Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

22 is my favorite caliber

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: 22 is my favorite caliber

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:41 pm

The Ruger below the 686 would that be one of the 10 shot GP 100"s?
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:43 pm

I have had a 686 and I now have a Match Champion. The Match Champion is one fine revolter. I love mine and I would put it up against any 686 I have ever owned.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:10 am

North Country Gal wrote:
... I would have too say that even though I really liike SA Revolvers and the Vaquero is a real looker that it would have to be both the S&W 686 and Ruger GP 100 Match Champion. In the future I will always opt for the gun with the sweeter trigger.
Been doing that for many years, now, and it really does pay off. Well worth waiting till you get an individual gun with that just right trigger. I went two years and over a half dozen Springfield Armory Mil spec 45s inspected at our LGS till I found the one with the excellent out of the box trigger. Glad I waited. Have gone through a couple of 1911 purges to make room for other guns, but my old trusty Mil-spec never got sold or traded and never will. Despite its lack of anything fancy and budget 1911 price, this one has been a fantastic shooter.

Imagefree image hosting site
I have less experience and I maybe a slow learner but I'm starting to get it. The S&W41 certainly was an eye opening experience especially when compared to the S&W Victory 22 and Ruger Mark IV. I really hate making the same mistakes twice so I've resolved to do my best not to go back there. I initially was drawn to the Marlin 1894 in 357 for various reasons but after seeing a comment or two about how hard the trigger was out of the box for the latest version I decided the Henry Big Boy was a bertter bet. Besides I also discovered the Movie thing about the side loading gate may not be all it's cracked out to be after all.

But yes, how it handle and actually works makes all the difference when it's actually being used.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:16 am

BigAl52 wrote:The Ruger below the 686 would that be one of the 10 shot GP 100"s?
The Ruger GP100 Match Champion is a six shooter. I do have the Ruger GP100 22 and that one is a ten shooter. To the best of my knowledge the most cylinders they have are seven when it comes to the 357/38 variety but that one has been extremely problematic it seems with certain ammo. It appears the holes may not be far enough apart to accomdate certain brands of ammo.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:23 am

BigAl52 wrote:I have had a 686 and I now have a Match Champion. The Match Champion is one fine revolter. I love mine and I would put it up against any 686 I have ever owned.

With the little experience I have I would agree, It's funny but so far when comparing the 686 to the GP100 I have to this point I have always choosen the GP100 first and then I have gotten the 686 later. Typically however this initial decision was due to various other accesories that come with the GP100 that the 686 does not such as sights or sights and grips or the fact I like the finish on the GP100 more. It's my undertstaning from what I've read from various users experience regardless of the triogger that one gun may come with the 686 trigger can be made better than the GP100. Now both the Match Champion and 686 PC where chosen because they had trigger work. Out of the box I find the Match Champion and the 686 PC both very nice. Of course I haven't been able to compare them to anything other than what I currently own.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:00 am

North Country Gal wrote:
... I would have too say that even though I really liike SA Revolvers and the Vaquero is a real looker that it would have to be both the S&W 686 and Ruger GP 100 Match Champion. In the future I will always opt for the gun with the sweeter trigger.
Been doing that for many years, now, and it really does pay off. Well worth waiting till you get an individual gun with that just right trigger. I went two years and over a half dozen Springfield Armory Mil spec 45s inspected at our LGS till I found the one with the excellent out of the box trigger. Glad I waited. Have gone through a couple of 1911 purges to make room for other guns, but my old trusty Mil-spec never got sold or traded and never will. Despite its lack of anything fancy and budget 1911 price, this one has been a fantastic shooter.

Imagefree image hosting site
One's a bit better on the eye's but the other is more pleasurable to fire. To this point I've been using only 124 grain 9mm since I read some where it might be better to break in some of my new 9mm Semi Autos. However after a bit of looking around I saw at least one comment that stated 124grain had a bit of a harsh recoil. Anyway I think I may need to give some lower grain 9mm ammo a try.

The Sig P226 Tac Ops just has a bigger and much better rubber grip and overall this gun soaks up more of the recoil.

0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:44 pm

How do you like the 10 shot GP 100 22. I looked at getting one but I havent done it yet.
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:45 am

BigAl52 wrote:How do you like the 10 shot GP 100 22. I looked at getting one but I havent done it yet.

I would recomend taking a look at both the Ruger GP100 22 and S&W 617 10 shot. Personally I choose the GP100 first because of finish, sights, and lack of the lug in this length. The S&W in 6" just felt a bit barrel heavy. I've actually used a bit of model paint first gloss white, then gloss orange on my S&W 617 4" sight. I actually like the trigger on the 617 a bit better but find overall I tend to be a little more accurate and I like my Ruger GP100 22 better. By the way I fire both using SA, Double Action hardly ever.

By the way I also purchased a speed loader for both guns. During my research I came across one from Ansac which is made from steel and aluminum and a much better quality than any other that typically is made out of plastic. I actually had to purchase a Speed Beez for my Ruger SP101 and I can tell you for a slightly higher price the Ansac is definitely a better quality speedloader. There were two websites that I found that sold them but the one I purchased from actually had the option of the Speedloader, Loading Block, and Pelican Case combo. but this combo will actually run you about 104 dollars. However I have found it a more enjoyable range visit using the speed loader vs hand loading them. I do have arthritis so this has something to do with it but still it's just more enjoyable using a speedloader especially with smaller rounds. I purchased speed loaders for my 357s but handloading on these is actually the way I end up going about it. Just not necessary for just for fun shooting using a 357 in my opinion.

http://www.4wheelguns.com/Ansac_Speedlo ... 0shot.html
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:34 am

Thanks for the insight on the GP I have a 617 10 shot and like it alot but I was also liking the looks of the Ruger. I dont currently own any speed loaders but thanks also for the link.
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:23 am

BigAl52 wrote:Thanks for the insight on the GP I have a 617 10 shot and like it alot but I was also liking the looks of the Ruger. I dont currently own any speed loaders but thanks also for the link.
Frankly I'm at the point that I wonder if the S&W 617 in 6" might have been a better bet for me. Something when firing the 617 4" just doesn't work for me as well as the GP100 22.

I did fine without the speedloaders for the time, but now that I have them I enjoy the experience a bit more. I do have a number of SAs and I don't mind and in fact enjoy that experience. So I guess it's just after firing one of those that when I transition to one of my DAs I guess I'm just more in the mood for a quicker loading process so that I can just enjoy shooting it more if that makes sense.

I'll typically at least fire one SA, 1 DA, and then one Semi Auto per range visit.
0 x