Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The 1911 Slippery Slope

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: The 1911 Slippery Slope

Post by dave77 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:38 am

Have never shot a Glock, they may be very dependable and accurate guns but I prefer my DA/SA Beretta's which also have the advantage of being very good looking guns instead of being one of the most ugly guns every made. :lol:
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:53 am

Well, one reason 1911’s are such a slippery slope to start down is no one in their right mind has ever said they are ugly. In fact, it’s amazing when you think about it that a gun adopted by the military in 1911 still looks modern today. It’s a true classic.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:15 am

OK, get the tar and feathers ready, a bit of heresy is on tap .... I'm happy for those who prefer and enjoy semi auto hand guns and I hope everyone finds the ones that they really enjoy .... also as previously noted, I have owned a 911 Colt Commander 45 .... it performed flawlessly, when I pulled the trigger it fired and the bullet went, pretty much, where I wanted it to go .... I sold it because it didn't feel good in my hand .... the only semi auto that I've ever held that really felt good in my hand is a 30 caliber Luger .... for me the design of the Luger grip is perfect .... as also noted, my handgun preference is a double action revolver .... I've fired Sigs, Glocks, S&W's, Beretta's, Colts, Walthers, Rugers, and some WWII vintage European and Japanese semi auto hand guns .... for me, none can hold a candle to the feel of a Redhawk, GP100, or S& W double action revolver
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:49 am

ditto1958 wrote:Well, one reason 1911’s are such a slippery slope to start down is no one in their right mind has ever said they are ugly. In fact, it’s amazing when you think about it that a gun adopted by the military in 1911 still looks modern today. It’s a true classic.
Agree. The 1911 is an icon. It's typically the gun people visualize when you mention the word, pistol, even people not familiar with guns.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:56 am

JEBar wrote:OK, get the tar and feathers ready, a bit of heresy is on tap .... I'm happy for those who prefer and enjoy semi auto hand guns and I hope everyone finds the ones that they really enjoy .... also as previously noted, I have owned a 911 Colt Commander 45 .... it performed flawlessly, when I pulled the trigger it fired and the bullet went, pretty much, where I wanted it to go .... I sold it because it didn't feel good in my hand .... the only semi auto that I've ever held that really felt good in my hand is a 30 caliber Luger .... for me the design of the Luger grip is perfect .... as also noted, my handgun preference is a double action revolver .... I've fired Sigs, Glocks, S&W's, Beretta's, Colts, Walthers, Rugers, and some WWII vintage European and Japanese semi auto hand guns .... for me, none can hold a candle to the feel of a Redhawk, GP100, or S& W double action revolver

Not at all, JEBar. You're hardly in a minority. Lots of shooter prefer revolvers and even those of us who love 1911s usually shoot revolvers, too. I certainly do. I even practice shooting our double action revolvers in double action mode, even though I'd rather carry a semi-auto if I did carry (which I don't). Never could see the point of owning a DA revolver and only shooting in single action mode. Nothing quite like a vintage Smith with a beautiful DA trigger.
1 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:16 pm

I have less then $1600 in all three of my Glocks total .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:46 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
JEBar wrote:OK, get the tar and feathers ready, a bit of heresy is on tap .... I'm happy for those who prefer and enjoy semi auto hand guns and I hope everyone finds the ones that they really enjoy .... also as previously noted, I have owned a 911 Colt Commander 45 .... it performed flawlessly, when I pulled the trigger it fired and the bullet went, pretty much, where I wanted it to go .... I sold it because it didn't feel good in my hand .... the only semi auto that I've ever held that really felt good in my hand is a 30 caliber Luger .... for me the design of the Luger grip is perfect .... as also noted, my handgun preference is a double action revolver .... I've fired Sigs, Glocks, S&W's, Beretta's, Colts, Walthers, Rugers, and some WWII vintage European and Japanese semi auto hand guns .... for me, none can hold a candle to the feel of a Redhawk, GP100, or S& W double action revolver

Not at all, JEBar. You're hardly in a minority. Lots of shooter prefer revolvers and even those of us who love 1911s usually shoot revolvers, too. I certainly do. I even practice shooting our double action revolvers in double action mode, even though I'd rather carry a semi-auto if I did carry (which I don't). Never could see the point of owning a DA revolver and only shooting in single action mode. Nothing quite like a vintage Smith with a beautiful DA trigger.
More proof from NCG that great minds run in the same ruts. :)

Yes, it sure is true. 1911’s and revolvers go together like peaches and cream.
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:52 pm

tx gunrunner wrote:I have less then $1600 in all three of my Glocks total .
tx gunrunner, are all three of those ugly Tupperware guns chambered in 40 S&W? Aren’t you aware that 40 is a dead caliber? After all, everyone knows that 9mm is now much more effective than 40. :)

Oops, wait a minute. How did this get here? I just found this in my nightstand:
CB1B8E1A-7F00-41C6-A92E-05CF7AAD85EA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:14 am

The 40 is a far better caliber then 9mm in my opinion . The 9mm will equal a 40 with the right bullet in it . The FBI switched back to the 9MM because there officer can't handle the recoil of the 40. [ I don't feel recoil ] Just remember why the 40 as designed because the 9mm and 38 sp shot the bad guy was shot 12X and he killed and wound a lot of cops before he died in Miami shoot out .. The 9mm with the correct bullet will do a good job . For $108 for a barrel I can switch my Glock's 40 to a 9 mm but you can't switch 9mm to a 40. My 180/40/980 fps matches 185/45/960 fps knock down power .
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:04 am

Hey, let's not forget the 10mm, the one that started it all for the .40. Glad to see the 10mm coming back into popularity. Have shot it in a 1911 and a Sig and it really is an outstanding round.
1 x