Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New revolver

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: New revolver

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:31 am

Any ideas on what the "V" stamp on the cylinder signifies?
Don't know but just checked on my Mod 66, and after wiping the powder residue off it could see the 'V' - I'll post this on the S & W forum & see what it is.
Good call on the choice plan but IF you do wind up with the 67-0 - plan on an eventual upgrade to a blued rear sight.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:51 am

Would this work on a "No Dash," even though it says "67-3"? Don't want to be looking at an upgrade I can't find parts for, so that's part of the consideration set...

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1632780
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:53 am

Would this work on a "No Dash," even though it says "67-3"
Yes - it's a 'squared off' front - and these are in good supply - and can be bought new but this one is in very nice shape and a great price.
FWIW I paid $50 for mine about the same condition.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:43 pm

Mistered wrote:... see the 'V' - I'll post this on the S & W forum & see what it is.
I hope you get a definitive answer. The existing posts there are speculatin...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:08 pm

Mistered wrote:
Since I am not a collector, if there is not something special about it, I would probably consider a new one.
The 'special' part is it is a dash 1, pinned and recessed with no Hillary Hole (lock)
Is the lock a bad thing?
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Is the lock a bad thing?
Not inherently, but in the 'world' of the classic Smith & Wesson it separates the original, classic guns from the new. The proverbial 'line in the sand' so to speak between the original and the not. Locked S & Ws are a tough sell. It just ain't right man!
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:50 pm

Oh. Thanks! As I stated, I am not a collector. If it goes bang, I am good. Now automobiles, I like to keep them as original as possible. So, I understand.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:55 pm

Now automobiles, I like to keep them as original as possible.
Ah, now we can RELATE ! - So this is like saying 'Is there anything wrong with a 1979 Corvette' (I hope you understand this one!!)
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:00 pm

Mistered wrote:
Now automobiles, I like to keep them as original as possible.
Ah, now we can RELATE ! - So this is like saying 'Is there anything wrong with a 1979 Corvette' (I hope you understand this one!!)
Yep!! Crystal clear.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:46 pm

S&W adjustable sights are primarily a matter of getting two things correct.

First is the length. The newer vintage sights are about 2.6" in overall length and have the rounded front tang. While they will work on older vintage Smiths, they look awful, because they don't completely fill the rear sight cut out on the old guns. The vintage adjustable rears were 2.75" in overall length and, as mentioned, were square in front. If you want one of these, you need to go shopping for used sights, since no longer sold new.

Second is the rear blade height. This is trickier, because blade height is a function of not just the cartridge, but the barrel length. A model with various barrel lengths, then, might have used a couple of different rear blade heights.

As for the lock, I've owned a couple of dozen Smiths with the lock, including the big nasty 460 and have never had one fail. You can remove it if really bothers you. Do I like it? No. Just a useless feature for me and most users. As Mistered says, though, the absence of a lock is a convenient way to separate the new stuff from the vintage. The vintage Smiths are valued for a lot of reasons other than the absence of a lock, but the lock makes them easier to spot. :)
0 x