Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

revolver grips

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

revolver grips

Post by The Wiz » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:42 pm

Now that I have shot the snot out of my new Model 67 ( quoting NCG) my thoughts have wandered to replacing the grips with wood. In looking at the many, many, many choices out there, a few questions from my fertile mind have arisen. First of all, can I still a box of 50 and still have feeling in my hands, fingers, etc. That is what I usually shoot. No +P's. What advantages does a target grip have over anything else? What the heck if a Magna grip and does it have advantages. How about panels? What is their advantages other than price. And does price really matter. All the grip makers seem to use the same woods. And does it make sense to change back and forth between different types of grips as some sites suggest. That sounds like a big pain in the butt and expensive. Well, I think that's it. Any other things I might have not thought to ask, feel free to volunteer. :?
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: revolver grips

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:26 pm

Very good questions, Wiz

Revolver grips fall into two general categories, either carry grips or target grips. Carry grips are typically trimmer and more slender and are primarily about concealment and drawing the gun, quickly. Target grips are larger and more hand filling for better control while shooting, which is an aid in accuracy, as well as handling recoil.

The old S&W Magna grip was a basic carry grip. It's been standard issue on S&W revolvers for decades, though for a period of time, you could order your Smith with a target grip as an option. Here's the magna on our S&W Model 28-2 357.
Imagejpg upload free

Our 28-2, though, is basically my husband's gun and those dinky magna grips are a horrible choice for his huge paws for target work. I found an aftermarket set of target wood grips and modified them to fit his hand. He's a happy 28-2 shooter, now. Same gun, but with a target grip.

Then there are those grips that fall somewhere in between, with some features of both. Here's an example of a grip that is a popular type of grip used by action competition shooters. It's the grip on the left that came with my JM 625, a popular revolver in the revolver class of action shooting, designed by Jerry Miculek. The grip is thin in cross section to allow for a fast draw in competition, but still large enough to allow a more controlled grip. I am not an action shooter, however. I'm a target shooter, so I replaced it with the standard S&W target grip that is now on the revolver. Does a much better job for target work.

My advice is choose a grip based on your primary use for your revolver and then stick with it for all uses. Learn the grip and how to use it. The reason for this is that a change in grips can definitely cause a change in where the gun shoots for you. Remember, all handguns are very sensitive as to how you grip them. Different grips will usually cause the gun to shoot, differently.

As for choice of material, every type has it's advantages and disadvantages. On the really nasty kickers, most folks go with the rubber grips for the sake of recoil. Properly designed wood grips can handle recoil, too, but most of us go with "retread" grips and the heck with looks on the big magnums. :)
5 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:15 pm

I decided to purchase some wooden "Bateleun" type grips from Altamont. Price was right for the experiment. I will let ever one know how it works out and maybe some pictures.
1 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:45 pm

Yes, Please post some pics. I put Hogues on mine, but was looking at the Altamonts as well. Would love to hear about what you think and see how they look!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:02 pm

Might Check out Ahrends grips also I have a couple sets of theres. They are real nice. Ebay a lady by the name of Grip Seller usually has a large amount of grips for sale.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:55 pm

Grips where shipped today. I did look at Ahrends but they were more than I wanted to pay, but they were really, really nice!
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

If1Hitu
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by If1Hitu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:28 pm

I left the grips on mine,the ones the one you replaced. I do like your new ones North Country Gal.
0 x
A individual can't be a Army
A individual can't be a Navy.
A individual can't be a Air Force
A individual can't be a Coast Guard
A individual can be a MARINE! Semper Fi.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:35 pm

The Wiz wrote:Grips where shipped today. I did look at Ahrends but they were more than I wanted to pay, but they were really, really nice!
Let's see 'em when you get 'em!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:09 pm

I had to send them back. Some idiot ordered the wrong style. He was severely punished. But they sure were pretty while they were here. Replacements in about two weeks. :oops:
1 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856