Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Double action double troubles !

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Double action double troubles !

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:48 am

:( Well my high buck Colt Anaconda is sitting at Colt on it's 2nd trip since I bought it to get the cylinder end shake and light primer strikes fixed so I took my S&W M-69 5 shot 44 Mag out Saturday for some fun. Now this had to go back 3 times right after I bought it to fix several issues and after that was a good shooter with a surprising light action that was a joy to shoot. Well as I was shooting it in SA and DA it started to get one light strike in DA and then 2 light strikes even though the SA hits were all positive bangs. Didn't matter the 3 different loads I had and got to the point the first 3 rounds fired in DA would not go off and then ALL 5 failed with tiny dimples in the primers. If I had to use it quick in DA mode for defense I would have been dead! What the heck is going on with my 44 Mag DA revolvers here???
Did a search and you can get slightly longer S&W firing pins for them to correct the issue. Looks easy to do the repair but damn why can't you depend on the big name revolvers anymore???? That Colt is like owning a new Corvette that you can't do much of any repair work on it like simply adjusting the cylinder end shake. Really thinking of selling it when it comes back as I don't want anything I can't maintain on my own.
Got my eye on another Ruger SA in 44 Mag too. I love my Ruger Bisley 44 Special Flat Top but even though it could handle my low level 44 Mag loads it is way too much of a risk to simply cut the cylinder chamber deeper for 44 Mag. What a shame as it is the perfect handy size and fit for it to companion with my Uberti 1872 44 Mag carbine. Just have to shoot Specials when both are out. It can handle 25,000 PSI 44 Special loads according to shooting experts but to easy for a standard 44 mag load to get mixed in.
Might sell both the Colt and that M-69 Smith.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Double action double troubles !

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:56 am

I think alot of this is people just dont want to work. When they do they do lousy work because their mindset is to shortcut it as much as they can.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:18 am

Not sure if I told the story about the new S&W 617 22 LR DA revolver that I bought last fall and have yet to get out and use for a full range session, so here goes.

It came in to my local shop and was put on display and then a customer discovered that the barrel was actually marked 22 magnum. Yup, Smith had put the wrong barrel on it, so it went back to Smith to get a 22 LR barrel. Then I come along and buy it, only to get it home and discover that it had the dreaded Smith light strike problem, so back it went, again, to Smith. Checking my records, I also had another 617 some ten years back that also had to go back to Smith for the very same issue. Now, you would think that as common a problem as light strikes are with Smith revolvers that they would do some QC for this issue before shipping, but obviously not. Yeah, this will probably be my last S&W.
2 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:14 pm

My recent new S&W 686+ 7 shooter has been very reliable so far with everything about it perfect. Maybe they get one out the door right once in awhile!
Going to dig into the M69 remove the firing pin and see if the length is up to spec or if it is just some debris in there.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:22 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:18 am
Not sure if I told the story about the new S&W 617 22 LR DA revolver that I bought last fall and have yet to get out and use for a full range session, so here goes.

It came in to my local shop and was put on display and then a customer discovered that the barrel was actually marked 22 magnum. Yup, Smith had put the wrong barrel on it, so it went back to Smith to get a 22 LR barrel. Then I come along and buy it, only to get it home and discover that it had the dreaded Smith light strike problem, so back it went, again, to Smith. Checking my records, I also had another 617 some ten years back that also had to go back to Smith for the very same issue. Now, you would think that as common a problem as light strikes are with Smith revolvers that they would do some QC for this issue before shipping, but obviously not. Yeah, this will probably be my last S&W.
Sounds like a familiar scenario with Henry and the 44 mag
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:55 pm

I don't own a 44 mag, didn't want to buy another caliber that I'd have to reload for. I was offered one at a great price to complete my snake set. Chose not to buy it at this time. If a Colt Cobra came around... ??? I'll have to ask the seller if he has one of those hiding in the safe... Bwah hah hah.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.