Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Colt Python -- a "primer"

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Colt Python -- a "primer"

Post by Mistered » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:11 am

If I only knew what they would cost now....
Yea I passed on one when it was 'Only' $750.00 - and that wasn't necessarily that 'long' ago.
I would however change the word 'cost' to 'asking' - I see a lot of snakes in the LGSs and gun shows and most are gathering dust under the glass or returning to the next show - unsold.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:42 am

I was curious about what people were 'asking'. Several .357 listings on GunBroker. Lowest was 1000. Quite a few between 2500 and 8000. Less than a handful from there up to 20,000. Most of them zero bids. Suggests to me that folks want too much for them and/or there isn't that much interest. Very beautiful fire arm. Wouldn't mind having one for about 500. Don't see that happening.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:22 pm

You will never see one for $500 - heck you won’t find a ‘key’ S & W for that amount but I believe the ridiculous four figure prices are softening up some - I have seen some in the $1500 - to $1800 range but they still don’t seem to sell. There is no doubt the pythons are excellent guns but they have certain design features that potentially limit them as regular shooters due to the lack of replacement parts and ‘Smith’s to repair them.
By contrast many ‘vintage’ Smith & Wesson’s are regularly carried and shot without much concern as the parts availability for Smiths is dramatically better than Colt and the ‘factory’ still has a fair supply of certain parts going back to 70s era guns. Also there is no denying the S & W internals are vastly superior to Colt and can be worked on by someone with basic mechanical gun knowledge whereas the Colt has some processes that require special tools and a nearly Colt ‘smith to perform.
Also some ‘key’ S & Ws (such as the Mod 27s) are highly deseriable but are still in the sub $1000 range. Recently I passed on a LNIB mod 27 5” for $ 920 - and missed it by being the proverbial ‘day late’. Unfortunately it was a few hours from me and while trying to work the trip into a possible job requirement taking me that direction it got sold!
0 x