Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Standard Manufacturing SAA

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Standard Manufacturing SAA

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:49 pm

I think the last stronghold for revolvers is in the self-defense arena with revolvers like my Kimber K6s which is double action only, no exposed hammer to catch on clothing and so on. The simple draw and shoot with no manual safety to disengage is functionally the same as a Glock, all the more so with high end DAO guns like the Kimber having excellent out of the box DA pulls. The DA pulls on these high end versions of DAO guns is in a different league than the standard DA pull on the average DA revolver. A Kimber or high end PC Smith DAO actually has an advantage of our a Glock in that these guns can be fired form a pocket with no slide to hang up on clothing. Semi auto Glock style guns have a great capacity, of course, but, statistically. most civilian encounters that involve an actual exchange of shots are over in less than 5 or so shots, away. A snub nose like a Kimber K6S actually has a similar capacity to micro semi autos which are now very popular as carry guns, anyway. The simple ease of operation also helps these DAO revolvers to sell. No slide to rack, ever. Lastly, DAO guns like the Kimber can be chambered in 357, which still has the best track record for one shot stops, significantly better than the ever popular 9mm.

As for SA revolvers being useless and obsolete, check out what top notch CAS shooters can do with a SA revolver. They can compete with rate of fire and accuracy with a semi auto. Once again, the shooter can make up for a lot of design shortcomings.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:00 pm

I don't know what it's like where you live NCG but here in the PNW there are lots of shooting opportunities with the large percentage of public land. The Deschutes National Forest is literally minutes from my house. Even in the larger areas one can be out of town in not long and usually bordered by a NF or BLM land.
Because of the nearly unlimited shooting opportunities a revolver makes more sense in this environment due to the greater range and typical accuracy advantages over a semi auto. There are lots of varmint shooting opportunities here are for this a quality revolver provides a lot of sport.
Even if just field shooting at random targets (which I enjoy) I prefer the revolver due to the advantages of a better trigger for SA shooting and the advantage of loading higher velocity ammo.
This and the other reasons are why I think revolvers may have a larger 'following' around here than say in other places where there are few to no outdoor shooting opportunities.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:41 pm

"The last stronghold for revolvers" sounds to be a solid place to be. I like many of the points you made about the effectiveness of wheel guns, NCG.

My 3-inch Ruger LCRx .38 special + "P" snubby has become for me the perfect CCW/HD firearm. I really liked the SP101 revolvers I had, particularly my first revolver I ever owned -- a fixed-ramp 3" D/A snubby in .357 Magnum. It was also my first CCW firearm.

But the 27 oz. weight of the SP101 eventually became too heavy to carry in my IWB holster. The hunt was on, and discovered the LCRx revolver series. I found that the weight of my current LCRx at 16.7 oz. was perfectly suited for a CCW firearm; pretty certain Ruger designed this revolver series for this purpose. This revolver has a standard exposed hammer, although Ruger offers models with no exposed hammers. But none but this specific LCRx model has a full-sized Hogue Tamer grip as stock equipment. I had this grip on my SP101, and they are great. They really help with any ammo load that carries recoil on the “stout” side. I think that Ruger really nailed this gun design! The DA trigger pull is quite smooth and light for a pocket revolver. So with the gun hunt over; the next step was for a suitable HD ammo.
Ruger LCRX DA Revolver.jpg
Right now I've loaded the revolver with Hornady CD 110gr FTX ammo. I've checked with some KCMO LEOs I know, and this is an "acceptable" round. I've also read in a tactical defense report that for this gun "158-grain all-lead hollow point (LHP), sometimes known as the semi-wadcutter hollow point, ….has proven to be a solid performer in 2-inch to 4-inch .38 revolvers." Speer's 135gr Gold Dot +P HPs and CorBon's 110gr DPX +P HPs point both perform well in my snubby. So I have some options as long as I practice regularly with the load, which is carried in the revolver. Bottom line for me, this revolver has the solo function/use for HD. As always, hopefully never needed.

Always look forward to chats on wheel guns!
PT7
North Country Gal wrote:….I think the last stronghold for revolvers is in the self-defense arena with revolvers.
….statistically, most civilian encounters that involve an actual exchange of shots are over in less than 5 or so shots, away.
….A snub nose like a Kimber K6S actually has a similar capacity to micro semi autos.
….The simple ease of operation also helps

As for SA revolvers being useless and obsolete, check out what top notch CAS shooters can do with a SA revolver. They can compete with rate of fire and accuracy with a semi auto. Once again, the shooter can make up for a lot of design shortcomings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:55 pm

On the conversation of HD, this is one of mine. .45LC/410ga. 5 cycl, 3 loaded with .410 PD shot/disc and the last 2 with .45LC.
PD.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:38 am

RanchRoper wrote:I wasn't planning to leave mine to anyone anyway, it's going with me to Boot Hill. :D
I don't they allow guns RR :D
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:54 am

For concealed carry I don't think you could beat Colt Walker....haha :)
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:20 am

If I were buying a revolver these days, it would likely be a 5” S&W 629, but I did my best ever handgun shooting with a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 mag. I find it much easier to shoot the SA revolvers accurately.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:44 am

While we do have a fair amount of public land in Wisconsin, a lot of it is closed to target shooting. In some counties, it is banned, completely. Our DNR is trying to add more public use ranges to help, but, as with everything else, money is short. Overall, your best bet in this state is to join a club, as we have done, if you want to target shoot on a regular basis.

I should have added that another place revolvers (and specialty pistols like my Contenders) will always hold strong is for hunting, of course. As we all know, however, hunting as a motivator to buy guns isn't what it used to be. I started handgun hunting in the 70s, back when there was a strong spike in popularity for handgun hunting, thanks to a few gun writers of the day. Silhouette was also exploding in popularity and that also spiked interest in revolvers. Silhouette, of course, is now only a ghost of what it once was in terms of popularity.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:12 pm

Silhouette, of course, is now only a ghost of what it once was in terms of popularity.
Heck name ANY previously popular shooting sport that isn't a 'ghost' of what it was. Look at muzzleloading for example - only vestiges of people still involved and dang few (very few) newcomers to the sport. I know one guy who is heavily into it and at 49 he mentions he is the youngest attendee of any of the gatherings/rendezvous he goes to on a regular basis. It seems most of the 'traditional' shooting sports got pushed out of the way by the onslaught of 'tactical' black gun craze that exploded in the mid 90s - and prevailed into the 2000s but it too seems to have hit the high water mark with the 'wave' receding as of late.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:21 pm

Looking back, the early 90s seemed to be the turning point when the self-defense handgun market exploded along with all the action shooting sports and the up close shooting distances for handguns became the norm. Really put the hurt on the more traditional take your time and aim target shooting sports.

Still see 95% of handgun shooters at our range blasting away almost as fast as they can pull the trigger at our 7 yard pistol targets with the 10 yard target coming in second for use. These two target stands have to be changed three or four times as often as our 16 yard target. In all my years at our range, I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen anyone shooting a handgun at 25 yards and then, only from a rest. 50 yards? Not once. Have had people stare disbelief when they've seen me shooting a revolver at 50 yards. Times have changed since those early days when 50 yards with revolvers for hunting or bullseye work was considered completely normal and 100 yards was considered practical with the right rig.
1 x