Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New revolver

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: New revolver

Post by Mistered » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:16 pm

Love those old Victory guns, too. What tales they could tell.
'Rule of thumb' is if ANY military gun is in this good of condition it most likely wont have many 'tales to tell' ! - most likely never went overseas!
Kind of like my 1899 Mod 94 I bought a couple years ago - I don't think it made it much past the woods outside of the Bay Area back in the day!
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:03 pm

Mistered wrote:You have one of the FINEST S & W revolvers EVER made. The mod 67 has been a 'sleeper' in the world of S & W and is beginning to be recognized as a 'player' - I have a mod 66 no dash which is one of the 'quintessential' collectible Smiths but I am currently keeping my eye out for a 67 as well. What is the 'dash' # of yours? Think about a Wolff spring kit for it and maybe polish the trigger parts. My 66 has a Wolff kit and the DA trigger pull is about 7 lbs and the SA is about 1.8 lbs. with no creep or take up.
My Model says it is a 67-5. I have no clue what that mean. I am going to do what you suggested as the dealer also suggested to get the trigger parts polished. Just need to find a gunsmith now. I am surprised at of all the comments on it. I did not know it had such passionate followers. I chose well.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:19 pm

My Model says it is a 67-5. I have no clue what that mean.
Typically Every 'dash' number means some sort of design change - usually something subtle in the parts or action but nothing that is really noticeable. For example I have a Mod 66 'no dash' which means initial design of first year of production. A mod 66-1 was the same gun only with a blued rear sight to replace the original stainless steel rear sight on the no-dash due to complaints of the SS being hard to acquire a sight picture due to glare (and this is true! I recently found a nice used blued rear to replace mine)
I am going to do what you suggested as the dealer also suggested to get the trigger parts polished. Just need to find a gunsmith now.
No gunsmith needed! If you are relatively mechanically inclined (and patient) replace the springs and polish the parts yourself - maybe watch a video or study up on it - lots of good info online.

My Mod 66 & Mod 60 'No Dashes'
IMG_0270_3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:04 pm

That's a fine-looking pair, Mistered. Love the wood grip on the top .357 Magnum....shows beautifully!
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:10 pm

Love the wood grip on the top .357 Magnum....shows beautifully!
Yep - I love 'em also - but it shoots much better with Pachmayr Presentations on it and the 60 now has Diamond Pro !
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:58 pm

The -5 indicates your 67 is a fairly current production version of the 67. That's not a bad thing. Just means the way your current 67 has been made differently than a vintage 67. New Smiths are CNC machined to tighter tolerances than vintage Smiths, which, in turn, means less hand fitting of parts required, compared to vintage Smiths. That hand fitting of parts, however, is one of the reasons vintage Smiths are so loved by Smith purists. They really don't make them like they used to.

Having owned a lot of vintage Smiths and new production Smiths, both, I can tell you that it's been my experience that the new CNC machined Smiths are very accurate. You'll lose nothing to vintage Smiths in the accuracy department. I can also tell you that new production Smiths can be a little gritty in their DA pull, but they will smooth up, nicely, with use. As Mistered, says, though, you can speed up the process with a little polishing work, yourself.

Being a newer production gun also means that you might as well shoot the snot out of it. No need to worry about adding wear and tear as with a vintage gun. In fact, that's exactly why I have some of these new production Smiths. They get the hard use and my vintage Smiths only get light use. Your 67-5 is a shooter so get out and have fun with it,
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:14 pm

Spot-on about vintage revolvers, NCG. Pretty often hear the sigh and lament, "They really don't make them like they used to." Usually stated by the older folk (my elder age) standing behind the LGS gun counter. ;)
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:44 pm

AND - just for the record the dash numbers only changed with particular models and some retained relatively low dash numbers even to somewhat 'modern' times, while some Smiths have double digit dash numbers. One particular example is the Mod 60-4 which is the last 'dash' number Smith that was a true 'J' frame .38 Special and had a 3" full underlug barrel with adjustable sights and I think ended production in 1991 with a fairly low number being made. I am currently looking for one as it is one of the most sought after 'Modern' Smiths' of all - and I have passed on two over the last couple years but mostly because of condition issues.
0 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:54 am

S&W's are very easy to work on. I have been doing trigger work on them for years. Buy yourself a good set of stones, learn how to do it and take your time.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:19 am

Nice revolver, congrats!
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50