Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shooting a collector grade Ruger Single Six?

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Shooting a collector grade Ruger Single Six?

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:20 pm

I have a small collection of Ruger Liberty revolvers, meaning 1976 vintage Rugers stamped with:

Having this stamp does increase the collectible value by about $75 to $100 IF the gun is collector grade, meaning as new in the box with box and papers. On a well-used gun, having the stamp adds no premium. Several of my Liberty Rugers, though, such as this New Model Single Six Liberty Ruger qualify as collector grade.

Another plus from an aesthetics point of view, is that all Rugers made prior to 1978 are free of the "read the instruction manual" stamp. Not a deal breaker to me if a gun has it, but I much prefer the clean look of a gun without such a stamp.

As Single Sixes go, this one is really nice. Action is smooth and tight and the trigger is especially nice. I've been so tempted to shoot this New Model Single Six that I even painted the front sight red. That can be removed easily enough, of course.

Yeah, I'm now at an age where I might as well shoot our collectible guns and enjoy them for what they are. It's not like we would be able to make a huge profit on them, anyway. On the other hand, we do have other Single Sixes to shoot, so maybe this one should remain as is and left in the box. Decisions, decisions.

Any thoughts?
6 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Shooting a collector grade Ruger Single Six?

Post by John E Davies » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:55 pm

My first centerfire handgun was a brand new 1976 New Model Blackhawk .357. I paid $157 for it. I didn’t even notice the special logo until much later. Shoot yours. You will enjoy that experience way more than you will enjoy a few extra bucks when selling. Or if you plan to leave your collection as an inheritance, let them worry about the condition. Life is too short. Enjoy your stuff fully while you can.

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John E Davies on Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
3 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:59 pm

Nice one there NCG, I have have one of those in a single-six with both cylinders also just not as nice. Enjoy it.
20240208_061632.jpg

Side note, that was the year my daughter was born. ;)

RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Vaquero on Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:27 pm

NCG, this post made me go dig out my single six. I never knew if it had the read safety warning or not. It doesn't.
If you are a really serious collector of Ruger 1976 handguns, it would seem to me that you may want pristine, unfired examples in your collection. That would be if you were to show friends and family the collection, or you had someone special in mind to leave them to and they had a similar love for the collector grade.
I have purchased a couple of guns just for display, with no intention to shoot them. The rest all get shot, sooner or later.
Perhaps you have something to celebrate a special occasion with.
Good luck with your decision.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:57 pm

Iffen you don't shoot it....You are just a warehouse for the next owner.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:22 pm

I wouldnt even hesitate it would be shot if it was at my house. ( On a side note Id like to see some targets out of that 7 inch 12 shot Uberti)
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:25 pm

I had all the calibers offered in the liberty Rugers with the exception of the 30 carbine. The 41 Mag. was the best shooting one. I shot all of them and didn't have any thought about collector value. Had to sell them off any way when times got tough and needed the money more than the revolvers. People told me not to shoot the CZ 452 Grand Finale rifles. :roll: I paid no attention to them and I have shot all five of them and it didn't bother me at all. I buy mine to enjoy them. NCG, If that single six could talk it would probably beg to be shot by somebody that really can get the most out of it.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:26 pm

I'd shoot it. It's a nice gun, and as we discussed a few years ago, the one my roommate talked me out of when he got out of the Corps and went back to Missouri. Mine also had the second (Magnum) cylinder. It might be different if it were very rare, an engraved gold/silver inlaid piece that could be highly damaged by shooting it... :o ... Or had true historical value in some way.

I haven't owned one yet I don't want to shoot. Life is too short.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:21 pm

The Happy Kaboomer wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:57 pm
Iffen you don't shoot it....You are just a warehouse for the next owner.
Love that one. :) It's so true, though. Thank you all for sharing and confirming what I was feeling.

Al, we're still hoping to get out for a range session with the now four 22 revolvers in the queue. Just haven't been able to to it, yet. One of the problems will be the usual winter shooting issue of cold hands. Don't think I'll make it through four revolvers, so probably going to take two or three sessions.

bandit, given how amazing those Grand Finale CZs have been for you, yeah, it would have been a shame not to shoot them. Agree very much.
4 x