Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Blackhawk - short or long barrel

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Blackhawk - short or long barrel

Post by dave77 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:24 am

Planning on getting a Blackhawk .357/9mm convertable. LGS had a std. Blackhawk .357 I held today, felt good. Saw online that another local LGS has the convertible model with a short barrel in stock but the first store can have one in either size in stock in about a week for around $40 less.

I don't have much experience with revolvers, only have owned a .38 2" barrel undercover so was wondering what size barrel you people with more revolver experience would recommend.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelB ... odels.html
0 x

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Blackhawk - short or long barrel

Post by Abnermal » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:49 am

I've got two .357 Blackhawks. One in 4 5/8 and one in 6.5. Accuracy wise I like the 6.5 plus I got that one on a 10 dollar raffle ticket. For ease of carry I like the shorter barrel. Haven!t shot them since the last cowboy match. That's been over a year ago. Might get one out next time I go to the range. I think the convertible thing would be neat. 9 mill ammo is a whole lot cheaper than .357 Magnum! I'd go for it if I were you.
0 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:41 am

I will weigh in on this topic but personal preference has a lot to do with that decision. I have 3 Ruger single action revolvers (single six, blackhawk, and super blackhawk). My single six and blackhawk both have 6.5" barrels. I bought the super blackhawk last and was sure I wanted a shorter barrel, so I bought the 5.5" barrel model.
For me, I would not want one with a barrel shorter than 5.5" or one with a barrel greater than 6.5". For me, personally, I think the 6.5" barrel blackhawk is a good all purpose revolver. I have no intentions of parting with mine.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:01 pm

No wrong choice. Have owned both lengths in Ruger SAs and others, beside. Really depends on your use or what you want out of your gun. Will this be a range gun? target gun? carry gun?

Note that there are other differences in Ruger 357 SAs to consider.

The standard New Model Blackhawk in blue uses an aluminum grip frame. The stainless NM Blackhawk uses a steel grip frame. The difference in weight does produce a different feel to the gun.

The standard NM Blackhawk in 357 is built on the large Ruger SA frame which is heavier than needed for the 357. The NM Vaqueros and, especially if you want the convertible, that Lipsey's 5247 Flat top, are built on the medium Ruger SA frame. Still strong enough to handle the heaviest 357 mag loads, but closer to a Colt in handling than the standard NM 357.

Sorry to get off topic, so when it comes to barrel length, my favorite do everything, all around length in a single action revolver in 357 or 45 Colt is the 4 1/2" (or 4 5/8" in the Ruger) or even the 5 1/2". If you plan to carry the gun for any length of time, the 4 5/8" is an especially nice choice, but it is still a fun to shoot range gun. For strictly paper pinching at longer distances or for hunting, the 6 1/2" is a great choice.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:42 pm

I'm getting it to carry when I'm shooting my BBB, so won't be carrying it for long periods of time or in a vehicle, have my PX4 for that. Will be mainly using it for plinking and paper targets out to 25 yds. Really like that it will also shoot 9mm, 1/2 the price of .357 and should be fine for plinking. Hoping I can sight it in for 25 yds with .357 and just adjust the sight picture for shorter range shots with the 9mm.

I'm kind of leaning toward the 6.5 barrel so will probably have them order one. When I finally decide I want a certain gun I hate waiting, I have a concealed carry permit so at least I don't have to wait once it comes in.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:55 pm

I have 3 short barrel models a 44,357 and a 41. I have a 45colt 45cp convertible in the 5.5 barrel length. I really like the short barrels and all of mine shoot very good. I think its a matter of preference myself. I just like the way the short barrel looks. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:19 am

agree on the importance of personal preference .... my first Ruger revolver was a '60's era 44 Mag Blackhawk with long barrel .... I don't remember exactly, the barrel had to be somewhere between 7 & 9" .... it performed flawlessly, I took my first Black Bear with it .... it simply wasn't a good fit for me and I wasn't sorry to see it go .... I've owned a bunch of revolvers since then and have found that for hunting, I still prefer longer barrels (my Redhawk model 5003 has a 7.5" barrel) .... for a 357 fun, range shooter, I prefer 4 to 5" barrels .... my recommendation would be to make an effort to try different ones, by doing so you can make your decision based what proves to best meet your wants/needs
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:14 pm

Here is my 44-40's in 3 different barrel length . I had two 7.5 so I cut one down to 3.5 and kept the other 7.5 for hunting . The two in 1 one pic are my SASS /CAS which are 4 5/8 . All these gun were shoot with same ammo I custom make . These are all test fire targets after cutting the forcing cones to 11 degrees . I normal shoot these guns on steel and these are the only paper target I ever shoot with them . Personally I don't see a difference in the targets only the feel of the guns different . The 4 5/8 I shoot much better in a match then the two 7 1/2 for speed and handling .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Blackhawk - holster

Post by dave77 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:11 am

So, I ordered the Blackhawk 357/9mm 6.5" today, may be here by the end of the week. I hate waiting but with my CCP I can pick it up as soon as it comes in.

Now I have to find a decent holster. Not sure if I want just a holster or a full cowboy rig. Just looking around a bit and found this, looks decent and is not too expensive at under $200 if I decide to go full cowboy.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/b_west ... /aws1.html

Any other suggestions are more than welcome.
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:03 am

I like these holster . I got the guns and holster from Tx Jack [ owns Cimarron ]

https://www.texasjacks.com/guns-n-stuff.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x