Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

S&W Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman

garryj
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: S&W Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman

Post by garryj » Sun May 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Bugs wrote:Congrats on a great revolver. The 28-2 will not disappoint. You will however need a 27-2 to go with it.
I'm still looking for a couple of the N-frame models, including models 25-5, 29, and possibly 57. I'm also looking for any Munson Dan Wesson .357 or .44 mag. Of course, looking for and affording are two different things.

Garry
0 x

Todddanger
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Todddanger » Mon May 21, 2018 5:28 am

When I started police work in the 1980's, a lot of guys carried 28 s. I never saw one that shot bad and you couldnt wear them out.

I had a 4 inch Model 57. No one wanted it because it was nickle plated and I think I paid 275.00 brand new. It was the one gun I wished I'd never sold.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:29 am

No prob, Garry. I can imagine that losing a credit card brings some drama along with it!

I honestly don't know if you or I or anyone else is "doing something wrong;" it might be the browsers or settings we have going on our different computers? Or it could be something with the Forum software we're using that needs to be adjusted?

It's been a definite challenge for me to try and adjust the way I take a photo to try to lessen the distortion effect. I've found that if I photograph my rifles or handguns by setting them on a line as close to horizontal as possible, the up/down oval effect is not as pronounced. However, it doesn't always work that well.

For an example. The recent thread I put up re. Armed Forces Day. The last photo I had posted was of the Henry Golden Boy "Military Service" Tribute Edition. I had made a .jpg copy from the Henry web site. Rather than an oval distortion, the rifle was extensively distorted/compacted from right to left! Here it is.......
H004MS-Military-Service-Tribute-.jpg
I thought it looked so bad that I deleted it, and just changed my comments about it. Gosh, this Henry rifle sure is crunched!! :o

I had also chatted with CT_Shooter about how frustrating this was to me, because the quality of our photos don't reflect the good pictures we take, and also don't "show off" our firearms. I consider him to be a computer techie, and he kindly posted the Henry rifle for me within that thread. His post looked great! But I really don't know what all that took.

I'd like to post more pictures, but they just don't look that good. I'm glad, for instance, that RR's Cow Country photos and NCGs revolver photos, along with other members' pics, are posting okay. Otherwise, we'd sure be missing out on some great pictures!

'Nuff said. Thanks for getting back with your comments on this.
Have a great day!
PT7
garryj wrote:
PT7 wrote:Garry...sorry to ask the question. Are your photos distorted/elongated as they appear to me on my computer? Whenever I post photos, they look fine in the Forum "preview" screen option. But after posting, all are distorted or elongated also. That includes any round targets in my Range Reports. They become more egg-shaped.

If you tell me yours are NOT elongated, then I know something is amiss with my computer. I really like revolvers, but these photos just don't display the true gun dimensions as I view them.

Here's part two of this, which makes it even more unusual. NCG's photo of her revolver looks fine on my screen. Odd. I really can't figure out what is happening, and I know you may not know either. Just had to ask someone this time.

Thanks for your time. Any thoughts would be helpful however.
PT7
I'm sorry it took me so long to answer, but my son lost my debit card last week and it's been a dramatic week. However, I have noticed that on all of my posts my pictures look distorted. Other posts look normal. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Mods, any suggestions?

Garry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon May 21, 2018 7:55 am

Interesting that that image looks fine in Preview mode. I resized your image to 640x35, uploaded it and attached it. In preview mode, both images, yours and my smaller version, were in their proper aspect ratio. When I submitted it, it was as distorted as yours and I deleted the post.

There MUST be a setting in the forum software that is attempting to resize them, but then distorts them. This is something that only Dave can find and fix. It will likely require editing a CSS file on the server, but I don't actually know that for sure.

Here is the smaller image:
Henry 640x35.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:20 am

Thanks for the look-see and comments, CT. I wondered also why the images looked okay in "Preview" mode, and not when posted. I've been surprised more than once after I posted pics!!

Hey, Garry,
I just realized that my photo commentary side-tracked your thread on your Model 28-2 revolver!! I'm really sorry about that. I'll try to behave.... ;) When I looked at your revolver photos, my curiosity just got the better of me.
PT7
CT_Shooter wrote:Interesting that that image looks fine in Preview mode. I resized your image to 640x35, uploaded it and attached it. In preview mode, both images, yours and my smaller version, were in their proper aspect ratio. When I submitted it, it was as distorted as yours and I deleted the post.

There MUST be a setting in the forum software that is attempting to resize them, but then distorts them. This is something that only Dave can find and fix. It will likely require editing a CSS file on the server, but I don't actually know that for sure.
garryj wrote:However, I have noticed that on all of my posts my pictures look distorted. Other posts look normal. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Mods, any suggestions?
Garry
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun May 27, 2018 10:19 am

Yea - let's get back on track with the mod 28 - and find me one!!'
0 x

Todddanger
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Todddanger » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:41 am

That 6 inch with the target sights were prretty rare where I'm from. The 4 inch with combat sights were more common. A lot were traded in when the 568/686 came out, that was the gun everyone wanted.

I had a 686 and the Model 57, I liked the N frames better.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:58 am

I do well with any Smith frame size, though I usually have to experiment a bit with my hold as well as the grips I'm using. My husband, though, has huge hands, He needs a large frame revolver tube comfy or at least target style grips. I think those huge paws of his are also why he does better with DA revolvers than semi-autos like a 1911. A DA revolver is easier for him when it comes to operation of the gun. I like revolvers, too, for the same reason.
0 x