Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

GP100 optics

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

GP100 optics

Post by SingleAction357 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:21 am

I have a 4.2 inch gp100 I wanna put a rail on and add optics to. I wanna make it a 100 yard gun and put a small see all open sight on top of the scope for short range. The thing is, I wanna know what kinda scope I should use. I want this to be a hunter so 100 yards is a must. I'm kinda new to optics so all help is appreciated.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: GP100 optics

Post by JEBar » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:03 am

wow .... you've set out on a most interesting path .... my boys hunt with GP100's with 6" barrels .... I have a compact Aimpoint Red Dot on my Redhawk with 7.5" barrel and it changes everything related balance .... the Aimpoint works well at shorter ranges but the brighter the day and the longer the shooting distance, the less effective it becomes .... I'm sure there has to be a very compact 100 yard scope out there and I'm looking forward to seeing the recommendations posted in this thread .... mounting effective fixed sights on top of a scope would put them so far above the barrel is bound to be a challenge ....
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:11 am

Hunt what? That's the first question you need to address. What accuracy are you expecting at 100 yards? Your experience as a handgun shooter? Have you used a scope on a handgun, before?

Putting a rail on the GP is the easy part. Weigand makes an excellent no drill and tap rail for the 4 1/2" GP. Have used it with a red dot. Might even have one around, here, I could let you have, since I no longer shoot GPs.
http://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-GP100- ... Drill.html

The rest will not be so easy, but be glad to help anyway I can.
0 x

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by SingleAction357 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:33 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Hunt what? That's the first question you need to address. What accuracy are you expecting at 100 yards? Your experience as a handgun shooter? Have you used a scope on a handgun, before?

Putting a rail on the GP is the easy part. Weigand makes an excellent no drill and tap rail for the 4 1/2" GP. Have used it with a red dot. Might even have one around, here, I could let you have, since I no longer shoot GPs.
http://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-GP100- ... Drill.html

The rest will not be so easy, but be glad to help anyway I can.
Deer, javelina, things of that size and sort. I am new to scoped handguns but I gotta put one on and hit the range to gain experience. I'm hoping to be consistent on a 6 inch plate at that distance. As far as my handgun experience it's pretty good, I shoot revolvers more than anything else and am good with open sights at 50 with my gp100 and blackhawk provided I'm using some full house .357. You're offering me a red dot, that's nice of you. What kind is it and what do you want for it?
0 x

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by SingleAction357 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:39 pm

JEBar wrote:wow .... you've set out on a most interesting path .... my boys hunt with GP100's with 6" barrels .... I have a compact Aimpoint Red Dot on my Redhawk with 7.5" barrel and it changes everything related balance .... the Aimpoint works well at shorter ranges but the brighter the day and the longer the shooting distance, the less effective it becomes .... I'm sure there has to be a very compact 100 yard scope out there and I'm looking forward to seeing the recommendations posted in this thread .... mounting effective fixed sights on top of a scope would put them so far above the barrel is bound to be a challenge ....
The idea for some kind of reflex sight on top of the scope is so I have a quick sight method if something tougher than me wants to tangle in the wild. We have mountain lions where I'm at and while they typically avoid humans I'd like that extra insurance. If my scope rings are reasonably short I should have a sight line about the same height above my bore as a Chiappa Rhino. Handguns are my passion on the range and get shot the most but currently in hunting I've just been using a double barrel on birds, rabbits, and rattlers. Since I'm not some big bad gun fighter I figure handgun hunting is the next logical push for my skill. I have taken a couple rabbits with my new mares leg, but that's not handgun enough for me.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:48 pm

I'm offering you a mount, a Weigand mount. Allows you to mount either a scope or red dot. Not offering a red dot. Let me know if interested.
1 x

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by SingleAction357 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:13 pm

North Country Gal wrote:I'm offering you a mount, a Weigand mount. Allows you to mount either a scope or red dot. Not offering a red dot. Let me know if interested.
I'm definitely interested.
0 x

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by SingleAction357 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:39 pm

Looks like I'll be getting this rail earlier than I had expected thanks to a forum member, so I think I'll try and get some video of how I figure out how to do this. Before optics are added though I may experiment shooting sightless down the rail just for kicks though.
1 x