Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Yep, another ? Rough Riders this time!

ChefDuane
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Yep, another ? Rough Riders this time!

Post by ChefDuane » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:01 am

I have the HRR .22LR 4.75". It's the most fun shooter I have. Feel like John Wayne each time I shoot it. Got a nice black leather belt/holster rig too, Pilgrim.
0 x
Henry Classic H001
Henry AR-7 Survival

USCG '77-'83
NRA/TxLTC

There is no greater protection against evil on the rampage than a loaded firearm in the hands of a free man.

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:51 am

I have one, has to be 8 years plus. My only question is, are they still as good as they were 5 years ago?
0 x

ChefDuane
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ChefDuane » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:46 am

Depends on how many rounds you have through it. Does it still shoot ok? As long as the lock up is still good and you're not getting any lead spray it should be fine. Remember, its only a $125 cast frame gun and one can't expect that it will last as long as a Single Six, Vaquero, or any of the other high quality SAA clones.
0 x
Henry Classic H001
Henry AR-7 Survival

USCG '77-'83
NRA/TxLTC

There is no greater protection against evil on the rampage than a loaded firearm in the hands of a free man.

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 am

ChefDuane wrote:Depends on how many rounds you have through it. Does it still shoot ok? As long as the lock up is still good and you're not getting any lead spray it should be fine. Remember, its only a $125 cast frame gun and one can't expect that it will last as long as a Single Six, Vaquero, or any of the other high quality SAA clones.
ChefDuane, my gun is fine. What I was referring to was the acquisition of Heritage by Taurus about 6 years back, after I bought mine. Before that, they were privately owned. I was wondering if they are still made as well. Large companies have a way of "cheapening" things up :)
1 x

ChefDuane
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ChefDuane » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:30 pm

Ah. I thought your were referring the age of your gun. My HRR is new and I did not know that Taurus Holding owned them until I went to the NRA show here in Dallas in May. I can't comment on the quality pre-Taurus but mine seems nicely made for a cast frame gun. Shoots fine and barrel alignment and lockup seems pretty good. We'll she how she is in 5 years and who knows how many rounds. Sure is fun to shoot!!
2 x
Henry Classic H001
Henry AR-7 Survival

USCG '77-'83
NRA/TxLTC

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:52 am

I've seen a good number of reviews from users that have nothing but good things to say about them. For me however all four of my SA 22s have been Rugers because as most have said the build quality is nothing like what you will get from a Ruger. For me I would rather pay more to get that quality than to pay a fraction of that and get something that just doesn't meet that standard. But that's typically how I am with all of my purchases. I'd rather pay more in the first place for something which is built better in the first place.

So from my point of view if you know what you can expect to get which is something which is not quite what a Ruger is going to be then go ahead and get the cheaper of the two.
0 x

North Star
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by North Star » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:33 pm

I have enjoyed my RR 6 with a birds head grip. With the interchangeable cylinder, I choose the 22 mag over the 22 LR just about every time. The accuracy is not great, but great for plinking . At the range, I like to start off with the 22 and work my way up to the 45 LC.... But lately the Henry BBB has been getting more attention.

I believe that Taurus USA now owns Heritage Arms. Taurus USA in Miami and Heritage Arms just up the road in Hialeah Fla.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:31 pm

I own a pair of Ruger SS's, and a pair of RR's.
The Rugers as we all know is the far more Superior firearm.
At the end of the day they are all fun, but
I have found that I can actually shoot the 6.5 RR better than either of my Rugers.
Don't know why.

YMMV

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:10 am

I don't get the sense that much has changed since Taurus took over, at least as far as the manufacturing. Service and customer service may be another matter. Last I checked you have to call them to get parts. I used to prefer to order online but NBD.
0 x