Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Question on getting a Taylor & Co. Short Stroke Smoke Wagon"Tuned"

MICoyote
Wrangler
United States of America

Question on getting a Taylor & Co. Short Stroke Smoke Wagon"Tuned"

Post by MICoyote » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:24 am

Thanks for looking.

In my search for a good single action, I have focused on the Taylor & Co. Short Stroke Smoke Wagon.

I've seen a lot of good reviews on this revolver and the price is decent. And the Short Stroke is good for guys, like me, who have large hands.

If I understand correctly, Taylor does some initial polishing when they get these from Ulberti? One thing I have not found is what the trigger pull is without the tuning.

And since I'm not going to do any SASS shooting, just plinking around a couple hundred rounds a year. Does it make any sense to get this tuned or the Deluxe model (which I take are the same thing)?

I can understand the extra polishing and such, but I really don't care for the 2.5 pound trigger. That seems rather on the lite side to me.

Of course, not as lite as Paladin's 1oz trigger! :lol:

I would like to see one before I buy, but my LGS don't carry SA up here and the few gun shows we have are mostly all black rifles.

Once again, thanks for any help! ;)
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Question on getting a Taylor & Co. Short Stroke Smoke Wagon"Tuned"

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:48 am

It's been my experience, examining current production new Uberti and Pietta SAs, that they already come with nice triggers. Have examined a few of both in regional stores and all were very good. My Cimarron/Pietta Frontier in 357 is such a gun. It came out of the box with an excellent, crisp and safe trigger.

My USFA Colt had an action job specifically for action shooting and THAT trigger was way too light for anything but competition. No way would I have carried it in the field. That's typically what a tune on a single action for CAS is all about.

Before ordering anything, though, why not visit with Taylor's and ask them what you're getting with the various options? Let them know your needs.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:54 am

I own a Taylors SmokeWagon and love it. I didn't buy a Deluxe model, but I like the trigger on mine. I've spoken to the gunsmith there and he's a very helpful guy. I'd love to know what he says about it.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:40 am

I got a Uberti Evil Roy for a friend of mine and he loves it also. I have owned several Uberti rifles and every one of them has been top notch. Al
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55