Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

I may have made a mistake, but.......

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

I may have made a mistake, but.......

Post by clovishound » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:43 pm

Well, I talked to my brother yesterday, and decided I needed to pull Dad's old Colt out of the safe and clean it. I had forgotten how bad the barrel looked on it. It's an old Colt Challenger, the first gun I ever shot, and I made sure it was the first that Clovispup ever shot. Anyway, most of the bluing was gone and it looked terrible. I went over to my buddy's today, and asked him his opinion. Before I knew it, we were getting out the cold blue and gloves.

I didn't do a full on strip. It still has a few spots of surface rust, but if I want to go a little further, I can strip it back down and remove any remaining surface rust. The barrel turned out great. The rest is a tad uneven in the right light, but still looks 100 % better.

It's not a collector's piece. I will never sell it. I like the looks of it much better now. I might spend a half a day sometime and completely field strip it (the Colt's are a real pain in the behind to field strip) and remove any surface rust and redo the cold blue.

Anyway, here it is.
colt.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: I may have made a mistake, but.......

Post by Jdl447 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:01 pm

I think it looks darn good. If you're not going sell it and are happy with it,no one else's opinions matter.
1 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

TRock
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TRock » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:28 pm

I guarantee it looks better than I could have done...
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:56 pm

No mistake at all. I'd have done the same. Wouldn't worry about it one bit. Yes, just by virtue of being a Colt, the Challenger will always hold its value, but the diehard Colt collectors are more interested in the prestige models and much less so on the basic models like the Challenger. That, and a cold blue is a temporary fix, anyway. It's not really considered refinishing, as a hot blue would be. Enjoy. Those old Colt 22 semi-autos were great shooters.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:10 pm

After posting this, I got to thinking, I know...... dangerous. Anyway looked up the born on date from the serial number.

At this point I'm glad I did it. It looks so much better. I think my Dad would be pleased.

He wasn't a gun person. He had this pistol and a Remington .22 rifle. My Dad would occasionally take my brother and I out plinking. It was a real treat for us.

If I think about it too much, I might start looking at a proper hot blue refinish. It doesn't see much use. I really don't like the plastic grips, but hey, it's a family gun, so.... Not quite sure what to do with it other than take care of it, and shoot it from time to time.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:37 pm

Looks nice!
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:09 pm

It only needs to please one person and you know who that is.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:20 pm

Very Nice. I would make some wood grips for it, or check eagle grips. They probably have some.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:50 pm

Funny, Clovispup and I were just talking about making some wooden grips for it. They have some really nice ones available. Rosewood, with a thumb rest. Expensive though. I may just try my hand at a pair.
0 x

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Abnermal » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:49 am

Nice! I We all have guns of limited collector value but that in no way makes them any less precious to us. Dads' 97 Winchester and Savage 340 come to mind. Neither will be show pieces but they are a part of his life and mine. That's good enough! Enjoy and cherish your Dads' Colt-it is truly one of a kind!
0 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!