Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Smith and Wesson 31-1

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Smith and Wesson 31-1

Post by GFK » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Interesting: I was in Wal-Mart last night looking to pick up a box of 30-30. While I was waiting, I checked out the price for 38s and 357s as well. Thinking about getting a Marlin 1894C (I know, Henry site). Since I do not reload, thinking 38s or 357s might be cheaper to shoot as well (38s seems so). I noticed a box of 50 9MM ($9.99) half the price of a box 38s. I figured there must be a lot of 9MMs running around. Yet, I am still sticking with my revolver. I like the KISS method (Keep It Super Simple). Revolvers seem to get the job done without a lot of fuss. If it is not broken, why fit it. But, that is just me.
Last edited by GFK on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:27 pm

Save your brass. To me there are only two kinds of shooters, those that load their own ammo and those that sooner or later will reload .
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:50 pm

These days, even 45 ACP bulk is cheaper than 357 or 38s. Big reason I recently went with the S&W 625 revolver that shoots 45 ACP with moon clips. You can even buy 9mm revolvers if you don't mind messing with moon clips. I actually like them. I just load up a bunch in the clips the night before and it makes for very easy unloading and loading when you are at the range.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:22 pm

Hmmm -- "...messing with moon clips." :roll: Back when I was looking for a snubby, I looked at the moonclips used with a 2.25" SP101 in 9MM. I always thought shooting 9MM caliber with a revolver would be cool. I liked shooting my BASS IV with the 9MM barrel; much more fun than a semi-auto for me!

So, what exactly is the "messing" that needs to be done?
Are they reliable, and don't catch on the frame when the cylinder rotates?
Are they reliable, and last? Or need to be replaced regularly?

I sure can see the easy unloading and loading with them....especially the loading. Acts just like a speedloader.
Anyway, questions are out of curiosity.
PT7
North Country Gal wrote:These days, even 45 ACP bulk is cheaper than 357 or 38s. Big reason I recently went with the S&W 625 revolver that shoots 45 ACP with moon clips. You can even buy 9mm revolvers if you don't mind messing with moon clips. I actually like them. I just load up a bunch in the clips the night before and it makes for very easy unloading and loading when you are at the range.
0 x

~Пока~

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:28 pm

I just pulled my favorite revolver out in preparation for my long-delayed 3-gun debut tomorrow. I love this thing -- so easy to handle and shoot with either .357s or .38s and it's phenomenally accurate. I've been shooting so much trap and rifle that I probably hadn't had it out in close to a year. Way, way too long of an absence from my hand.

Not an heirloom -- I'm the original owner. No one else will own it until I'm taking the dirt nap.
IMG_0714.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:45 pm

those that load their own ammo and those that sooner or later will reload
Not necessarily - I have know some (few) who will never reload as their only interest is unleashing the contents of a 500 round bulk can of ammo as fast as they can. Some only shoot as a 'novelty' - and have no interest in reloading or any improvement in accuracy or specific loads. Some start reloading and either don't have the patience or the aptitude for it and lose interest quickly. Those who have been reloading for a large part of their lives see it as an extension of their interest in shooting, hunting etc. and have stayed with it and improved their skills and processes and basically have made it a part of their 'lifestyle' and enjoy it as a 'departure' from some of their daily 'grind'.
2 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:15 am

Very true, after almost 50 years of making my own ammo and casting bullets, I find it an enjoyable pastime in itself.
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:49 am

A buddy of mine is an avid reloader. He's trying to get me interested. He's walked me through the process and shared his experimental results with different loads. He loves doing it. I on the other hand have a passive lack of interest and hence am unlikely to invest in the tooling to do it. I am saving my brass though and have suggested to my buddy that he reload for me. :D

Most of my shooting is for varmint control. This time of year I get to shoot a handful of rounds every week or so. At other times I target shoot to check/practice my poa/poi skills. For me, it's just quicker and more convenient to replenish from the LGS.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:28 am

While I agree with all the benefits of reloading - I did it for years - I do not recommend it for everyone. For one, it is NOT a hobby to pursue if you're not 100% willing to learn how to do it, safely. For another, if you can't find a block of uninterrupted time - something hard to do for many folks - beware. Again, for safety's sake, it's not something you should do back and forth while watching TV, talking on the phone and so on. Lastly, as with us and the reason we no longer do it, reloading is a time consuming hobby. We simply got to the point where we had too many activities. Reloading was actually cutting into our available range time.

PT, as to the moon clips, they're nothing new. They date back to just prior to WW I when our military found itself long on 45 ACP ammo and way short on 1911s to supply the troops. The military then asked S&W and Colt to help out and produce some of their large frame revolvers to shoot 45 ACP to take up the slack. The problem, of course, with shooting 45 ACP (or 9mm) is that there's no extended rim on the cartridge, so a DA star has nothing to grab when ejecting empties. That meant you'd have to poke the empties out with a rod or a stick, similar to a single action. S&W came to the rescue and invented moon clips - they were actually half-moon clips, each held three rounds - but it solved the problem. It gave the star something to grab. To aid the war effort, S&W shared the idea with Colt and other manufacturers. Many of these old 45 ACP military revolvers, known as the Model 1917, made by both S&W and Colt, were used in WW II and even up to the Vietnam era.

As to the moon clips, they are a disposable item. Once they get twisted or bent, time to get a new one, but, with care, they last a very long time and, when it is time to get more, replacements are cheap and easy to find. These days, they run about a buck apiece for the good ones. They're also used now even with 357/38 special revolvers used in IDPA and other action shooting. With a full moon clip, you can dump empties and reload almost as fast as as replacing a mag on an autoloader. Note that a revolver must be made, specifically, to handle moon clips. Not something you can use on any revolver.

There are special tools you can buy for loading and unloading moon clips, but I do fine without fancy tools for the loading and just use a long needle nose plier to unload a stubborn empty as need be. I usually load up a bunch, the night before and range trip. Love using them, then, at the range. Unloading and loading a DA with clips is quick and easy, just like loading and unloading an autoloader.
3 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:42 pm

I do not recommend it for everyone. For one, it is NOT a hobby to pursue if you're not 100% willing to learn how to do it, safely. For another, if you can't find a block of uninterrupted time - something hard to do for many folks - beware. Again, for safety's sake, it's not something you should do back and forth while watching TV, talking on the phone and so on.
Well said and 100% spot on all points. AND I would like to add DO NOT get into reloading ONLY as a cost cutting measure. Reloading should only be undertaken as a extension of your interest in firearms and to improve your shooting experiences.
reloading is a time consuming hobby.
Yes and no depending on your circumstances. Because I can shoot nearly anytime so reloading for me is sort of on a continuing basis, like an elongated production line I earmark time for each week - as opposed to cramming a half year's ammo needs into four or five 'sweatshop' days or nights.
One evening it's case sizing, the next priming etc. once I have a supply of prepped cases I can knock out a 100 or so for the next day(s) session. It's all about developing a system that works for you and your schedule.
2 x