Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger MK III Hunter

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Ruger MK III Hunter

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:54 am

I recently bought a Ruger MK III Hunter model 22 handgun. I bought it to shoot with my wife who has the MK II slab side stainless model. Her Ruger is a very good shooter and has a sweet 1 1/2 lb. trigger. I would like mine to be better and get rid of the creep. It shoots almost as well as hers and would maybe be a little better than it is now with some trigger work. Plan on changing out a few parts to make it more like the MK II. Need to get rid of having to have the magazine to fire and the cartridge in chamber indicator. Some claim that getting rid of the magazine feature helps with the trigger weight. I will shoot it as is for now and see if it gets better with use. I do like the grips that the Hunter model has with the full size grips and the finger grooves. The fluted stainless barrel is nice looking to. I bought it at my LGS where it was traded after the gentleman that bought it was going to shoot pistol matches then decided he would rather shoot rifle matches. Had a holograph sight with it and a set of Hogue rubber left hand thumb rest grips and the fiber optic sights were in the box with the spare mag. I sold the holograph sight that was NIB as I really don't care for them as well as a standard red dot. I got a decent deal at $329+tax. My wife and I put two boxes of Federal auto match through the Rugers twice since I got it. Had a lot of fun shooting and spending time with my wife. :) She loves to shoot. :D
5 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Ruger MK III Hunter

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:06 pm

Good to hear your wife loves to shoot. My guy loves to shoot, too. Really is a great way to spend time with each other.

I have done well over a dozen trigger jobs on Ruger Marks, over the years, and that includes plenty of the MK IIIs. Changing out to a Volquartsen sear and trigger and switching over to a Mark II hammer bushing is all you need to get a very nice trigger. Just holler if you need help, but lots of videos online to show how it's done.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:28 pm

Bandit,

I was a little surprised that you didn't opt for the latest Mark IV model. The biggest change from the earlier models is the one-button, easy take down system on the Mark IV. I've shot my son's-in-law Mark III, which is a great shooter. But when it comes time to clean the pistol, the take downs are nowhere comparable. The Mark IV takes less that 10 - 15 seconds either to take down or re-assemble. Just noticed that about your acquisition.

Yes, they are a great-shooting, accurate .22LR gun. I also agree that those fluted barrels look sharp on this pistol.

Still, the best part is that your shooting partner is your wife!! :D Way to go, and you guys continue to enjoy your outings and spending that good time together.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:22 pm

I have a Hunter Mark III and I have a 22/45 in a Mark IV. But Bandit saved over 200.00 buying the Mark III. I agree PT the Mark IV is a snap to take apart. But if I could save 200 on the 3 I might have gone the same way. Once a guy gets use to that other system its not to bad. Besides I look at it as a jigsaw puzzle maybe or an exercise in patience management perhaps. Wish I was out shooting mine right now with bandit. But Im tired just got back from a 50 mile bike ride need to rest
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:14 pm

That's a good, ride, BigAl. Hope to be back to biking, soon, myself.

I spent most of my shooting life with Ruger Marks, beginning in the early 70s. Learned how to the disassembly on that very first one and went on tp have a couple dozen Marks, over the years, up to and including the MK IIIs. The take down was never an issue for me. Just something you did with a Ruger Mark. No big deal. Most of all, they were all Ruger Marks, basically the same action, plus or minus some features. The new MK IVs, though, are not the same gun. The action is different and see no point in paying extra to solve a problem that I didn't think was a problem. Just me, though.

These days, it's mostly revolvers, anyway. My 10 shot S&W 617 doesn't take much longer to reload than filling the mag on a Ruger Mark. We have two 617s, now, since Bill won't share his. :)
3 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:26 pm

Makes good sense on the $$ savings, BigAL. The cost difference with Bandit's pre-owned Mark III, my Mark IV was literally only $10. That's why I brought it up. So I looked at the two guns specs & costs more closely on the Ruger site.

Bandit got the Hunter with the grooved target grips in stainless steel. I looked over the current 8 models offered by Ruger, and his model looks like it is currently the top-of-the-line Mark IV pistol -- definitely is based on it having the highest MSRP. Mine on the other hand is the shorter barrel length Standard model. There is a considerable difference in MSRPs, mine being much lower. In fact, mine is the second least expensive of all the models. :oops:

Duh, should have looked more at the details of the guns, how equipped and the MSRP. And one other thing I goofed on. Over the years reading Bandit's post, and seeing the various guns and equipment he has secured, I should have known better. He often comes up with excellent deals!! Whatever was I thinking! :lol:
PT7
BigAl52 wrote:I have a Hunter Mark III and I have a 22/45 in a Mark IV. But Bandit saved over 200.00 buying the Mark III. I agree PT the Mark IV is a snap to take apart. But if I could save 200 on the 3 I might have gone the same way. Once a guy gets use to that other system its not to bad. Besides I look at it as a jigsaw puzzle maybe or an exercise in patience management perhaps. Wish I was out shooting mine right now with bandit. But Im tired just got back from a 50 mile bike ride need to rest
2 x

~Пока~

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:32 pm

I not only saved quite a few dollars with buying the MK III it was a new unfired pistol that had to be sold as used because it had been sold and then traded in unfired by the owner. Then I also got back $60 of my money by selling the holograph sight I didn't like. So $269+ almost $20 in tax on the selling price of $329 I feel I really came out good. I could have sold the lefty Hogue grips to a friend for $25 but gave them to my left handed brother for a gift after seeing that they fit his MK II slab side fine. The Hunter also had the factory Ruger scope base in the box. I also don't like the look of the hinge for the barrel on the MK IV and have heard they have the worst trigger pull of the series. Maybe they are fine and I could still own down the road but right now not likely. I think the MK II was the very best of the entire MK series. I quess I am really a MK II guy when it comes to the Ruger MK series. I am watching for another MK II like my wife shoots and I will get it when I find a perfect one. Mark II's are a bargain right now with folks trading them for MK IV's to get rid of a problem that isn't a problem at all if you make sure the strut is in the main spring where it belongs before pushing the main spring latch at the rear of the grip frame closed. Folks are letting MK II's and III's go cheap to get a MK IV. If you get a steal of a price on a MK II or III grab it and learn the break down procedure on you-tube or just contact our forum lady (NCG) who definitely knows guns. ;) :)
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:43 pm

I'm with you on the MK II series. I think the II had the nicest balance of features - every thing you needed and nothing that you didn't. Down the road I think it will be the most sought after Mark in the series. In fact, prices on the II series started to climb as soon as the IIIs came out and replaced it. Another thing I liked about the II is that for most of its production run Bill Ruger was still running the show at Ruger. The one feature I did like on the IIIs was the mag release. The magazine safety and LCI, I could do without.

The two most sought after IIs were the Slabside and the Government. If you have either one, better hang on to it.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:07 pm

Curious as I don't know, NCG or Bandit. What are "the nicest balance of features - every thing you needed and nothing that you didn't" for the Mark II? Sounds a little like the current high "value" placed on the Colt snake guns....some prices have reached very high thousands of dollars. Is it for collecting purposes? Or do searchers and purchasers of such guns want them to shoot because, for instance, your term of "nicest balance of features?" Why should someone "grab" one of the older models now?

Really interested in learning a more about the Ruger Mark series, especially now that I own one. Sounds like the Mark IV I have with the simpler take down is not that big of a deal compared to what the earlier versions carry.....

Final Q. What is "LCI?"

Thanks
PT7
bandit1250 wrote: Folks are letting MK II's and III's go cheap to get a MK IV. If you get a steal of a price on a MK II or III grab it..... ;) :)
North Country Gal wrote:I'm with you on the MK II series. I think the II had the nicest balance of features - every thing you needed and nothing that you didn't. Down the road I think it will be the most sought after Mark in the series. In fact, prices on the II series started to climb as soon as the IIIs came out and replaced it. Another thing I liked about the II is that for most of its production run Bill Ruger was still running the show at Ruger. The one feature I did like on the IIIs was the mag release. The magazine safety and LCI, I could do without.

The two most sought after IIs were the Slabside and the Government. If you have either one, better hang on to it.
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:25 pm

pt7 wrote:Final Q. What is "LCI?"
loaded chamber indicator
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234