Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Nitrided Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley by WMD Guns

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Nitrided Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley by WMD Guns

Post by DAVIDF » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:22 pm

My Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley was just delivered by UPS after being nitride by WMD Guns in Stuart Florida. They do the nitriding for Sigg. This finish isn't for everyone, and there is a wide variation in preferences for revolver finishes. I really like case color hardening, but this finish should be very protective if not pretty. However, my wife and I both agreed that we really like the looks of it, better than the original stainless finish.

I have been carrying this revolver a lot, sweating on it constantly. It started to develop some tiny corrosion spots on the backstrap. So I decided to look around for someone who could nitride it. Nickel Boron would be my first choice if the revolver was designed from the very beginning with that finish in mind. However, nitriding does not change the dimensions, but Nickel boron does and the cylinder would not fit properly and the barrel would require a smaller diameter bullet than I currenly use. I use the same loads for this revolver as my Henry, so having to use different loads caused me to immediately eliminate nickel boron as a choice.

Hopefully, I can test her out tomorrow or next weekend along with a new load, 7.5 gr of Alliant Sport Pistol under MBC's 240gr HC RNFP coated bullet. I also need to apply blue Loctite to all of the screws.

Top photo is my supervisor, Arabella, determining whether it meets her standards. Bottom photo is the before photo with its original stainless finish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Nitrided Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley by WMD Guns

Post by Cofisher » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:35 pm

That is a good looking revolver! I really like the finish and contrast of the hammer and trigger. Well done. Hope you are happy with it.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:52 pm

Very happy with it! I am even carrying it :D They talked to me about what parts they could nitride and what couldn't such as the trigger (it would be too brittle after nitriding) and springs (they could not withstand the heat). So I told them leave the hammer untreated as well. I think it turned out really good looking with the two tone finish.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:10 pm

I think it looks great. Be very interested in knowing how it holds up for you. Congrats.
0 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Thank you North Country Gal. If it holds up like my Glocks (which have the same or very similar treatment), it will last well past me :D I sweat on my Glocks all the time and they have never shown any kind of indication of corrosion.
0 x