Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

An "old dinosaur" talks the .357 Magnum

PT7
Drover
United States of America

An "old dinosaur" talks the .357 Magnum

Post by PT7 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:42 pm

There have been a number of Forum threads in recent days/weeks about revolvers. I don't own many revolvers, so I supplement that "shortage" by finding web revolver articles or videos, and evaluations of my favorite .357 caliber. Here is one on the .357 Magnum. https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... ut-boring/ When the author commented in the first paragraph that "Shooting is fun, and the more shooting, the more fun," that's a spot-on focus for me -- FUN! :D

Opening his discussion of the .357 Magnum round, the author calls himself "...an old guy...a hopeless dinosaur." I like that because I kinda fit in that mold. He is also a wheel-gun fellow. I fit there, too. Finally, now that I've just purchased my Henry BBS Carbine in .357 Magnum, my favorite ammo just notched up and is even more appealing!
7 x

~Пока~

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: An "old dinosaur" talks the .357 Magnum

Post by Abnermal » Mon May 28, 2018 6:47 am

Good article! I also consider myself somewhat of a dinosaur. Have had a love of .357 magnums for some 40 years now. From mild to wild-the .357 can do the job!
3 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Mon May 28, 2018 7:53 am

Nice article. I don't have any revolvers, but I do have a couple of pump-action carbines chambered in .357 Magnum. Of the guns I have, they are by far my favorites.
4 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon May 28, 2018 8:14 am

its now clear that the long held belief that us dinosaurs are extinct ain't necessarily so .. ;) ... we own 5 handguns, 4 revolvers and 1 Luger passed down from my Grandfather .... the one that travels with us and that I fire at every opportunity is a Ruger Redhawk .... I don't see that changing any time soon
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon May 28, 2018 10:51 am

Good article and I can concur having owned .357s for about the same length of time. IMO the .357 is the Most Versatile round in its class (straight wall pistol) compared to the other common straight wall rounds there are few that can exceed its performance. While the .44 mag has more energy at the top end the .357 isn't far behind and given its generally lower cost either to buy and reload and for most practical uses the .357 is the leader.
The only thing the OP didn't cover in the article was the issue with the forcing cones in the K frame Smith & Wesson .357s but it really wasn't a 'technical' article as opposed to a more 'informational' but it is something owners of K frame Smiths should be aware of.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon May 28, 2018 11:36 am

Because I have the most experience with the 44 mag, it's been my favorite revolver cartridge most of my life. Back in the day, nearly all of my deer hunting was done with a 44 mag handgun, either a revolver or, occasionally, a Contender. All my 100 yard target work, was with the 44 mag, too. When I carried a revolver in the woods for defense against bears, it was also a 44 mag. Now and then, I'd shoot a 357, but tended to go right to the 44 mag when I needed more than a 22 revolver.

Things changed for me when I met Bill and got married and we later retired. My hunting days were long behind me and so were Bill's. I continued shooting 44 mags, but Bill wanted nothing to do with them. He could not see the point of enduring all that recoil just to punch holes in paper. Enter the 357 mag. It still satisfied my need for a bit of recoil, but was not so harsh to shoot that Bill wouldn't shoot it and, of course, he could shoot 38s.The 357 was pleasingly accurate. Talking to a lot of locals who carried revolvers in the woods as protection against black bears, they reported that 357 with heavy loads was plenty for black bears. Black bears are not grizzlies.

Finally, when I decided to get out of reloading for lack of time and shoot factory ammo,only, the 357 was a no-brainer. Talking factory ammo of equal quality, I can shoot 357s for roughly half of what I can shoot 44 mags.

I still love the 44 mag and always will. I still shoot it, now and then, but nowhere near as much as our 357s. Really no need to do so. The 357 does it all for us, now. In fact, looking back at those deer I shot with a 44 mag revolver, they were under 50 yards, anyway, and could have been taken just as effectively with the 357. Still a pretty amazing cartridge after all these years.
4 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon May 28, 2018 4:25 pm

For anyone that loads their own ammo a revolver is the best handgun. All of the brass can be ejected right into your hand and not all over the countryside. My first "real handgun" was a six inch Colt Trooper .357. This has the same insides as a Python and after 50 years of shooting I dare say it's as smooth. I still shoot the Colt but it is semi retired with a stainless Ruger G. P. 100 taking up the slack.
3 x

Todddanger
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Todddanger » Tue May 29, 2018 5:42 am

My Dad has a 6 inch colt Python, circa 1965. He carried it during his police career and cannot miss a beer can at 25 yards with it.

He always shot 158 grain hollow points in it and dropped a bunch of whitetails with it. It's the smoothest handgun I ever shot.
3 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:14 am

Yet another revolver, which I think would be much fun to shoot. And I've read similar kudos for how this "Snake Gun" operates, quite similar to your assessment --- "It's the smoothest handgun I ever shot." Cool 8-)

As I mentioned when I wrote the start of this thread, I'm always reading about revolvers because I don't have that many, and sure would like to handle and shoot some of the "classics." Another article I found on these "Snake Gun" models was written last year by a blogger.
http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2017/0 ... -colt.html

Since I'm by no means an expert on revolvers, and don't have extensive knowledge of the history behind this Colt series, that is why this article was interesting to me. I cannot validate the accuracy, but I see a lot of specs/stats made available. And of course, there are some personal preferences by the blogger, as well. Not least, it's much fun to see the revolver photos posted.

Cool that you've shot your Dad's Python, Todddanger, and to have held a neat part of revolver history, too! BTW, are you able to post any photos of that Python? We'd like to see it. Thanks!
PT7
Todddanger wrote:My Dad has a 6 inch colt Python, circa 1965. He carried it during his police career and cannot miss a beer can at 25 yards with it.

He always shot 158 grain hollow points in it and dropped a bunch of whitetails with it. It's the smoothest handgun I ever shot.
2 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue May 29, 2018 10:34 am

Would love to hear more about the Python. At this point, most of us will never be able to own a Colt Python with the prices being what they are.
1 x