Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

NCG will be proud of me

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

NCG will be proud of me

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:33 pm

NCG will probably get a big smile from this post. ;) I finally found another T/C Contender Super 14 in 223 to replace the one I foolishly traded after thinking I didn't need it because I left it home one season not used. I took a lot of small game and a few turkeys in the fall season with the last one I had. I shot prairie dogs a couple summers in Wyoming and Montana with the old one. Burris 10x scope for those trips. I killed prairie dogs with that one after my cousin missed them with his 223 rifle. Very deadly on critters and a lot of fun. Always regretted that decision. Well that has changed now even though I had to drain my piggy bank to buy it. Hoping for a decent shooter but I can only hope it equals the old one. This is old enough to have the Cougar on the frame side and have to break it open if letting down the hammer without firing. Came with a short Harris bi-pod a Burris fixed 7x scope with Burris steel base and steel rings and the walnut grip and fore arm. It is just like the old one but it has some big shoes to fill to equal that old one from years back. It is in excellent condition and I may have over paid at $600 for it with the other things with it but now I have one again. :D
6 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: NCG will be proud of me

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:42 pm

certainly hope it helps to build as many or more good memories than your former one .... looking forward to your range reports and comments after getting to know it up close and personal
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: NCG will be proud of me

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:19 pm

Outstanding! Love it.

I've owned probably close to a dozen Contender 223 barrels and never had a clunker. Some shot better than others, but no stinkers in the bunch. About as safe a barrel as you can buy for a Contender. Remember, though, all those Contender factory 223 barrels are a 1 in 12 twist, so keep those bullet weights on the lighter side.

I'm even more impressed that you know the basic safety procedures with an original Contender. A friend of mine nearly shot off her foot when she first got one, many years, ago, because she hadn't read the manual. Good for you.
4 x