Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger MK III Hunter

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Ruger MK III Hunter

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:18 pm

The original Ruger Standard/Mark did not have a bolt that stayed open after the last shot. You could manually lock the bolt back using the safety if you wanted to clear a jam, but the bolt did not stay open after the last shot. Meanwhile, the competition did offer guns with this feature, so, in the early 70s, Ruger began some design changes to the original Mark in preparation for adding a bolt hold open feature. This feature was introduced in 1982 with the Mark II, which is otherwise a Mark I with the new feature. It basically made the Mark II a more competitive gun with the competition and the bolt remaining open after the last shot is a very useful feature on any semi-auto.

The Mark III added a 1911 style mag release, which many Ruger Mark fans liked, but also added a magazine safety and loaded chamber indicator which many fans did not like. Many saw these features as unnecessary lawyer-proofing, but Ruger actually added the features for the sake of being able to sell the MK III in states that required those features. The LCI and mag safety can be removed from a Mark III and many Mark III owners have done just that.

Colt Pythons are valued for their extensive hand-fitting of parts, exquisite polishing and finishing and workmanship, something no longer done with revolvers and, because, well, they are Colts. Any vintage Colt brings big bucks. Colt collectors are about as rabid about vintage Colts as Winchester collectors are about vintage Winchesters.

That was never Ruger's market. Rugers were never made with that degree of hand fitting and polish. Ruger's marketing was all about strong, serviceable guns at an affordable price. They never tried to compete with Colts. Some of the older Rugers bring a good price and are avidly collected, but vintage Colts are in an entirely different league of collectibility.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:04 am

Thanks, NCG. However, I'm still missing the end of the story (I think).

It seems to me that the dots are not fully connected yet in the Mark series to the newest Mark IV. Is the simpler break down system the only change from the Mark III? Or are there other changes that have been done --- either taken away or added to the latest model? For example, I don't know what the difference(s) is that you mention in your earlier post:
The new MK IVs, though, are not the same gun. The action is different and see no point in paying extra to solve a problem that I didn't think was a problem.
Is the different action connected to the break down system? Or are there other "not the same gun" changes? Yeah, my curiosity is up now that I have a Mark IV. I'm wondering what I really have, if that makes any sense. Do I have a good pistol, or is it possibly a not-so-good pistol -- yet to be determined :?:

Too many questions, I guess. You can let me know whenever I need to quit asking -- seriously! :lol:

Appreciate the education I'm getting on this pistol. So far, it has really been a very enjoyable pistol to shoot, and I like the close resemblance in looks to a war-model German Luger. Plus for me it seems to be extremely simple to operate for a semi-auto. Remember, I'm a wheelgun person, and this is only the second semi-auto I've ever had. The SA 9mm Service pistol I had was a good gun, but this Mark IV has bested that one for my current shooting fun.

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:50 am

Yes, there were changes in the action that were necessitated by the easy take-down feature. I've never shot a Mark IV and doubt I ever will, since I see no need for that feature and don't want to pay to get it, so I'll leave it to others to make a comparison as to how well the new MK IV carries on the Mark tradition, not just in terms of accuracy, but also in terms of durability. (The Ruger Mark holds records for shots fired without needing any maintenance.) Hopefully some Mark IV owners will do some range reports for us.

It's no secret that the Ruger semi auto's resemblance to a Luger helped it become the most popular semi-auto 22 pistol, ever, but in terms of the action, the Ruger has more in common with the old Japanese Nambu 14, which gave Bill Ruger the idea for his pistol.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:45 pm

Thanks, NCG. Yes, it would be interesting if there were some range reports from Mark IV owners, especially anyone who has shot a Mark II or III to any extent. The comparison would be good to hear. I have only shot the IV out of the Mark series, and not that many rounds yet (just over 500 to-date).

As far as my firearms education, it keeps on growing thanks to your narratives.

~~~Cool to learn the Mark pistol "holds records for shots fired w/out needing maintenance." I'll take that! As far as accuracy, I've already seen that to be true with mine from the first NOOB shot.

~~~Just for fun, I looked at the web site I researched for photos of the German Luger, Arundel Militaria @ http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/ Found the Japanese Nambu 14 listed there. It sure does resemble the Mark IV in many ways. It was also interesting that you pointed to this Japanese pistol as the one that turned the lightbulb on for Bill Ruger. They had a sharp-looking photo of one of these deactivated pistols, and here it is:
NAMBU_2.jpg

Always appreciate your narratives, NCG, and your willingness to share with everyone. I'd bet you could put a book together including all the stuff you've posted on our Henry Forum, plus the many more you still have at ready. I'd buy a copy for my library! :)

Thanks again, and have a great day.
PT7
North Country Gal wrote:Yes, there were changes in the action that were necessitated by the easy take-down feature. I've never shot a Mark IV and doubt I ever will, since I see no need for that feature and don't want to pay to get it, so I'll leave it to others to make a comparison as to how well the new MK IV carries on the Mark tradition, not just in terms of accuracy, but also in terms of durability. (The Ruger Mark holds records for shots fired without needing any maintenance.) Hopefully some Mark IV owners will do some range reports for us.

It's no secret that the Ruger semi auto's resemblance to a Luger helped it become the most popular semi-auto 22 pistol, ever, but in terms of the action, the Ruger has more in common with the old Japanese Nambu 14, which gave Bill Ruger the idea for his pistol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:49 pm

Thanks, PT. Always glad to talk anyone's ear off on this stuff. Hard to shut me up, sometimes. :)
0 x

albin25
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by albin25 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:26 pm

0 x
Welcome to my home..........FYI... that locked door you kicked down was for your protection....not mine.