Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ultra Dot Red Dot Sight on Handgun?

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Ultra Dot Red Dot Sight on Handgun?

Post by Steve51 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Recently purchased a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter revolver (.44 Magnum). Seriously considering using it from a tree stand during the firearm deer season. I have been practicing from a tree stand and seem fairly satisfied with my marksmanship. I have also considered the possibility of trying an Ultradot Red Dot Sight (25mm).

My Questions:
Has anyone on this forum used one on a handgun?

If so, did it function well in bright light and dim light conditions?

Overall, satisfied or not satisfied with this product?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.
Super Blackhawk Hunter.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Ultra Dot Red Dot Sight on Handgun?

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:39 pm

I have used an Ultradot 25 on literally dozens of handguns. Not kidding. It's been my go to red dot on guns of all kinds for many years. Does not get any more reliable and durable than a UD 25. Have used one on some really ferocious kicking Encore handguns, including a 30-06, 444 Marlin, 308 and others and have never had one fail. Have used it on revolvers such as a Ruger 454 and a S&W 460 without a single failure. Also like the excellent wide range of brightness adjustments - can see the dot on the brightest of days. Also has excellent windage and elevation adjustments. (This is where I think the tube style red dots have it over the small micro screen red dots.)

UD 25 on a 5" 460 Smith.
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:53 pm

we use an Aimpoint Micro H-1 on our Ruger 44 Mag Redhawk .... I've found that on big game it does really well out to 50 +/- yards in brightest light conditions .... in every thing less than the brightest light it does well out to 100 +/- yards ....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:55 pm

Hey, Steve,

Can't help you out on any of your Qs; never used a red dot on a handgun. Already noticed that NCG gave you her thumbs up on your red dot choice; and I'm sure others will share their preferences. ;)

However, just want to say that your Blackhawk Hunter is a really sharp-looking revolver! Cool. 8-)
I'm looking forward to hearing about your deer hunting experience, if you do stake out in a tree stand this coming season.
Have fun with the Ruger!
PT7
Steve51 wrote:Recently purchased a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter revolver (.44 Magnum). Seriously considering using it from a tree stand during the firearm deer season. I have been practicing from a tree stand and seem fairly satisfied with my marksmanship. I have also considered the possibility of trying an Ultradot Red Dot Sight (25mm).

My Questions:
Has anyone on this forum used one on a handgun?

If so, did it function well in bright light and dim light conditions?

Overall, satisfied or not satisfied with this product?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Super Blackhawk Hunter.JPG
1 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Steve51 wrote:Recently purchased a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter revolver (.44 Magnum)...
That is one very fine looking revolver! Hardly wait to hear from you on how well it shoots.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:50 am

Really appreciate the replies. I trust the opinions of folks here much more than the product reviews I read online. Thanks NCG, really thankful to hear from someone who actually has used this red dot. Thanks to JEBar for giving me information on similar red dot.

There is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum and I appreciate you all very much!
2 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:27 am

You're very welcome. Let us know how the shooting goes.
0 x