Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

I may have made a mistake, but.......

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: I may have made a mistake, but.......

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:30 am

clovishound wrote:Funny, Clovispup and I were just talking about making some wooden grips for it. They have some really nice ones available. Rosewood, with a thumb rest. Expensive though. I may just try my hand at a pair.
I have a set of custom grips for my Ruger MKII .22 with the very distinct thumb rest. I don't really care for it, but I can take it or leave it. Miss T has much smaller hands and hates that rest. Until I decide to reshape and refinish the custom grips to remove it, I put the factory grips back on the ruger. Tina shoots it more than I, since she uses it in conjunction with clearing the traps around her coops prn.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:07 pm

Well, my Mark I target has factory walnut grips with a thumb rest. Both the pup and I really like the thumb rest.

I found from experience that unless you have some experience and some woodworking tools that I lack, making grip panels is time consuming.
I don't mind spending some time playing around with a few pieces of wood, but sometimes it's better to just pony up the money and get something that is ready to go, and fits properly out of the box. I do like the idea of some bloodwood grips. Unfortunately, I don't have any decent bloodwood stock on hand that I could use for this project. I can buy some, but I would have to buy a $40 board. Of course, that would leave me with plenty left over for other projects. I love working with bloodwood for small projects. It is hard, works well, finishes well and is gorgeous.

After a few weeks I assume the interest in "upgrading" the Colt will wane. I will take it to the range next week and run some ammo through it. I'm sure that nice looking blue finish on the barrel will result in at least a 1/2" reduction in group size. :lol:
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

steelersfan97
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by steelersfan97 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:27 pm

My dad has the same pistol, though your looks like it might have a longer barrel than his. My dad's was made in 1953.
0 x
H006M, H015-223

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:20 pm

Mine has the 6" barrel. They came with 4.5, 6 and 6.25 inch barrels. Mine might be the 6.25 depending on where you measure from.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya