Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What's your dress gun?

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: What's your dress gun?

Post by Conax » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:46 pm

This little shooter packs a wallop and looks pretty nice in its black crossdraw with the star doodad.

I have three barrels, .45 Colt/410, .22WMR and .45acp.

What it lacks in firepower it makes up in intimidation. It can be restoked in a few seconds but it wouldn't be my first choice in a movie-type shootout. It's best with Ultimate Defender 000 buck loads or .45 acp 185 grn HPs for defense.
I have some old reloads in .45 LC that are loaded down to cowboy pressures and .22WMRs for plinking and practice.
I've yet to hit anything smaller than a cantaloupe, but I don't try too hard really.
I only wish they would make me a .44 spcl barrel about 3 1/2".. That would be sweet. ;)
3 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:37 am

It's a long, strange story but one hot summer day I found a large, stray iguana in my garage. I've seen young ones people had as pets but they were never this big.
Figuring it was tame I tried to pick it up to bring it out of there, but it was mean and and hissed, slapped at me with its tail and ran to hide in some stuff, clambering over garden tools, knocking stuff around. :o
I tried to lure it into a pet carrier with some greens, no good. Later that day I made a quick grab at its tail to pull it out from under some stuff and it turned to snap at my hand, made me let go quick! :shock:
The next afternoon I poked around looking for it and it let out another loud hiss.
Having enough of this foolishness I loaded that Bond derringer with 410 birdshot shells (#7) and waited for his next appearance. The suspense was kind of fun. In a day or two he showed himself again, over by the wall trying to blend in.
I got him in one shot from about 5 feet away. The shot rolled him up on two legs then he flipped over upside down. I counted 19 tiny holes but there may have been more. The thing was 59" long nose to tail and weighed about 5 pounds. He had hissed his last.
So this gun rid my garage of a fiendish reptile for me.
I didn't want to do it, but he wouldn't come along peacefully. I'm too old to be wrangling huge angry lizards, so..
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:39 am

Miss Tina had one as a pet for a while, nearly two years.. that thing got huge, and was quick. But hers was handled every day and pretty tame. A whack with that tail, even accidentally, was unpleasant to say the least. In the end, she got to be to much with four small kids in the house... we traded her back to the pet shop for store credit.

We have had to put down a number of things on the farm... mostly predators in the traps around the coop area. Miss T usually handles it herself, but occasionally calls me. Her go to gun? A venerable old Ruger MK I 22. She likes the grip, the gun has solid weight to it that dampens recoil, and the stingers do the job. Most important, less chance the 22 will tear up the traps if she misses. ;)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:25 am

Miss Tina sounds like a fine catch. Most ladies will leave those unpleasant chores to us "tough guys".
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:30 am

Hate to be under-gunned. :)

4 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:24 pm

Remind me not to surprise you in a dark parking lot, North Country Gal, that's a bunch of gun. :P
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:56 pm

Just your average 44 magnum plinker.
2 x

BigBlue
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by BigBlue » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:19 am

Here's my BBQ gun, a Ruger SP101 with Hogue grips.

.http://henryrifleforums.com/download/fi ... ew&id=7733
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:17 am

I'd do fine with my Cimarron 357. Nothing fancy, but I'm not really the fancy type, anyway. Holster is handmade by a local holster maker.

2 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:02 pm

At this moment, my .38 LCR is in the hands of a friend of my son. He is custom forming a pocket holster that will be made of suede on the outside to keep it in the pocket and lined with something slicker than snot ( makers words) for a quick draw. Present from my son for Christmas. He's a good boy.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856