Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Yep, another ? Rough Riders this time!

MICoyote
Wrangler
United States of America

Yep, another ? Rough Riders this time!

Post by MICoyote » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:48 am

Are they worth the $100 some for one?

You tube vids go from junk to very good reviews on these. Seems like using locktite on all the screws is a good idea.

I've held several in LGS but have never shot one. I have seen a lot of used one's for sale.

I know that they are not as good as a Ruger Single Six, but Ruger QC seems to be lacking nowadays.

One thing I did notice, and only one guy mentioned, is that almost all the guns review were the .22LR/.22Mag combo guns and that the .22 Mag grouped well but the .22LR didn't. The one guy, Mr. Holster, said this is due to the barrels being made to shoot the .22Mag and that the .22LR is not the same size and was "loose" in the barrel causing it to have the bad grouping.

So, I guess if I want to shoot just .22LR, I should just get a .22LR only model?

Thanks again everyone! ;)
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Yep, another ? Rough Riders this time!

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:50 am

MICoyote wrote: So, I guess if I want to shoot just .22LR, I should just get a .22LR only model?
I own the .22LR RR. The gun is the same; it just doesn't come with the 22 WMR cylinder, so you won't avoid the barrel issue by buying the .22LR only model. The mag cylinder can be ordered separately. It's a lot of fun to shoot. Like many folks, I bent the front sight a bit to get it to shoot straight. I'm no sharpshooter, but I can hit the target well enough to enjoy it.
3 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

MICoyote
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by MICoyote » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:55 am

Yes, I should have thought of that.

For a revolver at this price point I should have realize that they would have only one barrel size.

Thanks!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:53 am

Ruger has been using the same barrel size - the .224, 22 mag bore - on all its Single Sixes, not just the Convertibles, since the early 1960s. Later Colt 22 LR models like the New Frontier the same. It's not only a cost saving measure, it also insures that owners who would later try to add a 22 mag cylinder to an existing gun didn't inadvertently end up shooting 22 mag in a 22 LR bore.

Nevertheless, I've had some Single Sixes/Single Tens that were very accurate with 22 LR as well as some that were mediocre in accuracy. If you want a Single Six with a true .222/.223 22 LR bore size, you'll have to find a 50s vintage version. My point is that I would not hold that against the Heritage as being unique to that brand. In that respect, it is no different than a Ruger.

The difference is build quality.
4 x

MICoyote
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by MICoyote » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:59 am

Hmmm.

That explains a lot! Now I see why .22LR semi handguns & DA rev. are consistently more accurate than the SA rev.

Thanks, North Country Gal.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:26 am

I had a Heritage Rough Rider in .22LR, and it was a nice revolver. But taking the different factors in consideration when looking this gun over, you hit the key one --> "price point." That old saying <you get what you pay for> sometimes holds true.

My model was a 6RD .22LR 6.5" JONNY BOY. I did buy the .22 WMR cylinder, and it shot the magnums rounds pretty well; actually a little more accurately than the .22LR. All around, others have said on the Forum that the .22LR HRR revolvers are simply fun to shoot. That's where the value was for me.

Here's a picture of the Jonny Boy revolver:
Heritage RR 6.5-in Jonny .22LR Revolver.jpg
MICoyote wrote:Yes, I should have thought of that.

For a revolver at this price point I should have realize that they would have only one barrel size.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

~Пока~

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:22 pm

I must have got lucky with my RR. It shoots as well as the last several Ruger single six models I had. It is just the 22 cylinder model. Is it built to Ruger quality? H--- no. That is why they can sell for the price point they sell for. Have I had fun with it? If I threw it away tomorrow I have had enough enjoyment with it that I would be out nothing. I also don't have to be careful taking it out to shoot that I might mess up the finish on it. Mine is starting to show some character. :shock: :lol: They are worth what they can be bought for at most LGS but check the crown close as there has been some really bad crowns on some. I may just buy another one soon. I hate the safety but can live with it.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:57 pm

MICoyote wrote:Hmmm.

That explains a lot! Now I see why .22LR semi handguns & DA rev. are consistently more accurate than the SA rev.

Thanks, North Country Gal.
You're welcome. The bore size is one reason, but there are others, too. Still, just about any single action 22 LR has enough accuracy for just about any use, short of serious competition. Back in the day, I routinely used a Single Six for squirrel and rabbit hunting. Loved the challenge and the Ruger provided many good meals.
3 x

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:06 pm

We've got a Ruger Single 10 and a 22LR rough rider. The rough rider just doesn't come close to the fit,function, and overall quality of the Ruger, but then again, it was only $160. For $160, the Rough Rider is still a lot of fun to shoot and if it doesn't shoot straight out of the box, it's fun to tinker with and learn how to make it shoot better. You really can't go wrong with one of these at the price point...
0 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:20 am

I have a friend that has a R.R. and lost a screw from it about 8 months ago. He called the company and they said "back ordered" . He is still waiting.
1 x