Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

An "old dinosaur" talks the .357 Magnum

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: An "old dinosaur" talks the .357 Magnum

Post by Mistered » Tue May 29, 2018 10:42 pm

At this point, most of us will never be able to own a Colt Python with the prices being what they are.
Don't know how many are actually selling at the 'prices being what they are' as I have seen several sitting for a while in LGSs, and some same ones showing up at repeated gun shows - and still for sale. It seems the prices have stabilized at the $2500 - $2700 around here for nice Pythons but not much movement.
1 x

Todddanger
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Todddanger » Wed May 30, 2018 5:35 am

I'll try and get some pictures of it and post them.

The first Sergeant I had when I joined the police department carried a 4 inch Python. He started out with a blued one then went to a 4 inch staineless steel one.He was probably the best shot I ever saw.

When he retired, he went to the Sheriff's Office and carried it. The rest of the guys carried semi autos and some would make comments about his revolver, until they saw him shoot.
4 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:08 pm

I know the Python is an extremely nice wheel gun. I have always leaned toward revolver for their dependability. My first one that I still have, which is probably my favorite firearm period, (except maybe my new BBS 357), is my early 80's vintage S&W model 686 6". I love it's accuracy and very slick action. I've read that if it ever drops out of manufacturing that it might rival the Python in terms of value. Would I love to own a Python as well?....Heck YES!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:44 am

I have an old model Colt Trooper six inch .357 It has exactly the same internal action parts as a Python. I bought it in 1968 so after all those years and several thousand rounds i dare say that it as is smooth as a Python. I guess that it's my poor man's Python.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:42 am

[quote="Travlin"]For anyone that loads their own ammo a revolver is the best handgun. All of the brass can be ejected right into your hand and not all over the countryside.

I couldnt agree more with this statement. Its probably why my autos that I do own sit so much. I have single action 357's and one double action. I really like the caliber for alot of reasons. Easy on the wallet and a good plinking round. I have 3 leverguns in 357. One Henry a Uberti and a Remlin. But for me the 357 is still in second place at my house. I still like the 41 mag better and I always will. Its a personal thing for me and it requires one to reload to be able to shoot it much. It has a cult type following. I see there is more ammo available for it than there use to be. I own several 41 mag revolvers including a rare Smith 657 power port. The one I have is very accurate. I also own a Freedom Arms in 41 mag which is a very nice single action to shoot. Im truly lucky I even have that one. I feel the way about the 41 that the author felt about his 357. Im gonna keep them.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55