Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

SW22 Victory

rwortman
Wrangler
United States of America

SW22 Victory

Post by rwortman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:33 pm

Been wanting a .22 pistol for a while. I have a Dan Wesson .22 revolver that is a great gun but I don't really like shooting it. It's a big heavy gun that doesn't balance like a semi-auto. I know there are lots of Ruger Mark _ fans out there but I have only shot two of them and both were jam city. One was mine and I screwed with that thing until someone stole it and I never got it to run right. Every other mag it should jam the nose of a bullet into the bottom edge of the loading ramp. Seemed like the mags just sat too low in the gun. The other one was at a CCW qualification class. Stovepipe jam about every 15 rounds. Instructor said I wasn't holding it tight enough. It's a .22, shouldn't have to have a death grip on it for it to run right. Just put about 100 rounds through the Smith in my backyard with one FTF with the cheapest ammo Winchester sells. Probably a weak charge. Sweet shooting and more accurate than me. I like it.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: SW22 Victory

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:07 pm

I've done a few posts on our Victory, so might be worth digging through some old range reports.

I've owned dozens of Ruger Marks over the years and most have been very reliable with jams being quite rare. Now and then I've had one that needed work to get it to function, reliably, but it was simply a matter of going with a better extractor or, more typically, just replacing a magazine. As with any model of semi-auto, though, now and then you can get one that simply defies any attempt to get it to shoot, reliably. One of the big plusses for Ruger Marks, though, is that they are probably the most durable semi-autos ever made. Have worked on so many of them, I can take them apart in my sleep, now.

No, the reason I now shoot a Victory, rather than a Ruger Mark, is the really topnotch accuracy. of the Victory. A friend of mine told me that his Victory will shoot right along with his high dollar S&W Model 41 and that I should give one a try. I took his advice and glad I did. Remarkably accurate gun for the money. Love ours.
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks for the reminder to take my Victory out for some gunsmoke therapy.
The only issue I have had with mine was the takedown screw worked loose on my second range trip. A touch of VibraTite on the threads and have had no problems since. Absolutely great trigger on it and the grip fits my hand perfectly.
Great gun for the money S&W got this one right.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:10 pm

The S&W Victory is a great pistol for the money. Mine is as accurate as I can shoot and extremely reliable with all the ammo that I have tried. I put a Vortex Venom red dot sight on it which works really well. Over the last few years I have gone through a .22 semiauto pistol phase and own most of the popular ones. My favorite that goes with me daily when I’m out and about on my place is a Ruger SR22. It is safe, light, accurate, reliable, shoots everything, and is easy to disassemble and clean. I used it to kill two copperheads on the place last week. Take a look at one if you are in the market for a 22 semiauto handgun.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:14 pm

Tnman which one do you have the long barrel version or the compact of the SR22. I looked real hard at getting one but havent yet. I sure do like my Ruger MarkIV lite with the Burris fastfire on it,
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:58 pm

Mine is the shorter barrel version. I have an old MkII target model that is very nice too but not nearly as handy to carry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:28 am

Appreciate you both sharing the "two sides of the coin" on the Ruger Mark semi-autos; or as can apply generally to semi-autos.

I am a wheel gun fellow, and much prefer my revolvers. I was really hesitant about getting my Mark IV because of the potential of "jam city." However, I've been very pleased with the operation of mine. I got it late last winter, and have put +600 near-flawless shots down range with various ammo brands. Got a good gun, and have had a good experience with it.

NCG's comments also hold true: "I've owned dozens of Ruger Marks over the years and most have been very reliable with jams being quite rare.....Now and then I've had one that needed work to get it to function, reliably."

I'd say the "two sides of the coin" shared here are potentially true of any gun ever made.
We all are hopeful that we "draw a good gun" when we buy one :!: :D :!:
Thanks much for your good posts.
PT7
rwortman wrote:Been wanting a .22 pistol for a while. …... I know there are lots of Ruger Mark _ fans out there but I have only shot two of them and both were jam city.
North Country Gal wrote:I've owned dozens of Ruger Marks over the years and most have been very reliable with jams being quite rare. Now and then I've had one that needed work to get it to function, reliably, but it was simply a matter of going with a better extractor or, more typically, just replacing a magazine. As with any model of semi-auto, though, now and then you can get one that simply defies any attempt to get it to shoot, reliably. One of the big plusses for Ruger Marks, though, is that they are probably the most durable semi-autos ever made. Have worked on so many of them, I can take them apart in my sleep, now.
0 x

~Пока~

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:57 am

I was considering purchasing a Victory before I found the Mark II. I saved a bit of money buy it used (another thread). I've only had it out once and it seems very accurate (more than me) and I did not receive any jams shooting 150 rounds through it.
0 x

rwortman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by rwortman » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:13 pm

I am quite sure that the Rugers deserve their sterling reputation. The first one I owned was purchased used and I have no idea what the previous owner might have done to it. The second one was a shooting range rental gun that had who knows how much abuse and might have been filthy inside. Not much of a representative sample. Additionally the S&W I bought was 8 miles away and I would have had to drive quite a ways for a Ruger at a similar price. I am sure a good one of either is a great gun.

BTW I did not find taking that old Ruger apart difficult at all.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:35 pm

BTW I did not find taking that old Ruger apart difficult at all.[/quote]

Ive never had an issue with that either and I think some people just complain about the littlest things. The Ruger Mark IV lite I bought at a very good price. I bought after I made fun of a close friend of mine buying one in a muddy girl version which has some pink on it. He let me shoot his and it was a blast to shoot because they are so light. His had a red dot on it like mine does and he got it so cheap I dont blame him for buying it. Especially now since I had to have one after shooting his.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55