Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Light J

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: The Light J

Post by Bugs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:16 pm

JEBar wrote:
RetiredSeabee wrote:How is the trigger? I have tried some Air weight models recently and the triggers were really heavy and gritty.
the single action trigger pull on wife's is pretty good .... no creep, clean break with a light pull .... to fire it double action takes a much stronger trigger pull .... I don't know if a gunsmith can lighten up the double action trigger pull, I wouldn't want the single action to be messed with
If it were mine I would reduce the double action trigger pull weight and bob the hammer. No need for a single action pull on a self defense J-Frame. That hammer will only snag on clothing when you need the gun in a hurry.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:25 pm

JEBar wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:29 pm
the single action trigger pull on wife's is pretty good .... no creep, clean break with a light pull .... to fire it double action takes a much stronger trigger pull .... I don't know if a gunsmith can lighten up the double action trigger pull, I wouldn't want the single action to be messed with
the comment above was posted back in April 2016 .... as noted in a different post in this thread, my wife really likes her J-frame .... she has grown very comfortable with its operation but arthritic pain in her hands now makes it difficult for her to handle the recoil as well at the effort needed to cock it or fire it double action .... in a conversation with the gunsmith in Texas who I trust to work on our firearms, he has kits in stock to help reduce the effort it takes to fire it single or double action .... with that being the case, I've told him to plan on working on it in January .... as to recoil reduction, I could send it off to be Mag-Na-Ported ===> http://magnaport.com/hgun.html .... from dealing with them, they do excellent work that produces positive results .... unfortunately, with shipping and the cost of having them port it, adds up to where it can easily approach or exceed the cost of the revolver .... loading our own ammo gives us an additional way of reducing recoil .... that being light loading the ammo she fires .... to my surprise, I haven't found a great deal of info on light loading 38 special ammo .... it seemed logical to drop from a 158 gr bullet to 110 gr .... I quickly learned 110 gr'ers aren't nearly as easy to find .... whenever possible I use Nosler bullet but they don't offer any 110's .... I checked Cabela's on line and found they stock Winchesters so we drove to their nearest store .... they only stock Hornady 110 gr XTP's and only had 2 boxes .... I bought one ... the lightest recommended loads I found use 2.7 gr of Bullseye or 3.0 gr of Unique .... I went with the Bullseye .... the average muzzle velocity of the ones I ran through our Chrony was 250 fps .... I fired 50 of them and at 5 to 10 yards, they do well .... frankly, I was surprised that they penetrated into an end cut of an oak log .... we will use this load until fall when we get back from South Dakota .... my hope it so gradually increase the powder charge until I reach the strongest load that she is comfortable firing .... by then also hope to have a thousand or so ACE 110 gr 357's to work with
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:45 am

A couple options...

Install the apex spring kit... Available from Brownells

And/or polish away problem areas as you do... * only to a level YOU are comfortable with... :D

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3066
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:51 am

Note...

Back when this was done, I ordered two of the Apex kits after Bugs posted a thread about them. The first was installed in my Airweight 642 by my "Rabbi", the retired Police Sergeant and former Marine sho has been the hand on my shoulder in competitive shooting for the last twenty plus years. I got a tutorial so I could install the second kit in the 340. Both guns showed a nice improvement in their trigger pulls.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:36 am

good to hear of positive results .... the gunsmith I mentioned, tells me that he has worked on several .... I installed a spring kit in our Redhawk and it works really well .... I'm reluctant to working on my wife's CC revolver .... as a self defense weapon it must work 100% of the time .... I don't have the confidence to take that on
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:30 am

I agree, if you aren't sure, don't. I don't try and address timing problems and the like. :?
I was only certified as the department armorer on the model 64s and then... The Glocks, never got carried away and "called" myself a smith. I felt it would have been an insult to the fine gunsmiths I was privileged to know personally. :)
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:41 pm

I just watched several YouTube videos on installing spring kits in J-frames .... its clear that there are a few different systems used in J-frames .... the time was well spent, they convinced me I need to take my wife's to a gunsmith
1 x