Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

So, how well do Ruger Blackhawks work straight out from the box?

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: So, how well do Ruger Blackhawks work straight out from the box?

Post by DAVIDF » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:18 pm

I have two Super Blackhawks that have been great. Although, the older one (from late 90's) seems to have more leading issues but it doesn't seem to effect its accuracy. My newer Bisley Super Blackhawk which is a bit over two years old, has been great. Has there been recent issues with Super Blackhawks or has their quality control been better?

I have even heard employees in gun shops talk about a lower quality control from Ruger lately, I think regarding their single actions. I have not seen it with my sample of one. Nor have I seen it with their other lines. A number of friends have bought various Rugers lately that I have had the pleasure to shoot. All have been very good or excellent. The only issue I have personally seen is one LC9s that had a rear sight dovetail that was so tight the sight could not be moved. Several of us, including a gunsmith attempted to move it with various sight tools. None of us could get it to budge. It has or is being sent back to Ruger.

That brings me to the reason that I would never hesitate to buy a Ruger. Their customer service is excellent and they will take care of issues including replacing worn out guns that are past their useful life.
2 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:12 pm

DAVIDF wrote:I have two Super Blackhawks that have been great. Although, the older one (from late 90's) seems to have more leading issues but it doesn't seem to effect its accuracy. My newer Bisley Super Blackhawk which is a bit over two years old, has been great. Has there been recent issues with Super Blackhawks or has their quality control been better?

I have even heard employees in gun shops talk about a lower quality control from Ruger lately, I think regarding their single actions. I have not seen it with my sample of one. Nor have I seen it with their other lines. A number of friends have bought various Rugers lately that I have had the pleasure to shoot. All have been very good or excellent. The only issue I have personally seen is one LC9s that had a rear sight dovetail that was so tight the sight could not be moved. Several of us, including a gunsmith attempted to move it with various sight tools. None of us could get it to budge. It has or is being sent back to Ruger.

That brings me to the reason that I would never hesitate to buy a Ruger. Their customer service is excellent and they will take care of issues including replacing worn out guns that are past their useful life.
I bet if you reload and take one of those cast bullets you are shooting and try to pass it thru the throat in a reverse direction it wont go thru. If it doesn't pass thru there with out force then it is probably the reason you are having issues with leading. Al
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:29 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
DAVIDF wrote:I have two Super Blackhawks that have been great. Although, the older one (from late 90's) seems to have more leading issues but it doesn't seem to effect its accuracy. My newer Bisley Super Blackhawk which is a bit over two years old, has been great. Has there been recent issues with Super Blackhawks or has their quality control been better?

I bet if you reload and take one of those cast bullets you are shooting and try to pass it thru the throat in a reverse direction it wont go thru. If it doesn't pass thru there with out force then it is probably the reason you are having issues with leading. Al
Al,

You are correct. It won't go thru either the cylinder of my older Super Blackhawk that leads worse or my 2 year old Super Blackhawk. The newer one leads very little even though the cast is very tight for the cylinder. I get great accuracy with the cast, so if I get a little leading with the newer Super Blackhawk then it matters very little to me. But the older one is much worse. I have not slugged either of the revolver's barrels or cylinders, only my Henry's barrel which is my main concern. The plated bullets I use will slide thru easily, the are sized at .429.

The cast I use currently are sized at .432. However, in the past when I used cast sized at .431 with a harder BHN out of the older Super Blackhawk, the leading was even worse with the same powder charge, primer, and case.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:00 pm

I know of a guy in North Carolina who could fix that issue if you so desire. He did mine on my Bisley in 45 Colt and 45acp cylinder. He has done many and does a good job. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:50 am

Hey Al,

Yes, I would like to know. I probably will not keep the older plough share handled Super Blackhawk and probably would not do anything to my newer one since it has been nitrided. But, I will probably replace the older one with another Bisley of some configuration at some time and I would consider having the cylinder done on a new one. Thanks.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:46 pm

Back in 1976 I bought Rugers that were roll stamped "Made in 200th year of American Liberty. I had the 357, 41 Magnum, 45 Colt and the 44 Magnum. I also had the Single Six from 1976. I never did buy the 30 Carbine caliber. I no longer have them but they were flawless in the way they worked and had very good accuracy and I wish I still owned them. I got back into Ruger single actions in the mid '90's and later and I had issues with almost all of them and never had the accuracy of the '76 year hand guns. I don't think I would buy another one unless it was a '70's model to mid '80's model.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:13 pm

https://www.facebook.com/Cylinderhone-756429174391912/ Here he is on facebook if you have that. If you decide to do it and need help I can probably get an email address from him for you.
1 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:34 pm

Although I haven't shot it a whole lot, my 2015 made Vaquero 38/357 is just fine. Only minor problem is that it shoots a little low and I need to file down the sight a little. Other than that, it's been a joy to have.
1 x
NRA Member

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:10 am

Thanks Al! I saved the link to his facebook page. I appreciate it.
0 x

Todddanger
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Todddanger » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:34 pm

I had an Old Army and a 45 Vaquero. I still have a 1970 Single Six convertible. For what it's worth, my next one will be a 5 1/2 inch stainless Bisley 41 mag. Ive been watching on Gun Broker. I had a Smith Model 57 4 inch that was probable the most accurate hand gun I ever shot. I should have never sold it. I love that round.
1 x