PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: .45LC Russian secured in KCMO

Post by PT7 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:13 pm

Thanks on the revolver compliment, Jim.

To answer your question, wrote a brief explanation following this photo:
Russian- release top break_2535.jpg
All this has to be done with the hammer in the safety position. To release the top break, I grab the lock plate (the round "checkered" head is on both sides) with thumb and forefinger, and pull up. Comes up about 30* or so on a screw as the end by the hammer releases from the frame assembly. The upward rotation happens right under the rear sight.

When I have the revolver completely opened, the ejector star automatically drops back into the cylinder, and this latch also drops flush to the barrel top. That happens so quickly you can almost miss seeing it. After re-loading ammo, just close it up and the latch locks it back to the frame.

Trust my explanation is clear....this is all new to me, and I'm just learning how to operate this revolver. It's been interesting. :)
JEBar wrote:that's way beyond very nice .... what opens the top lock :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:20 am

info appreciated .... what is the function of the tang (for lack of a better term) hanging down from the trigger guard :?:
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:57 am

I've learned in my reading that it is called a "trigger spur." Again, I haven't shot my revolver yet. But just in cleaning and handling it, checking the sights, etc., I agree with what I've found is the stated purpose behind it. This revolver is heavy, weighing in at 2-1/2 lbs. When I've held it like I do my other revolvers, just by the grip, it becomes even heavier to keep upright and manage. When I put my middle finger into the trigger spur, I feel that I have better control of the gun. It doesn't fall as easily forward when I bring the grip solidly into my palm using the trigger spur.

When I think of the history behind it, that spur makes good sense in controlling the gun. It's primary use by Russian soldiers in WWI was on horseback. You shoot with one hand only, so the gun needed to be under good control. I can only imagine how this spur would help the soldier keep the gun in place at a gallop. Maybe RR can comment, if he has ever un-holstered his revolver while riding..... ;)

I shoot with my right hand. Again in handling this gun, I've found that by working a slightly different hold with my left hand, I think it can be easily shot two-handed as well. BTW, even with my larger hands, there is plenty of room behind
the trigger spur to hold the grip only and leave the spur empty. But so far, I like the feel of the trigger spur.

There might be other functions for the spur that I don't know about. That's about it until I shoot it, and possibly learn more.
JEBar wrote:info appreciated .... what is the function of the tang (for lack of a better term) hanging down from the trigger guard :?:
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:19 am

from its appearance it was designed as part of the grip .... with its use as a Calvary weapon that makes sense
1 x

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:36 pm

Extremely nice looking pistol....a 38spcl would be fun to shoot....
1 x