Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another 1911 question

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Another 1911 question

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks, Dave.

There are now very few gun brands that I would trust to buy sight unseen. This is not a rant about lack of quality control. It's just the nature of the business model being used by most gun companies to keep costs under control and make guns we can afford. Hand fitting/finishing and taking time to thoroughly inspect a gun before it leaves the factory are very costly procedures. Some companies still do this, but you have to pay the big dollars to buy one of their products. This leaves it to us to inspect and choose the best examples from a batch of affordable guns. We obviously can't do that, sight unseen. For example, I was patient and waited over a period of a year, looking at half-dozen SA Mil-spec 1911s until I found one that had a trigger I liked and passed all of the above 1911 tests. It was well worth it, though. That budget grade Mil-spec has been an awesome 1911. It's now one of the last guns I will ever sell.

Bottom line for me is that you do not have to spend a lot of money to buy a gun that performs well, right out of the box, but the odds of getting an affordable gun that does that are greatly improved buy inspecting before you buy. When I order a gun in from a dealer, I demand the right to pass on the gun if it does not pass my inspection. If the dealer refuses, I find another dealer.
0 x

Jon4ta
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jon4ta » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:12 pm

NCG, Dave,

Decided to stop in a LGS ( Sarcos ) and looked at 4 models in my price range. Happens the RIA 1911 A1 FS fits the bill. As far as bang for the buck salesman feels this is the best buy. I very much liked the fit and weight of the gun. At $440.00 it fits the budget and reviews have been positive. When I'm ready to buy I will bring along your checklist and rookie my way through it. If either of you will be visiting my neck of the woods in the next month or so I would just bring one of you to hold my hand. Thanks for all the input. Now to fill out all the crazy N.J. paperwork.
0 x
The only thing better than A Henry.....Is Another Henry!

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:33 pm

I've heard good things about the RIA 1911s. They are supposed to be a good entry level 1911. If you want some of the niceties, you will have to spend a little time, and/or money on the trigger, barrel, etc. If you just want a basic, reliable shooter, they are supposed to be good as is.

Good news is there are a ton of aftermarket parts for 1911s if you want to customize down the road. Have fun, both Clovispup and I have grown to love our 1911 in a short period of time.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:43 am

Jon,

I was lucky about 25 years ago. Colt came out with a more budget minded series around 1991 I think. I picked up my Commander at that time. It is still a solid performer today. The only addition/modification was the addition of trijicon sights after the front sight fell off.

A word of caution on budget magazines. Don't. I bought a no name mag that caused the only malfunction I've never been able to clear by hand. I had to use pliers to help get the mag out. Turns out the mag lips lost their mind and decided to form a new shape. I promptly stomped that mag flat and threw it out. Be careful in selecting an extra mag. I know quality has improved industry wide in 25 years, but choose wisely with the wallet as only one point of consideration.

Good luck with the RIA if it works out. I'll defer to NCG for the hand holding in this instance. :oops: :lol:
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Jon4ta
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jon4ta » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:30 am

Thank you to all for the great info. Working a little more overtime to put the funds together. Hoping to purchase by the end of July. Will get back to y'all if things go well.
0 x

Tape
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Tape » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:35 am

Your first 1911 I would go with Springfield, they have the best warranty and CS in the firearms industry. They cost a bout 150$ more than your budget but well worth it down the road. GL on your choosing
0 x

Jon4ta
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jon4ta » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks Tape.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:04 pm

I can attest that the Springfield is a great 1911. I am very pleased with my Range Officer. It comes with a lot of stuff that will be mods and money on a basic.

It's not a custom, but it doesn't come with a custom price tag.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Jon4ta
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jon4ta » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Small update..still waiting on paperwork..gotta love N.J.
0 x

Jon4ta
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jon4ta » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:49 pm

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/models.html
This is the one I settled on two tone. Have gotten the chance to shoot aprox.100 rounds. Learned I need practice. Love the size and weight.
0 x