especially out of a rifle) Centerfire HV rifle (.223 - .243) turns them into a red spray.
My new PCC is going to be an interesting rabbit gun this winter - and possibly some coyotes in there also.
1 x