Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Good CS from Taylor's & Company

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Good CS from Taylor's & Company

Post by PT7 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:06 am

In one of my chats with CT_Shooter, he suggested that if I ever needed work done or advice on either of my Uberti revovlers, call Taylor's & Company (T&C) and ask to directly speak with their gunsmith. That seemed like it might be a challenge to pull off; gunsmiths usually are very busy folk. But I kept the suggestion in mind.

Today in fact I did call them. The lady answering the phone was very polite, and ask me to hold on while she connected me to the gunsmith. BTW, he's the only gunsmith working at that company.....wow! Wanted to clarify the instruction manual's info on the hammer's "first cock position" (safety). There was a slight click just before I hit the first cock position, and learned from the gunsmith that it is the safety bar snaking up to block the firing pin from hitting a cartridge. Good to know it's operating okay!

Had some questions on dis-assembly for cleaning. There was nothing in the instruction manual. Again got some good help.

My last question was about how to maintain the standard blued finish (almost black appearance) on my Russian revolver. The instruction manual said my standard bluing was one type, and there was another bluing available called "charcoal blue finish." They are maintained differently. Mine will be easy as the gunsmith said a good polish is the best protection. So I'll be using the Renaissance once again!

The T&C web site has this blurp on the other "charcoal blue finish:"
Charcoal blue finish is a bright blue delicate over-oxidized bluing which will naturally patina to a soft grey color over a long period of time with handling and use.
The gunsmith told me this more "delicate" finish easily scratches, and also must be constantly oiled. Out of curiosity, I searched under the top-break revolvers on their web site and found a Schofield top-break with this charcoal bluing and a CCH frame. Sure is unusual-looking revolver color to me. Here is a photo for our entertainment. ;)
Schofield_charcoal_ blue.jpg
So not only did I receive good CS from both persons I chatted with today, the gunsmith enjoyed talking about the revolvers he maintains, and said he loves his job!

Glad I called.....C_T shooter was absolutely right about Taylor's & Company having their CS act together. :)
PT7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Good CS from Taylor's & Company

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:08 am

Good info. I'm going to try to get all future Uberti purchases through them.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Good CS from Taylor's & Company

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:08 pm

Nice to hear. I have not had to contact Cimarron yet so no idea how they respond. I'd go through my dealer here first though. Having a chat with a gunsmith is not too shabby for sure.

*Cimarron offers what they call "original finish" on their firearms, maybe Taylors does too.
19815843348_d0c6a1ce48_c.jpg
It is supposed to give it an antique or period look, but if you were in the 1880's wouldn't your gun look new? If it looked like this back then, you wouldn't buy it.... :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully