Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New revolver

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: New revolver

Post by GFK » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:57 pm

Thanks. Yes, I liken the lock to the pre-safety Marlins (or any firearm as such). It is a sign of a time. Since I am not a collector, I just focus on the function and condition. And, I try not to buy things that I may not have an opportunity to use. But, I might have room for another rifle and a shotgun one day in the future. ;)
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:08 pm

It is a sign of a time.
And it's also a sign of the manufacturers' brown nosin' the 'sign of the time'
Ya notice any lock, crossbolt or tang safety on a Henry? - One of the things I respect about them most.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Is this place great, or what?

I hope to have a new old toy to share with you within a week or so.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Well, I guess most things have their pluses and minuses. I know of people who do not like wearing seatbelts. Yet, seatbelts have saved lives. But, we all get to choose good from bad which affects the life that we live. I am all for freedom of choice as long as it does not infringe on mines. To echo a saying of my father: "One man's rights end where another man's begin." So, to each their own. I just try to take the good with the bad and make the most of what I got.

The discussion we are having today, probably wasn't conceived 242 years ago and who knows what it will be like 200 years from now. Therefore, I just do what I can while I can and let that be it. Let's just enjoy our S&W while we can (with or without locks).
Last edited by GFK on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:25 pm

I know of people who do not like wearing seatbelts. Yet, seatbelts have saved lives.
With regard to the Smith & Wesson the 'seatbelt' wasn't intended for the 'driver' but for the person who doesn't own the 'car' or shouldn't be in the 'driver's seat' to begin with...
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:42 pm

Mistered wrote:
I know of people who do not like wearing seatbelts. Yet, seatbelts have saved lives.
With regard to the Smith & Wesson the 'seatbelt' wasn't intended for the 'driver' but for the person who doesn't own the 'car' or shouldn't be in the 'driver's seat' to begin with...
This is true. But, a life saved is a life saved. That is good, right?
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:57 pm

Do you have any bonafide, verified knowledge of a lock on a Smith & Wesson saving a life?
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:25 am

Mistered wrote:
Do you have any bonafide, verified knowledge of a lock on a Smith & Wesson saving a life?
I have not researched it. But, a lock is a lock. I am not crazy about them. Yet, it is what it is. I have read and seen reports of children taking guns to school (or while at home) and shooting other children. Is it the adult's fault? Yes. Does that stop the child from being killed? No. Could a lock help? Maybe. Is a lock the answer? I do not know. It would be nice if some adults were more responsible. It would also be nice if some adults would work, take care of their family, spend money responsibility, and alike. But, people seem to have a tendency to do what is pleasing to themselves (good, bad or ugly) which may lead to a negative outcome on others. Hence, the rise of lawlessness.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Mistered wrote:
GFK wrote:This is true. But, a life saved is a life saved. That is good, right?
Do we need verified? Back to the seat belt analogy. Lots of vehicle accidents make the news. Few of them them mention if seat belts were worn unless people are killed or ejected from the vehicle.

Similarly if a kid gets hold of a locked firearm and nothing happens, would we ever hear about a non-happening? We do hear about kids that get hold of an unsecured firearm and kill themselves, their little sister or someone else.

Although I don't like the lock aesthetically, S&W's design minimizes the aesthetic impact. Even so my preference is for add-on trigger locks.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:24 pm

1 x