Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Safety on Uberti Single Actions

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Safety on Uberti Single Actions

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:14 pm

:shock:

I have watched a lot of videos about these revolvers... a LOT of videos. 8-)
I would really like to add a 357 color case hardened Single Action with Birds Head Grips to my Safe.
I'd like mine to be Stag, or Bone... but nicely figured wood would suit in a pinch.
A friend wanted to buy one of my extra Glocks... set up for competition, and some of the extra mags.
Nope... but i'll trade yah... the gun above and a belt and holster.

Deal, he said.
Then something came up.
Doesn't it always? :lol: if you have a house, a car, or a family... and are responsible.... these things happen. :)
I told him that gun wasn't going anywhere.
So, I'm watching videos....

And who knew Uberti Single Actions had Safeties?
Give this guy a break for confusing his firearms terms... he learnt me something. :P

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZabndddxLkQ
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Safety on Uberti Single Actions

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:38 pm

My rimfire Henrys have the same thing. You just pull the hammer back slightly. But don't trust it. The only sure safe way is to do the John Wayne load.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Interesting. My 1871 Uberti does not have that so it's hammer on empty chamber always.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:41 am

I learned the hard way about that safety cylinder pin on my Uberti Smokewagon. When I first got it, I dry fired the gun with the safety pin pushed all the way in, which created a heck of a burr on the pin. When I went to release the safety, I had a devil of a time pulling that pin out again. I called CS, who informed me that it's a common problem. It can be fixed by filing the burr away, which I did, but I also bought a replacement pin, too. And I don't dry fire it like that anymore.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:40 am

CT,

I saw a new video this morning that shows the series II guns no longer have that cylinder pin safety, but a concealed passive safety built into the hammer/trigger combo. If the hammer should fall without the trigger pulled... the firing pin doesn't (shouldn't) penetrate thru it's hole in the frame. A hammer block of a sort.

But as always... the safety minded among us, follow the four primary rules of good gun safety... and no need to worry. ;)
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:00 am

My Pietta Colt clone has a similar setup. I regard the the two position base pin as a gun lock to be used when the gun is stored, rather than an operational safety when the gun is carried. Can't say for sure, bit I doubt whether Uberti or Pietta meant it to be anything else. For sure, it is in no way equivalent to a transfer bar safety as used on Ruger single actions and other revolvers. As those of us who shoot single actions, know, those base pins can be a real devil at times to move. If you're carrying a Colt clone, there's still only one way to carry it, safely, and that is loading the gun with five rounds and the hammer resting on an empty cylinder. (Load one, skip one, load four.) Not sure where that John Wayne label came from. Folks have known this from day one, long, one before John Wayne's time.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:44 pm

I had never heard it called a John Wayne load either but knew what it meant without explanation. I don't trust the safety on my Henry either. My triggers are light enough that a good bump and it closes from the full cock position to safety. If it is on the level it will not fire. But if it is pointed upwards just the weight of the trigger falling back will fire the round on closing. I do not carry it with a round in the chamber and only cock it when ready to shoot. After shooting I don't work the action till I'm ready to shoot again.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:05 pm

North Country Gal wrote: Load one, skip one, load four.
My SAA is never loaded at home, but even at the range and just because it's a good practice, I load one, skip one, load four. Then I load five into my Henry and alternate guns, shooting five shots each at targets. I'll be getting back to the range in January. By then, it will have been a full year since I've been shooting, so I am very much looking forward to getting back in the saddle. After that, I expect to shoot several times per week.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:39 pm

Uberti and/or other Italian Colt clone manufacturers apparently did that due to import restrictions requiring a safety on handguns. If that is correct, it is a very nice way of doing it without altering the action.
1 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:34 pm

CT, glad to hear you'll be shooting soon. Good for you.

There was another feeble attempt to add a safety on a Colt SA, back in the 80s with the last run of the Colt New Frontier 22 revolver. It had a funky cross bolt safety incorporated into the loading gate. After loading the gun and before closing the loading gate, you had to depress the safety, first, in the loading gate in order to get the gun to fire. NOT a popular feature with Colt fans, so this version was doomed from the start, but the 80s were a period big on lawyer proofing.
1 x