Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Which .22 Revolver

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Which .22 Revolver

Post by graywolf » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:40 pm

I shot a round of snake shot at a target with a rubber backing one time. I was glad I had my safety glasses on. They ricocheted back at me. I had a Glock in .40 about 15-20 years ago. I didn't like it. Didn't keep it long. Besides that, only handguns have been .22. Don't know much about the larger calibers. Just never shot handguns much.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:44 am

graywolf wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:40 pm
I shot a round of snake shot at a target with a rubber backing one time. I was glad I had my safety glasses on. They ricocheted back at me. I had a Glock in .40 about 15-20 years ago. I didn't like it. Didn't keep it long. Besides that, only handguns have been .22. Don't know much about the larger calibers. Just never shot handguns much.
Then I suppose you should forget the idea of carrying an effective snake pistol. A .22 will just give you a false sense of security. Wear snake chaps and sturdy boots instead.

https://www.snakeprotection.com/snake-chaps

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:53 pm

I'm beginning to realize shooting a pistol is the hard part. The caliber is no problem. I've taken care of everything on the farm all these years with the .22, but it's been a rifle. It's easier to carry a handgun on me than to tote the rifle when I'm having to use the cane.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:52 am

graywolf wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:53 pm
I'm beginning to realize shooting a pistol is the hard part. The caliber is no problem. I've taken care of everything on the farm all these years with the .22, but it's been a rifle. It's easier to carry a handgun on me than to tote the rifle when I'm having to use the cane.
Correct, handguns are the hardest type of gun to master. The learning curve is longer and steeper than learning to shoot a rifle, no doubt about it. Depending on how much you want to invest in learning, there are classes you can take and lots of support with books and articles, but handgun shooting is still a type of shooting that requires you to get out and shoot and practice and then shoot and practice some more. No shortcut, there. There's also some added safety issues with handling pistols and revolvers, so I strongly recommend taking a course under a certified instructor if you can. For instance, just drawing a pistol from a holster and firing, there is a safe way to do it and a not safe way to do it.

A 22 revolver or pistol is the basic trainer for handgun shooting and still highly useful even after moving on to other calibers. For your carry gun, though, I think it would be hard to beat a 38 revolver loaded with shot shells .
1 x

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:14 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm gonna think on it some more. I'll research some on the 38's and go from there. May have more questions later.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:06 pm

Ask away when ready my friend.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:23 pm

graywolf wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:14 pm
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm gonna think on it some more. I'll research some on the 38's and go from there. May have more questions later.
As Dave says, ask away. In your research, I advise looking at mid size 38 revolvers as first revolvers to learn the basics. Small, compact 38s are great carry revolvers and very popular, but small revolvers are harder to shoot well and not the best choice for learning the basics. Go with mid-size 38 revolver or even a 357 and just use it to shoot 38s. For barrel length, 4" is about as good an all around, do everything length as it gets. Some of my favorites over the years have been K frame Smiths like the Model 10, Model 19, Model 66 or the Ruger GP-100 or Security Six (no longer made, but very nice).
2 x

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:36 pm

I haven't been able to think about a new revolver lately. Between me and my digestive issues, and getting wife ready for a knee replacement, just got other things on my mind.
1 x

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:29 pm

Smith & Wesson model 43C
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:05 am

graywolf wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:36 pm
I haven't been able to think about a new revolver lately. Between me and my digestive issues, and getting wife ready for a knee replacement, just got other things on my mind.
Don’t you hate it when life gets in the way of fun. :roll:
1 x