Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

An American after a Uberti .45LC Russian

PT7
Drover
United States of America

An American after a Uberti .45LC Russian

Post by PT7 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Being my preference in handguns are revolvers, I too often surf to see what is out there in this part of the firearms world. While I was researching stuff on the recent purchase of my 1873 Cattleman Birdshead, at the same time I've been researching another Uberti replica revolver. Just want to put this up on the HRF for any opinions and thoughts about this revolver. I'll add my comments, along with the one consideration I have that might be a deal breaker. Here is the Taylor's & Co. gun photo and their web site marketing description:
Российский Револьвер.jpg
Russian
The Russian was a favorite side arm of the Russian government and is the largest of the top-break revolvers. Modeled after the Smith & Wesson Schofield, this revolver features a hump-backed frame, two-piece walnut grips, lanyard ring, and trigger guard with a spur. The Russian barrel latch opens up and forward with a rear sight notch incorporated into it.

Item Number: RUSSIAN
Barrel Length & Caliber: 6.5" .45LC (Item Number 0867)

Some info I've found so far. This is not a short video, because it includes a lot of history about this WWI revolver and the functions of 1870's technology. I quite appreciated the shooting demo that was given.

YouTube video review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdwPvD8JZ84
by C&Rsenal
January 1, 2018

I'm certain this is too long for most people to wade through. I really enjoyed all of it, because I'm also into reading Russian history, war history, the guns of warfare, etc. Plus the direct connection between the WWI Russian government and the American S&W Manufacturer was new to me. One trivia fact that really astonished me was that this top-break revolver had such a huge order request from the Russian government. They wanted to get 130,000 or these revolvers to their soldiers, and S&W did fulfill that order! :o

OK, I'll shorten the video a little with these minute-locations descriptions, if anyone would like to look at it:

~~~23 to 25 = shooting demo (check out the target POIs at 10 yards).
~~~35 to 46 = the shooter's review of the revolver -- handling and ergonomics.
~~~41 to 46 = embedded within the review, the shooter's specific comments about the rear sight system.

Really like the trigger spur and the top-break action. So did the C&Rsenal reviewers. They rated this revolver very highly.
The rear sight is my only hesitation about the Russian. Just have to decide if it's a deal breaker or not.

Another review by Hickok45 was of the S&W Schofield Revolver. He also rated this .45LC top-break design very, very highly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIBH2GLIyRU

I'm about sold on getting this revolver. It's been a little bit of a challenge to find much specific info on the older model gun, and I wouldn't care to own an actual classic revolver carrying that age with it, because I want to shoot it. The Uberti replica seems to be a good choice.

So any pointers, comments or whatever from wheelgun folk, or anyone here, is welcome. Appreciate it.
PT7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

~Пока~

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Re: An American after a Uberti .45LC Russian

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:53 pm

I think it's whatever "floats your boat" as the saying goes. The .45LC isn't going anywhere unlike some ammo that is unavailable now (feeling for those Marlin 62 owners). I'm sure it's a fine firearm.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:02 pm

Would love to shoot any of those reproduction top breaks. The originals were widely used the Old West.

I saw a reproduction of the Schofield a couple weeks, ago. A local shop got one in from a collector. It was a limited run gun actually made by the S&W Performance Center. Gorgeous piece. I would have been very interested except that it was chambered for the original 45 S&W (Schofield) instead of 45 Colt and, of course, it was very expensive. Just have no interest in guns chambered for hard to find ammo, anymore. A 45 Colt, though, would have gotten serious consideration.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:22 pm

If the Schofield model was good enough for legendary Marshal Bill Tilghman, it would be good enough for me.....very nice revolver. I see another 45 Colt shooter in your future.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQS5Qyqw-js
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:59 pm

Interesting video on Tilghman. Sure was an astonishing fact that he harvested 12,000 buffalo in 5 years (at least in my book). That averages to 200/month! Lots of time riding the countryside and shooting. Thanks for the history lesson.

You might be on target about my gun cabinet in future days, RR. I'm at the elder age now when I'm required to start taking out a yearly RMD for taxes, tallied on my retirement account. This is the first year it happens. So I decided to have the RMD $$ sent to me. It happens to be enough to purchase the Russian, a small order of .45LC ammo, and the remainder of the $$ put back into investing or savings.

Anyway, this may be the "nudge" to acquire another revolver. ;) Shall see what else I hear about this revolver from the Forum Folk, or find more reviews on the web about it, then make a final decision. If I do get the Russian, you might have to wear a turban and cape like Carnac the Magnificent wore....may not look that great, however, with chaps, cowboy boots, & spurs! :lol:
RanchRoper wrote:If the Schofield model was good enough for legendary Marshal Bill Tilghman, it would be good enough for me.....very nice revolver. I see another 45 Colt shooter in your future.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQS5Qyqw-js
0 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:42 pm

I think PT wants to be in the movies with Tom Sellack. He had one of those I think in Crossfire Trail.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:50 am

I honestly think that if S&W had chambered the No 3 top break in 45 Colt, from the very start, instead of the 45 S&W, the history of the Old West would have been written with S&W as much as Colt.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:00 pm

Almost hard to believe.

My last post on this revolver was at 9pm yesterday, Friday the 13th. There were 10 guns of this model available at BGS in KY, with a very good price tag. When I went today to check if their low price had changed (they use auto, round-the-clock repricing based on market demand), this top-break revolver was sold out!!

Nuts.

I've found one available at another internet shop, but the price is +$250 higher for a starting bid....ouch. At BGS it's a direct-buy system, no bidding, and no charge to ship.

Sorta on hold as I'm searching for a better deal.....feels like this Russian had gone "underground." :lol:
1 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:52 pm

A brief Russian language commentary. Troika (from the Russian): тройка, means "a set of three", or triumvirate.
Most people recognize "troika" when used to describe a Russian carriage pulled by three side-by-side horses. Several of these carriages were used in the 1965 movie Doctor Zhivago. It is a beautiful sight to see three horses slide a troika through the snow.

Had a busy afternoon in cyberspace. I found my "set of three" after searching out a number of internet LGS:
1~~~Found the wandering Russian!
2~~~Ordered the revolver this evening (yup, the Taylor's & Co. top-break is a higher-priced revolver, but I'm good with this deal).
3~~~Very much looking forward to getting it!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, Henry Folk.
PT7

~All of the above hooey because I bought a revolver with model name "Russian." ;)
1 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:54 am

Happy ending to part 1. Looking forward to the sequel where you tell how it shoots!
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234