Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.45LC Russian secured in KCMO

PT7
Drover
United States of America

.45LC Russian secured in KCMO

Post by PT7 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:52 pm

Picked up my new Uberti replica revolver at the LGS yesterday.
Of course, I'm prejudiced, but still must say it is one very sharp-looking revolver!

Did an initial cleaning today, followed by a first photo shoot.
Next will be the test range visit (will post) -- looking forward to that!
PT7

Russian 1874 .45LC Top Break Revolver (a historical Russian 422 Line Revolver)
(Manufactured by S&W; Post-1877 was identified as a No. 3 Model, Schofield Top Break)

DSCN2532.JPG
DSCN2533.JPG
DSCN2534.JPG
DSCN2541.JPG
DSCN2544.JPG
DSCN2543.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: .45LC Russian secured in KCMO

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:22 pm

That is soooo cool. I love it!!! Right out of the late 1800s. Now you've got me wanting one. :)
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:26 pm

Oh ya. What she said.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:27 pm

Damn..... I just drooled on my iPad.......Again.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:17 am

RSb, you need to cut that drooling out. iPad's do not respond well when that happens! :lol:
And I can guarantee that if you get one of these revolvers, the drooling will go away.

NCG, I love it, too. First revolver I've bought just to have it! And the Russian history behind it played a large part in my getting it. I have a Slavic heritage (Dad was raised in former Yugoslavia), and I have two degrees in Russian Culture and Language. I can also speak, read, and write "survival" Russian. Too many years of not living near many Russian folk, so I'm rusty.

Anyway, Uberti engraved something totally unexpected on the top of the barrel. I've not been able to take a photo because the dark engraving easily gets lost in the blued barrel. But I'll keep on trying. This is what they put there, very tiny letters, but beautiful engraving:

3-я русская оружейная фабрика А. Уберти Италия

Another reason I love this 1874 Russian; for me, this extra identification in Russian language is great.
The engraving translates to "3rd Russian weapon factory of A. Uberti Italy."

Glad you like the looks of the Russian, too. I think it is one you should go for. The top break is so different from anything I've handled before in firearms. I hope shooting it will be as enjoyable as the working of the mechanics I've been doing so far!

Yup, RR, I do know why you would want one. You're Cowboy-action folk through and through! When you can have a gun that looks so close to an original from the late 1800s, yet shoots with modern ammo and is well-made, it shouts to you. I've been pleased so far with my 1873 Cattleman, and with the NOOB 1874 Russian....kinda have gotten hooked myself on the single-action revolvers.

Appreciate all your comments. Range report will be comin' along.
PT7

North Country Gal wrote:That is soooo cool. I love it!!! Right out of the late 1800s. Now you've got me wanting one. :)
RanchRoper wrote:Oh ya. What she said.
RetiredSeabee wrote:Damn..... I just drooled on my iPad.......Again.
1 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:14 am

That's very impressive on the Russian culture and language, PT. I'm of slavic descent, too, on my father's side. I'm half Slovak, but our family name actually translated to Cossack, so our roots could be any nationality from that part of the world, given that Cossacks were multi-national horse people clans. We've traced our family back to the early 1800s to a Cossack that was hired by the Polish to teach their people cavalry tactics. The other half of my heritage is all Viking, so I come from a long line of raiders and pillagers. :)

Back to guns. I think these top break revolvers are a wonderful development. They were far more popular in the Old West than our TV and movie westerns depicted. I do remember the Schofield Kid in Unforgiven, though. Might have to pull that one out of the collection and watch it, tonight.
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:23 am

Very nice! And great back-story as well! Can't wait to hear the range report! Thanks for sharing.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:44 am

Beautiful!
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:12 pm

Hey, NCG,

Thanks for your last comments. Although I am a little side-tracked from chatting about the .45LC Russian, it's cool 8-) to learn that you are also of Slavic descent. You especially caught my interest with your connection to Cossacks. So here I am once more off the beaten path! :)

In college, I enjoyed some coursework re. Cossacks. They were a large part of Russian history, mythology, and both literature & painting. Fascinating studies. As you know, I love to read; constantly am reading. That's a good thing, since I had to read so much Russian lit in college! Here are a couple of comments about Cossacks, which I hope you might find interesting: one book and one famous painting.

Repin. When I studied in Russia, I purchased a coffee table book of the paintings by Ilya Repin. Probably my favorite work of his is the "Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks to Sultan Mehmed IV of the Ottoman Empire." (What a wordy title....quite a lot like my wordiness! :lol: ) I saw this canvas painting displayed in the State Russian Museum in St. Petersburg, and is probably my favorite work of Repin's. Check this out ---- a beautiful and powerful painting of Cossacks:
ILYA REPIN_Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks_1893.jpg
Cossacks & Cowboys. You mentioned looking at your family's genealogy back to the early 1800s, and wrote this perfect description: "...Cossacks were multi-national horse people clans." So here is a more contemporary book of literary criticism (published in 1992) that interestingly shows the connection between the Cossacks and the American Cowboy, and what that means in terms of the national life of the two countries. Following is a brief write-up I found introducing the book's content:

The Cossack Hero in Russian Literature
A Study in Cultural Mythology
by Judith Deutsch Kornblatt
(Book review excerpt from uwpress.wisc.edu)

Both wild and familiar, alien and self, the Russian Cossacks came to represent in nineteenth-century literature their nation's seemingly endless frontier, strongly influencing the self-image of the Russian people.

The Cossack Hero in Russian Literature is the first book to study the development of the Cossack hero and to identify him as part of Russian cultural mythology. Judith Kornblatt explores the power of the myth as a literary image, providing new and challenging readings of nineteenth- and twentieth-century works by Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, Khlebnikov, Babel, Tsvetaeva, Sholokhov, and a host of lesser-known writers, all of whom were attracted to the Cossack. By comparing the Cossack with the American cowboy, she reveals what is both unique and universal about the Russian self-image.

No different than Russian writers, I write too much. ;) Appreciated your comments about your heritage...fun to know. Thanks!
PT7
North Country Gal wrote:That's very impressive on the Russian culture and language, PT. I'm of slavic descent, too, on my father's side. I'm half Slovak, but our family name actually translated to Cossack, so our roots could be any nationality from that part of the world, given that Cossacks were multi-national horse people clans. We've traced our family back to the early 1800s to a Cossack that was hired by the Polish to teach their people cavalry tactics. The other half of my heritage is all Viking, so I come from a long line of raiders and pillagers. :)

Back to guns. I think these top break revolvers are a wonderful development. They were far more popular in the Old West than our TV and movie westerns depicted. I do remember the Schofield Kid in Unforgiven, though. Might have to pull that one out of the collection and watch it, tonight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:47 pm

that's way beyond very nice .... what opens the top lock :?:
0 x