Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Russian Revolver & Italian Leather

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Russian Revolver & Italian Leather

Post by PT7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:26 pm

I sure didn't expect to post any further photos of my Russian top-break revolver until my next Range Report, after shooting it. I had a most pleasant and successful day at the LGS in nearby Liberty, MO, where I did some accessory shopping. So here I am to share "the luck of the draw."

For a while now I've been searching on the internet, and calling all LGS near me, to try and find a leather holster for this revolver. I found one at this LGS :!: It was so simple and so close by. Again this morning I had called a couple of shops, and this fellow in Liberty said he had a 6" leather holster designed for a DA/SA revolver. He suggested I stop by sometime and check it out since my Russian only has a 1/2" longer barrel --- 6-1/2". The other component I was looking for was how a holster would allow the Russian's trigger spur to settle in. The holster manufacturer, Blackhawk, is not one I searched for on the web. I have a couple of quality nylon Blackhawk shoulder rigs that work well on other guns I have. But I didn't think to look at Blackhawk for a leather holster. I also know that Blackhawk is pretty well-known for tactical holsters, so didn't think any Cowboy action leather would be found there.

My criteria for a leather carry holster were pretty simple. Just wanted one in brown color, didn't need any design patterns, but needed to have a strap coming across the hammer to hold it secure as I walked the fields. The "killer requirement" was that the trigger spur had to be easily accessed for an smooth cross-draw; that that extra metal finger hold would not collide with anything when drawing the gun. Quality leather would have been cool, as well. 8-)

Ah, I found this holster has it all! Oh yes, getting it at the LGS some perks included: no shipping fees, no electronic money transaction, and the best way to buy for me is to handle the product. The drive was about 7 miles or so, and the weather was pleasantly cool. :) Easily done.

I would have never found this on the internet, I don't believe, by looking for a "type" of holster. It is described as a multi-position holster for an S&W N-frame full lug 6" revolver. Not even close to the nomenclature of a Uberti Russian 6-1/2" top-break S/A revolver. Not only does the holster have all my preferences, it is a looker in my eyes.

So here are some photos of my Italian-made Uberti revolver alongside the new Italian-made leather holster, which will keep the gun comfy, protected, and warm! :lol:

A good day.
PT7
Leather Holster1_2661.JPG
Leather Holster2_2662.JPG
Leather Holster3_2663.JPG
Leather Holster5_2665.JPG
Leather Holster6_2666.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

~Пока~

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Russian Revolver & Italian Leather

Post by Cofisher » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:58 pm

Very nice. It looks perfect for your revolver!
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Looks great!
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:08 pm

I've got to agree with the other comments. That holster seems to have been made just for your unique SA Revolver. It looks great, fits the gun perfectly (considering the unusual trigger spur), and will serve you well in the field for many years of rabbit hunting. Congratulations on your lucky draw. It doesn't get much better than that. Great photos, by the way.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:21 pm

Very nice! Congrats on that needle-in-a-haystack find! Perfect fit and great looking. Can't ask for more, can you? And, you supported your LGS in the process! A true win/win.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:12 pm

I have several Blackhawk holsters and love them. Bet that one will fit a lot go other guns, too. Well done.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:49 pm

Hey, thanks Folks for liking this new-to-me holster, and my photos.

I've done some "practicing" with it today: holstering the revolver, catching/releasing the hammer strap, and drawing it out -- all actions are as smooth as silk! Ex2 said it was a "needle-in-the-haystack find" at my LGS. That, and nearly a perfect fit, are the good story of today!

There is one other thing I'm thinking about doing to the holster. There is sufficient leather at the muzzle end to cut one or two slots there, run some leather through and tie the gun to my left leg. When walking the woods, I'd like to belt carry it in the right-hand, cross-draw position. I think it would work well this way. Another fun mini-project ahead! :D

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:18 am

Your holster is an 'omen' for me - it says 'SIze 04 S&W 6" N Frame' - which is the exact gun I will be looking for at a local gun show this Saturday! (a Mod 27 or 28)
Blackhawk is nice stuff - I only have one small piece of BH leather, a double stack mag pouch which I bought to carry my leatherman on my belt which it fits like it was made for it - it also fits my CZ 9mm mags also!
Regardless excellent stitching & leather finish. If I find what I am looking for it will no doubt ride in the same holster.
Looking forward to a range report on you Russian - man if that were mine it would have been spittin' lead within a half hour of taking possession!
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:07 am

Cool. 8-) Glad I posted a photo of the holster specs, and you've got that info now. Quite interesting that it is your exact gun. Really hope you find your gun....know what the firearms "hunt" is all about. ;)

You got all the right words for what I found in this holster...thanks for adding to my satisfaction with this find:
~~~Blackhawk is nice stuff
~~~fits like it was made for it (for sure with my revolver!)
~~~excellent stitching & leather finish

You might have missed it, but I have shot this revolver, and posted a Range Report http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4925. I've been slowed down from more range visits because I was using .45LC ammo that wasn't the "right stuff." I found that Uberti in Italy "warned" to not use .45LC ammo with an FPS greater than 875. That's not only for this Russian revolver, but also for the Uberti 1873 Cattleman .45LC revolver I have. The ammo I ordered and started shooting with had an FPS at 900 --- whoa, not to the manufacturer's recommendation. I'm more than careful & cautious with what ammo I shoot, and have resisted taking either revolver to the range until I got the best ammo. So I had to research Cowboy action ammo, and did find hand-loaded ammo from a MT company, which carries an FPS of 820. With the ammo hunt taking time, haven't done much more at the range.

Now that I have the "right stuff" in my ammo stock, that will be changing soon!
PT7
Mistered wrote:Your holster is an 'omen' for me - it says 'SIze 04 S&W 6" N Frame' - which is the exact gun I will be looking for at a local gun show this Saturday! (a Mod 27 or 28)
Blackhawk is nice stuff - I only have one small piece of BH leather, a double stack mag pouch which I bought to carry my leatherman on my belt which it fits like it was made for it - it also fits my CZ 9mm mags also!
Regardless excellent stitching & leather finish. If I find what I am looking for it will no doubt ride in the same holster.
Looking forward to a range report on you Russian - man if that were mine it would have been spittin' lead within a half hour of taking possession!
0 x

~Пока~

If1Hitu
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by If1Hitu » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:27 pm

Nice.
0 x
A individual can't be a Army
A individual can't be a Navy.
A individual can't be a Air Force
A individual can't be a Coast Guard
A individual can be a MARINE! Semper Fi.