Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

new revolver

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

new revolver

Post by The Wiz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:43 pm

In all the excitement of my moving to North Carolina and experiencing my first hurricane, I failed to mention that I purchased a Uberti Cattleman .45 LC used, just before I left. I had just stopped in to say goodbye at my favorite gun store and the owner, when I spotted it on the back wall. It had just come in on a trade that morning and Steve, the owner, had not test fired it or really given it good once over. Well, one thing lead to another and we went out to his private indoor 3 lane range to test fire it. Made me stand about 5 yrds. away just in case it blew up. Shot five rounds high but grouped well. Took it back in the shop and tried to take it apart but could not get the spindle out of the cylinder. After about five minutes he said come back tomorrow and he have it fixed and ready to sell. Well, I was leaving the next day, so he said come back at 7:00 (he closes at 5:00). I am now the proud owner of said gun. I have not shot it yet but soon. And then I get to see what all the fuss you .45 LC guys&gals make about it :)
5 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: new revolver

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:56 pm

The Wiz wrote:In all the excitement of my moving to North Carolina and experiencing my first hurricane, I failed to mention that I purchased a Uberti Cattleman .45 LC used, just before I left. [After test firing it, he] took it back in the shop and tried to take it apart but could not get the spindle out of the cylinder.
Congratulations, Wiz. You're going to love that gun.

FYI. These revolvers have a two position cylinder pin; when pushed all the way in, it is used as a safety. If the revolver is dry fired with the pin in the safety position, it creates a burr that makes it all but impossible to remove it. I suspect the previous owner may have done that. I learned about it the hard way with my Taylors Smokewagon (Uberti 1873 Cattleman, .357). The first time I tried to remove the pin, it wouldn't budge. I did finally get it out with a little help from a needle nose pliers and then called Taylors' gunsmith, who explained the problem. I ordered a new cylinder pin, but also deburred the original, and so I now have two and will no longer dry fire the gun with the pin in safety position. Lesson learned.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:59 pm

Congrats, Wiz! Always cool to get a new revolver in hand. In the short time I've had my Ubertis, I found they are quality guns.
I don't know if it's a "fuss about .45LC" caliber; rather, it's about a cool 8-) caliber. I haven't owned my Ubertis that long. But I've found out that shooting .45LC is simply a pleasure...large caliber, but "smooth & mild" to handle. Can't exactly explain what that is; talked about it some in another thread. So....

I'll be quite interested to hear what you think after trying your Cattleman. ;)
You just might be joining that crowd of "folk that are fussing!" :lol:
The Wiz wrote:In all the excitement of my moving to North Carolina and experiencing my first hurricane, I failed to mention that I purchased a Uberti Cattleman .45 LC used, just before I left...... I am now the proud owner of said gun. ….. And then I get to see what all the fuss you .45 LC guys&gals make about it :)
0 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:05 pm

Good 'ol frontier lead....you will like it. Congrats.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:17 pm

looking forward to seeing it in action .. :D
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:41 pm

Congrats. Love to hear how it shoots for you. Let us know.
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:59 pm

CT, you were absolutely correct about the burr. Steve had to take a punch and drive it out from the trigger end. Was a burr which he took off. I am sure you are correct on the cause. I knew about the two stage but not the dry fire aspect of it. Thanks for the heads up. The Forum comes thru again!
1 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856