Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

So, how well do Ruger Blackhawks work straight out from the box?

MICoyote
Wrangler
United States of America

So, how well do Ruger Blackhawks work straight out from the box?

Post by MICoyote » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:52 am

How reliable are Blackhawks straight from the box?

Yes, that is the question. :mrgreen:

I have been doing my research on these revolvers and keep running into the need to have most single actions taken to a smith for a multitude of reasons. The Italian ones more then the Ruger's, but enough seem to have problems with the new ones.

Finding a used one in area is a no-go. The LGS around here charge more for used then new. :roll:

Now, I know that SASS types love to fool around make their guns faster to shoot, but I'm not interested in that.

I just want it for plinking, hunting, and SD needs.

So, is it a gamble buying a Blackhawk that will end up costing me more $$$ or not? Money is a tight issue for me and I really don't want to spend more than I have to.

Of course, finding a 45LC DA revolver ain't cheap either!

Thanks guys!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: So, how well do Ruger Blackhawks work straight out from the box?

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:39 am

First, I'm not telling you to pass on a Ruger. I have had some good ones, but I've had a like number of ones that needed extra work, out of the box and/or a trip back to Ruger to get them right. This is based on my personal experience with over a dozen new production Ruger revolvers in the last seven or so years. Not talking cosmetic issues, here. I'm talking functional and accuracy issues.

To the point, Rugers can be made to shoot, but it's not a brand I would recommend if you're expecting a high degree of certainty in getting a gun, right out of the box, that needs no extra attention. When buying a Ruger, always be prepared to do more to make them shoot. If not, go to a different brand. At the very least, INSPECT any new production Ruger very carefully before you buy.

As for new production Uberti and even Pietta Colt clones, I've had fewer issues than with Rugers. As long as you buy a Uberti clone through Taylor's or Cimarron, you'll have better odds of getting a gun that needs no extra work to shoot. This, again, is based on my personal experience.
5 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:10 am

My personal experience with my recent Ruger S/A revolver purchase is different...and I am most glad for what I got in this new handgun. I didn't get the Blackhawk model or caliber you mentioned. I have a Vaquero in .357 Magnum, stainless steel with a 4.62" barrel.
Vaquero_BHA_DSCN2393.jpg
New-out-of-the-box (NOOB) I had zero issues with its functioning well. In terms of accuracy, I'm still learning how to improve my shooting with the integral rear sight and front sight. I have no adjusts available with this fixed-sight system, so it's only up to me on getting the POIs in target. That's my choice, of course, and I'm actually enjoying the challenge of working through the elevation at different yardages.

The only issue I had is minor, and is now actually resolving itself. With my NOOB, this was the "dirtiest" handgun I've ever had to clean. There was an overzealous set of hands in action when lubricating the new revolver, and even after several of my mega cleans, there is still some grease oozing from the frame's connecting points. Like I said, no function issues, and I love the way the Vaquero handles and shoots. The grease is slowly but surely "going away." So this cosmetic aspect of a clean-looking stainless revolver is improving. I've had issues with other NOOB firearms, and it is never fun to deal with those, nor to handle any additional expenses. I'm one of the more fortunate I'd say in my NOOB experience with this revolver. :)

If you do get a Blackhawk, you might have the same good NOOB experience. I sure do hope that would be the case for you. Best as you decide on your choice of revolver.
PT7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:25 am

I own several Rugers. 41 mag, 357, 44 mag, 45 colt convertible with a 45 acp cyl, and a 22 LR convertible with a 22 mag cylinder. What NCG says is right on the money. I was given the 357 by a close friend and I bought the 41 mag used. All the rest were purchased new. My 22 shoots ok and its nothing to brag about in the accuracy dept. But the bore on those is set to accommodate the 22 mag more than the LR. I got lucky on the 41 and the 357 they both shoot excellent and I havent had to do anything to them or the 44 mag come to think of it. But the 45 colt is a bisley 5 inch barrel. I had alot of trouble with leading in the barrel because the cylinder throats were cut to small. This is quite common in Rugers. If you reload and are shooting cast bullets the cylinder throats will need to be evened up. Otherwise when a cast bullet is fired its resized by the throat before entering the forcing cone. This causes a poor seal in the bore and leading. I sent both of my cylinders to a guy who redid them and now the gun shoots very well. Its not really something that is high in cost but it does really improve the accuracy of the gun. As NCG said Ubertis are top notch and I have friends who have them they have been great right out of the box. Al
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:22 pm

I purchased a new Blackhawk 357 mag about a year ago. I have not experienced any problems with it what so ever.
It has never seen a jacketed bullet only cast. I have shot 4 different styles of cast from it.
125 RFN , 158 tumble lubed SWC , 158 GC SWC, 180 RNFP. Mostly mid range loads but some max also. I have never slugged the cylinders or the bore, all bullets are sized at .358.
Alox lubed or powder coated no leading .
So for what it's worth I am happy with the purchase.
3 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:36 pm

My Cimarron Uberti 1871 has been a real gem right out of the box. Hundreds of rounds thru it and slick action with zero issues. No experience with Ruger but I would buy another Uberti hands down. Its a shooter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:19 pm

as one who has used and supported Ruger firearms since the 60's, I'd go with a good 10, 20, or 30 year old Blackhawk before buying a new one ....
1 x

MICoyote
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by MICoyote » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:34 pm

Oh, that's pretty!

Maybe something different than the traditional Colt SA may be in order.

Off for more research!
0 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:30 am

In the '70s you could buy Blackhawks for $125 that were very good, reliable and smooth guns right out of the box.
I had a 4" .357 New model and an even older .44 flat top that could shoot groups like a Python.
Then in the early 2000s I bought a stainless, 4" .357 Vaquero. It had a couple tight chambermouths that needed reamed to size.. A bud took care of that job. I got a .480 Redhawk that had to go back to the factory for timing issues.
They fixed it. My brother (a ruger fanatic) said they lost something when old Bill Ruger stopped walking the production floors. He was the quality control in the old days.
I don't know how they're doing right now, but those .44 Hunters sure do catch my eye.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:17 am

I agree. I think it was a different company when Bill Ruger was running it.
2 x