Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Standard Manufacturing SAA

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Standard Manufacturing SAA

Post by Mistered » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:53 am

I have actually seen a few nice Colt SAAs lately under $2000 - and more like in the $15-1600 range. Even Colt 'snakes' are beginning to move considerably lower. The 'softening' of the gun market as a whole is reaching the higher end market but even then some models were priced beyond what the market would bear. There is no doubt a slow, but steady resurgence of interest in classic revolvers and while Smith & Wesson seems to be at the forefront of this the prices are not climbing dramatically - actually they are holding fairly steady even for the more desirable models.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:20 am

Having recently purchased two .45LC Uberti revolvers (Cattleman S/A and Russian S/A top break), your math is pretty close to accurate, RR. Only the Russian was a little higher than your average per gun; but I went for the unusual model on that one.
RanchRoper wrote:$3250 is 6 1/2 Ubertis....
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:21 am

Mistered wrote:I have actually seen a few nice Colt SAAs lately under $2000 - and more like in the $15-1600 range. Even Colt 'snakes' are beginning to move considerably lower. The 'softening' of the gun market as a whole is reaching the higher end market but even then some models were priced beyond what the market would bear. There is no doubt a slow, but steady resurgence of interest in classic revolvers and while Smith & Wesson seems to be at the forefront of this the prices are not climbing dramatically - actually they are holding fairly steady even for the more desirable models.
I'm seeing the same thing with the vintage revolver market. I expect it will hold steady for awhile, thanks to us oldsters who grew up with revolvers and appreciate them, but once we're gone I expect the demand will likely see a drop. The younger generation has now grown up on semi-autos and when I see the younger folks shooting at our range, it is very rare to see them with a revolver. In fact, seeing anyone else shooting revolvers is the exception. I'm even seeing this trend at our local gun shops. The sections with revolvers are now much smaller than the sections with semi-autos. Even up here in the boonies, revolvers sell slower than the bottom feeders and this is especially true of the single actions. The owners of our shops both tell me that single action revolvers are very slow to sell, so they're reluctant to stock them.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:50 am

North Country Gal wrote:I'm seeing the same thing with the vintage revolver market. I expect it will hold steady for awhile, thanks to us oldsters who grew up with revolvers and appreciate them, but once we're gone I expect the demand will likely see a drop.

sad but almost certainly true .... over the years I've purchased revolvers for my wife, daughter and both sons .... the boys have since purchased handguns of their own and none have been revolvers ....
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:01 pm

I wasn't planning to leave mine to anyone anyway, it's going with me to Boot Hill. :D
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

rwortman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by rwortman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:16 pm

I guess I am not enough of a history buff and I am not going to start competing in CAS so not for me. I know a few people that like single action revolvers but not me. Now, I like my lever action rifles but I think they are still pretty practical. I can't think of anything a single action revolver can do that a double action can't.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:46 pm

rwortman wrote:... I can't think of anything a single action revolver can do that a double action can't.
I agree with that. But then I shoot my DA revolvers mostly as SA. I get better results at the target shooting SA. If I were to come across an affordable SA revolver like RR's, SA wouldn't stop my purchase.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

rwortman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by rwortman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:10 pm

Mags wrote:
rwortman wrote:... I can't think of anything a single action revolver can do that a double action can't.
I agree with that. But then I shoot my DA revolvers mostly as SA. I get better results at the target shooting SA. If I were to come across an affordable SA revolver like RR's, SA wouldn't stop my purchase.
Agree about shooting a DA revolver SA when target shooting. On the other hand, I have a J frame Smith with a shrouded hammer as a carry gun. No SA shooting that. If you carry a revolver for protection, you probably ought to practice with a DA revolver and shoot DA most of the time. I would hate to pull out a gun and spend precious seconds trying to thumb a non-existent hammer. I have read several gun litigation experts say that cocking a revolver and then shooting someone opens up a can of worms involving premeditated intent, etc. However, for hunting, a big ole SA cowboy gun would work just fine.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:19 pm

rwortman wrote:I guess I am not enough of a history buff and I am not going to start competing in CAS so not for me. I know a few people that like single action revolvers but not me. Now, I like my lever action rifles but I think they are still pretty practical. I can't think of anything a single action revolver can do that a double action can't.
understood and tend to agree .... I like the look of a single action revolver but that pretty much is the end of their attraction for me .... my first set of revolvers was a matched set of single action Ruger 44 mag, 357, and 22LR .... the 44 Mag Blackhawk put black bear, boar, and deer in the freezer .... for a while in college I worked at a western tourist trap in their shows doing fast draw and shooting demonstrations .... the bottom line is, I don't like the way the grip of a powerful single action tends to rotate in my hand .... I got rid of all 3 and have been using the same Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag every since .... the vast majority of the time, I fire it single action and by its grip design, I can get back on target much quicker for followup shots
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:40 pm

I'm seeing the same thing with the vintage revolver market. I expect it will hold steady for awhile, thanks to us oldsters who grew up with revolvers and appreciate them, but once we're gone I expect the demand will likely see a drop.
Largely in part true but I am seeing a bit of an uptick of interest in revolvers with the somewhat 'younger' crowd - at least in my area anyway.
A PNW based gun forum I am a member of has a wide age range with members and whenever a a nice revolver is posted for sale there is a far amount of responses as well as some of them being bought by 'younger' people.
I think there is an appreciation for quality revolvers with some and for the ones who are more 'serious' about their shooting (and plan to stick with it) see revolvers as providing a better shooting 'experience' as opposed to just blazing away with semi-autos.
I do agree however the long term demand will most likely go down.
0 x