Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Winter Switchover

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Winter Switchover

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:58 pm

With the cold weather, it's time to make the switchover. I always carry something to keep me company, especially with the fact that more than most... I know what's really out there. :? It's not all the flowers and kitty cats that the Libs want us to believe. ;) During the summer and other T-shirt weather, you'll find me carrying the Glock 26/27 or the Smith M&P 340... both perfectly acceptable for the places we will go. If I need something larger... we probably won't go. :lol:

But, now that cold weather rolls around and I can at least wear a flannel overshirt... it's time to pull my gal out of the safe. She is old like me, more than 20 but under 25, but well over 20k rounds downrange. We have a relationship. :) Let's just say we know one another. Years of PPC, and lot's of practice. The old girl can still do her part and she has been well maintained. Yup, the SIG P220 that was Miss Tina's Father's Day Gift the first year we were together. What a Woman.
with some warmup.jpg
Ziggy isn't a pretty child with the holster wear and Hogue rubber grips to make sure she doesn't shift after she is drawn... but with 22 rounds in the three mags and one in the chamber.. I don't feel undergunned against the hi-cap guys... I'm carrying either Hydra-shocks or Speer Gold Dots, both proven performers... and you have to be ready to account for every round down range... right?

Zig and I travel together in a Galco Miami classic, itself about fifteen years old, or more. Well cared for, it's done it's job for all this time and still looks great. Quality tells.
winter carry 2.jpg
winter carry 1.jpg
Shoulder holsters aren't for everyone, or every situation, but they are great for driving, and great for my chair. :P
I usually wear either the flannel over shirt in the milder temps, or the appropriate jacket. Works like a charm, have never gotten a second look.
The key is to practice.

I had a young officer once who bought one, miami vice fan, and got it all adjusted. Came to the range to show it off, and had NO idea how to draw from it, or to reholster when he finally did get the weapon out. :? He had NOT practiced with the empty weapon, hadn't learned to draw from the dang thing. Basic with any new holster... sheesh. :twisted: :evil:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Winter Switchover

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:01 pm

What? That target? 15 yard line "aimed" fire. Not Bullseye slow fire, but not rapid fire. The rapid fire would all stay in the center of the reactive steel target at 15, but not a tight group like that. The instructor at Tactical Shooting school said if you had tight groups for rapid fire, you were holding back. LOL.
I could still ring the three shot Body Armor Drills. 2 + 1s as some call them, the last time I got to spend some real time on the range.

I like the shoulder holster in the Chair, the hip holsters tend to dig into my side where the chair pushes them against my body, and the pancakes get trapped between the back of the chair and my back. ;)
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Nice shooting!
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:09 pm

I need to try a shoulder rig I don’t like sitting on my gun. Galco does a good job with their leather. I have an IWB for my Kahr cm9 that I really like.
Good shooting Marine.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

TRock
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TRock » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:39 pm

I pocket carry a Sig P238 most of the time. After a few years I have become so use to it being there, I would be lost without it.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:06 am

RetiredSeabee wrote:I need to try a shoulder rig I don’t like sitting on my gun. Galco does a good job with their leather. I have an IWB for my Kahr cm9 that I really like.
Good shooting Marine.
Thanks. You'll have to give the shoulder rig a good try, a lot of folks try them for a week or so, write them off as uncomfortable and put them in a drawer and never wear them again. The key is to get them properly adjusted. Watch a couple you tube vids on that... and then put it on at home and wear it around, get it broken in, and settled in. Once it's broken it it's more comfortable and wears easier. At least it doesn't pull your pants down. :roll:

If you have neck or shoulder pain, make adjustments, and if you think you might have issues, get a rig with wider shoulder straps. With any holster, if it isn't comfortable, you won't wear it. The key to concealment is put it on and forget about it. You can't mess with it in public. 8-)
0 x