Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New revolver

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

New revolver

Post by The Wiz » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:39 pm

I been thinking about getting a wheeled range gun for awhile. It was a matter of caliber, reliability, looks, and price. After much thought, I bought a S&W Model 67, the original police gun of .38 caliber. I picked it up today , and after a quick cleaning, ran about 50 rounds. My groups were about 7 inches at 24 yards. The gun has adjustable rear sight for elevation and windage but I didn't play with it. I just wanted to shoot the thing and have some fun. I did have fun! It is a hefty gun with little felt recoil, with a heavy trigger pull in DA but SA was so sweet!
I'll sight the gun in the next session and I am sure I can tighten up those groups. Maybe some pictures too. I traded In my LCR on it and got a decent price on the gun. The LCR was nice but really no fun to shoot and my priorities have changed in regards to conceal and carry. Stay tuned for further reports on my new baby.
3 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: New revolver

Post by JEBar » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:42 pm

congrats indeed .... looking forward to the pictures an continued reports
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:03 am

You have one of the FINEST S & W revolvers EVER made. The mod 67 has been a 'sleeper' in the world of S & W and is beginning to be recognized as a 'player' - I have a mod 66 no dash which is one of the 'quintessential' collectible Smiths but I am currently keeping my eye out for a 67 as well. What is the 'dash' # of yours? Think about a Wolff spring kit for it and maybe polish the trigger parts. My 66 has a Wolff kit and the DA trigger pull is about 7 lbs and the SA is about 1.8 lbs. with no creep or take up.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:16 am

To "have fun" is the best way to spend time on the range, Wiz. You got it! ;)

And congrats on your new S&W wheel gun. Even today there are a lot of Smith revolver models being produced. They are keeping us revolver lovers quite content! I really like their "classic" line ....always dreaming when I look over their web site.

Looking forward especially to some photos along with your future thots/comments.
Enjoy!!
The Wiz wrote:I been thinking about getting a wheeled range gun for awhile. It was a matter of caliber, reliability, looks, and price. After much thought, I bought a S&W Model 67, the original police gun of .38 caliber. I picked it up today , and after a quick cleaning, ran about 50 rounds. My groups were about 7 inches at 24 yards. The gun has adjustable rear sight for elevation and windage but I didn't play with it. I just wanted to shoot the thing and have some fun. I did have fun! It is a hefty gun with little felt recoil, with a heavy trigger pull in DA but SA was so sweet!
I'll sight the gun in the next session and I am sure I can tighten up those groups. Maybe some pictures too. I traded In my LCR on it and got a decent price on the gun. The LCR was nice but really no fun to shoot and my priorities have changed in regards to conceal and carry. Stay tuned for further reports on my new baby.
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:17 am

That is such a classic revolver, Wiz. You made a great choice. For those of you not familiar with Smiths, the Model 67 is the stainless version of the very famous Model 15 in blue, the quintessential Combat masterpiece 38 Special revolver. The 15, itself, is the adjustable sight version of the fixed sight Model 10 S&W 38 Special revolver, which has been produced in greater numbers than any other revolver in history. In fact you can still buy a Model 10 in the Classic series.

All of these are K frame revolvers, which is really home base for the 38 Special. If you just want to enjoy shooting the 38 Special, you cannot do better than a K frame Smith. It's the perfect match for the 38 Special.

Note that the new vintages of J and K frame 38s are rated to shoot 38 Special +P. If you have an old vintage Smith prior to the development of the 38 +P, I'd recommend only using standard 38 loads.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:33 am

I have the 65 model. And yes, the SA is sweet. I very seldom shoot it as DA. I guess I should. Congratulations on your purchase, and thanks NCG for the history lesson.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:34 pm

I don't like to shoot DA either. Throws off my aim.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:47 pm

Note that the new vintages of J and K frame 38s are rated to shoot 38 Special +P. If you have an old vintage Smith prior to the development of the 38 +P, I'd recommend only using standard 38 loads.
'Technically' any .38 Special Smith with a MODEL NUMBER can be shot with + P (even S & W says this) HOWEVER I, like NCG recommend the same - standard .38 Special only!
Model 10 S&W 38 Special revolver, which has been produced in greater numbers than any other revolver in history
This is true - and here is one of the 'Historical' ones - my dad's 'Duffle Bag' Victory model from 1942.
SampW-1 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:55 pm

Nice. I like the older S&Ws.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:39 pm

Love those old Victory guns, too. What tales they could tell.
0 x