Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Colt Python -- a "primer"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Colt Python -- a "primer"

Post by PT7 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:46 am

For anyone interested in classic wheelguns. This new article was just published in AR, July 2018 edition.
It's a 50-year history of Colt's Python revolver. There are also some very nice photos of the different revolver models.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... on-primer/
1 x

~Пока~

Preacher
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Colt Python -- a "primer"

Post by Preacher » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:13 pm

Thanks for that article. I have always loved and admired the Python and it was cool to read about it's history.
1 x
A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:57 pm

interesting history about a revolver I wouldn't want if I had to keep it .. ;) .. as a Ruger/Smith fan, I engaged in many hours of Chevy vs Ford type discussions with friends who like Pythons .... I mean really, the rifling and cylinders both spin in the wrong direction .. :roll:
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:19 pm

JEBar wrote: .... I mean really, the rifling and cylinders both spin in the wrong direction .. :roll:
I think the rifling in the opposite direction was to counter the spinning earth's Coriolis force, making the gun more accurate. :shock:
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:39 pm

Mags wrote:I think the rifling in the opposite direction was to counter the spinning earth's Coriolis force, making the gun more accurate. :shock:
cylinders and rifling turn clockwise in Smiths and Rugers .... the bullet's clockwise rotation promotes deeper penetration as it screws into the target .... the counterclockwise unscrewing rotation of a bullet out of a python fights penetration .. ;)
0 x

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:06 pm

JEBar wrote:
Mags wrote:I think the rifling in the opposite direction was to counter the spinning earth's Coriolis force, making the gun more accurate. :shock:
cylinders and rifling turn clockwise in Smiths and Rugers .... the bullet's clockwise rotation promotes deeper penetration as it screws into the target .... the counterclockwise unscrewing rotation of a bullet out of a python fights penetration .. ;)
You just need left handed bullets. :shock:
1 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:08 pm

cylinders and rifling turn clockwise in Smiths
Rifling yes, cylinder no - can't speak for Ruger ain't got one - but I have my Mod 66 Smith in hand!
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:00 pm

Jdl447 wrote:
JEBar wrote:
You just need left handed bullets. :shock:
I got left handed bullets I could sell you.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:12 pm

Read that in my copy of the magazine. I would hope that anyone who wants to preserve their gun rights would have their own copy that goes with membership.
0 x

Todddanger
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Todddanger » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:31 am

I used my Dad's 6 inch Python to quallify when I was in the police academy. Smoothest handgun I ever shot.

When I got my first job, I couldn't afford the 450.00 for a new 4 inch stainless Python. If I only knew what they would cost now....
0 x