Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Up and coming Cowboy Fast Draw shooter

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Up and coming Cowboy Fast Draw shooter

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:48 pm

Just had to share this with the rest of you folks who are partial to the six gun. I have a friend whom I work with at the stockyards where he is a pen rider. He and his 17 year old son and 15 year old daughter are very much into Cowboy Fast Draw competition. Recently they traveled to South Dakota for a big national shoot up there. His son placed 10 th overall with hundreds of competitors from all over the Country. He was in a shoot off with a gentleman from Virginia who has been shooting competively for fifteen years and ended up winning the whole shebang. According to my friend , the shooter stands 21 feet from a two foot square target. A light comes on in the center of the target to signal to Draw and fire. When the bullet strikes the target the light goes off and the time is electronically recorded. My friend's son and the man from Virginia were recording times in the range of .350 to .360 of a second and apparently the two went at it for a number of rounds. In the end the gentlemen form Virginia recorded a .330 of a second to win their shoot off and go on to claim top honors. He told my friend that his boy had really gave him a run for his money and he had to dig down deep to pull off the win. Needless to say old Cleve is pretty proud ! Did I mention his son has only been shooting the Cowboy Fast Draw for two years ? Just thought it was a purty neat story to share with you all.
9 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Up and coming Cowboy Fast Draw shooter

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:50 pm

Ozarkridgerunner wrote:Just had to share this with the rest of you folks who are partial to the six gun. I have a friend whom I work with at the stockyards where he is a pen rider. He and his 17 year old son and 15 year old daughter are very much into Cowboy Fast Draw competition. Recently they traveled to South Dakota for a big national shoot up there. His son placed 10 th overall with hundreds of competitors from all over the Country. He was in a shoot off with a gentleman from Virginia who has been shooting competively for fifteen years and ended up winning the whole shebang. According to my friend , the shooter stands 21 feet from a two foot square target. A light comes on in the center of the target to signal to Draw and fire. When the bullet strikes the target the light goes off and the time is electronically recorded. My friend's son and the man from Virginia were recording times in the range of .350 to .360 of a second and apparently the two went at it for a number of rounds. In the end the gentlemen form Virginia recorded a .330 of a second to win their shoot off and go on to claim top honors. He told my friend that his boy had really gave him a run for his money and he had to dig down deep to pull off the win. Needless to say old Cleve is pretty proud ! Did I mention his son has only been shooting the Cowboy Fast Draw for two years ? Just thought it was a purty neat story to share with you all. Almost forgot to mention , his daughter also did very well placing in the top five in her division.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:13 am

I've seen videos of some Cowboy Fast Draw competitions, including the SD competition held in 2017. They are lots of fun to watch. Many cool 8-) looking cowboy outfits, cowboy hats, and firearm accessories (e.g. holsters and gun belts) are worn by the competitors, too. Sounds like your co-worker and his kids had a great time of it. It's an interesting shooting sport for sure!
cfd.jpg
Thanks for sharing the story, Ozark.
PT7

Ozarkridgerunner wrote:Just had to share this with the rest of you folks who are partial to the six gun. …... He told my friend that his boy had really gave him a run for his money and he had to dig down deep to pull off the win. Needless to say old Cleve is pretty proud ! Did I mention his son has only been shooting the Cowboy Fast Draw for two years ? Just thought it was a purty neat story to share with you all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

~Пока~

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Abnermal » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:46 am

Wonderful story! Warms my heart to see young people active in the shooting sports! I wish I had started at a younger age when the eyesight and reflexes were better.
1 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:09 am

Ozarkridgerunner wrote: ? Just thought it was a purty neat story to share with you all.
It was indeed. The young man will obviously be one to watch on the fast draw circuit in years to come.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:50 am

Great story, thanks for sharing it! Your co-worker has every right to be a very proud papa!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:00 am

congrats to your friend and his family .... thanks for posting their story, I can personally attest to the degree of dedicated effort/practice that they have committed to this competition ... back in my much, much younger days I worked at a local Western Town (AKA tourist trap) .... along with working the chair lift, gold panning area, driving the bus for folks who were afraid to ride the chair lift, and driving a 4-up stage coach, I gave fast draw and shooting demonstrations in one of the shows that rotated throughout the day .... my favorite fast draw video features Cal Elrich and can be seen at this link ===> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p7XHr9H8bA .... I love it when Old Guys excel .. :D
3 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:53 am

Glad you folks enjoyed my story , thought you might. And to JEBar , thanks for the link. Wow ! Mr. Enrich is absolutely amazing. Love watching videos on guys like him and Bob Munden. Incredible. I would also like to mention that while we don't shoot competively , my children are pretty savvy shooters themselves ( I'll brag a little now!). Great to see the youngsters enjoy and develop a passion for shooting.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:41 am

Great video, JEBar! Sure would have liked to see a video of your demos.

The "hand clapper" was a really good sport, fast, and kept that big grin going while having so much fun! :D And I learned something new watching this. I think part of the reason the "newbies" were a "little slower" than Cal is that they forgot to wear their cowboy hats! :lol:

Gotta follow your great video with this fun one showing some neat cowboy action trick shooting and six gun twirling. The twirling has got to be a challenge with the weight of a steel six gun. Great cowboy music, too! Enjoy :!:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=co ... ORM=VRDGAR

PT7

JEBar wrote:..... I gave fast draw and shooting demonstrations in one of the shows that rotated throughout the day .... my favorite fast draw video features Cal Elrich and can be seen at this link ===> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p7XHr9H8bA .... I love it when Old Guys excel .. :D
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:53 pm

thankfully, I wasn't ever in a video .... heck, back when I was involved, it took a pretty good still camera to have a fast enough shutter speed to catch anything but a blur .... there is a big gap in the skill necessary to compete in fast draw competition where any type of a single bullet is involved and those firing heavy black powder loads (AKA theatrical blanks) with a slow-burning powder component that can break a balloon type target at a range of up to 20 feet with no bullet .... back then I used my own very light 38 spl ammo in a slightly modified 357 Ruger Blackhawk .... at my best, I couldn't hold a candle to the fellows .... back then we lived in the NC mountains I enjoyed practicing by walking through the woods, revolver holstered, and hunt "boomers" .... info on boomers given below is taken from this link === https://www.smokymountainnews.com/news/ ... el-stories

"There are four species of tree squirrel that are resident in the Blue Ridge province: gray squirrels; fox squirrels; red squirrels; northern flying squirrels; and southern flying squirrels. My favorite is the red squirrel, which is often known locally as the “mountain boomer.” I have also heard them called “pine” squirrels, because unlike gray squirrels, which prefer oak forests and acorns, these little critters often frequent conifer stands to feed upon seeds. In the Blue Ridge, they are found primarily in hemlock and spruce-fir forests, but sometimes they’ll frequent mixed conifer-hardwood forests.

Whereas a gray squirrel will average about 18 inches in length and sometimes weigh a pound, a boomer will be about 12 inches and hardly exceed half a pound. Its reddish-dark back and light belly are separated in summer by a lateral black stripe. The tail hairs are yellow tipped.

There’s no animal as fast as the mountain boomer, the little red squirrel that haunts our high-altitude forests. ‘He’s so fast,’ said Lindsey Rogers, a mountain man who grew up at a time when the woods were full of boomers, ‘he can cut a buckeye off the limb of a tree and outrun it to the ground. He’ll be standing there and looking up by the time it hits the ground."

OK, they are quick but they ain't quiet that quick .. :? .. lets just say, hunting them with a holstered revolver was challenging and I really did enjoy it
4 x