Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Classic Ruger

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Classic Ruger

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:29 am

Miss Tina has a friend she has been mentoring in her Chicken Hobby for several years and at the edge of that Mentoring, I have done favors for this woman on several occasions. Simple things for me, like tuning a new bike she bought, truing the wheels, adjusting the chain, greasing the bearings, and setting up the seat and handle bars. She likes to pedal around her neighborhood, but the big box store had no idea how to assemble the bike and just threw it together. In addition, I helped with a few projects she and her roommate needed done at their home and fixed a few things she would bring and leave in the shop when she visited. It's what friends do. She is an Air Force vet as well, and always a bit nervous... her job in the service was very high stress and she didn't handle the pressure well.

The chickens and the country living suits her, and keeps her calm... a nice lady at heart but very needy... if you know what I mean. :) We do what we can, but set limits. I got a call from her one day, and I told her I'd get Tina, who was, as usual, in the coops. The lady said she actually wanted to talk to me. She had gun questions. She had collected a number of guns and was keeping two, but wanted to sell two, and wanted to know if I would be interested.

Guns? I'm always interested.
She had the original receipts, and I told her they could have gone UP in value, or down.
If she would bring them we'd look them up next time she was over.
She and her friend did their research, and she came over with the guns, she told me she had set her price, for ME only.
The shotgun, she was going to trade to me for some chickens she was buying from Tina. That was about an even trade.

The handgun she was going to sell to me for what she paid, in the 70s, if I wanted it. She showed me the receipt, and the handgun.

It was a 1950s Ruger Single Six.
It badly needed cleaning and the hammer Screw was backed almost out.
"It's always been like that," she said. "It was like that when I bought it." :o
I was certainly taking the handgun, I'd find the parts if I needed to. (or so I thought)

I opened the safe, counted out the cash, and took both guns.
After she left, I removed the hammer screw and hoped for the best but expected the worst. The screw...
...was perfect. No wear, even the blue was intact.
I carefully screwed it slowly into place, no drag, no hangup, and it seated flush.
I could breathe again.
(I looked everywhere for the screw in case I needed one later, nary a one to be found... hens tooth)

I cleaned the gun up, and it looks pretty good for a gun made in the late 50s. There is some holster wear at the muzzle and on the ejector rod housing, the expected drag ring on the cylinder and the holster wear on the forward edge of the cylinder. Otherwise, it's beautiful. 8-)
Classic Ruger Single Six.jpg
I had tried to pay her a bit more for the gun, but she said she could never repay all that I had done, I could pay her price, or she would put the gun in the paper and sell it to a stranger. I took the offer. The shotgun I posted here before... made by the chainsaw company in the 1800s. A Coach gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Classic Ruger

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:39 am

Here is a peek at the shotgun...
It's a Husqvarna Coach Gun from the late 1800s. Husqvarna made high quality firearms in Sweden in the 1800s, including fully engraved hunting rifles and shotguns. This was probably a gamekeeper's gun, or a coachman's gun. :)
Swede Coach Gun.jpg
The tag on the gun when it was purchased in the 80s simply said, "1800s Swedish Coach Gun"
The lever under the forearm swings out at the FRONT, and drops the barrels. The gun is still shootable and locks up tight.
I don't shoot it, it's hanging on the wall in the den over my gunsmith's bench.... I admire the quality and the beauty of the design.
I think of the history it must have seen when I look at it.
;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Abnermal » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:55 am

Proof that good deeds are sometimes returned-with interest! Nice revolver and the shotgun is a true treasure. Would love to hear the stories both guns could tell.
0 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:59 am

Abnermal wrote:Proof that good deeds are sometimes returned-with interest! Nice revolver and the shotgun is a true treasure. Would love to hear the stories both guns could tell.
I have often thought that the coach gun might carry some really interesting tales. Back in the day, coachmen really were needed to protect passengers from bandits. I don't know that this gun didn't come here and see it's service as a coach gun in the west. 8-)
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:32 am

A nice frontier style coach gun is on my list. That's a cool one.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

steelersfan97
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by steelersfan97 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:58 am

Very nice.
0 x
H006M, H015-223

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:33 am

RanchRoper wrote:A nice frontier style coach gun is on my list. That's a cool one.
Tina got me a nice Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme as a Get Well gift after two surgeries in '12 and '13... It's Beautiful. No exposed hammers but nice furniture and two tone finish. I've never shot it. I have a number of other shotguns to shoot, and I've kept that one pristine because of the thought behind it.
:P
stoeger coach gun supreme comp.jpg
The Stoeger Coach Guns are available in several levels and price points and from all I've heard are good values. I LIKE the one I have.
:)
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:34 am

I am thinking very seriously of trying my hand at a holster for the Single Six... just to see how it turns out. Never made one before, and I'd be doing the lacing by hand. No sewing machine. But... that's the old way.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:38 pm

If that Single Six was actually made before 1960, it should have the true 22 LR bore size of .222, not the later .224 to accommodate shooting 22 mags. Somewhere in the early 60s, Ruger started offering the Single Six as a 22 LR/22 mag Convertible and ever since has made all Single Sixes with the larger 22 mag bore size. Had a 50s vintage Single Six with the the true 22 LR bore size for a time, and it was, indeed, a very accurate shooter. Bottom line is that you need to get out and shoot that one. :)
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks, the information points to 1958. When I can safely get down on the range without fear of falling, i'll give er a go and post a report.
:lol:
0 x