Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The 617-1 saw daylight today

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

The 617-1 saw daylight today

Post by daytime dave » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:48 pm

It was unusually warm today, around 50F, and I needed to shoot my 617 after seeing NCG's new 617 and Ulberti. So I got the revolver, a box of fifty rounds, my shooting bag and loaded it into the mud buggy. The back pasture is solid mud as there has not been many freezing temps yet.

I took the mud buggy to the pasture and set up. Right off the bat I noticed the 617 was filthy, I had never cleaned it since I got it, and the sights were off. It has a fantastic double action pull and I can't believe I haven't had it out more.

I shot at 20 yds, 13 yds and 10 yds. Nothing close to good shooting, but I was glad to get out with it.

Here are the results:

2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: The 617-1 saw daylight today

Post by markiver54 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:14 pm

Glad you got it out and took some shots!
I'm seeing some pretty good shooting there Dave.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:30 pm

That looks like a big piece of hardware for shooting .22s.
It is pretty and I wish I had one.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:34 pm

Noice work, Dave. Have to love and early 617 for sure. I really think Smith was more "awake" when they made the early ones like that. Seems like they've been asleep, lately. :)
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:37 pm

that's sure one nice piece of machinery :!:
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:42 pm

Just FYI I have not had good luck with that brand of ammo for accuracy. Nice 617
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:30 am

I have a wonderful 617, no lock. I think mine is a -2 if I remember correctly. I picked it up at a shop in CT when we lived in CT. It had been used as an indoor 22lr plate gun. From what the owner said, it was his personal gun. No box, no papers. He'd put well over 100k through it but was now having accuracy issues.

I took a chance on it and worked a buy-two-get-a-chunk-off deal. (other gun was a dan wesson vbob.)

I did shoot it a half dozen times and did a cursory clean and oil of the gun. I had issues with ammo sticking in the cylinder. I ended up needing the Lewis lead remover brass patches to clean out each of the chambers. That's how much fouling had built up. It now loaded and fired easily, but the accuracy was not so good.

Every fifth or sixth round would fly off to Oz. I decided to run the Lewis lead remover patches through the barrel. It got stuck an inch after the forcing cone. I pulled with all of my might and felt it move. I kept pulling. To put how hard I was pulling in perspective, I had my foot braced against my bench and the gripless pistol in a soft-jawed vice. I kept having to tighten and adjust the pistol down.

Why would I pull so hard? Because I had four six-inch long slivers of lead from between the groves exit the barrel. It took me about five hours of cleaning after that to get the barrel clean.

I've put an additional 125k through the gun, worn out two hands (the one it came with and a second,) and had to replace the firing pin with the factory extended firing pin because the first wore down to a nub.

I love this revolver, and to this day, if anyone asks me what gun to buy as a first gun, I tell them a Smith 617.

1 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:31 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:42 pm
Just FYI I have not had good luck with that brand of ammo for accuracy. Nice 617
Mine likes cci standard 40grn lead round nose. Wolf target, and eley sport. I've found that Standard velocity 900-1050 fps are far more accurate out of the gun than supers or "quiet" loads.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:17 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:42 pm
Thanks Al, I'll have to try a few different types to see if they do better. I got a brick of that stuff on sale because it was standard velocity. I had thought about putting it in my S&W model 41.
I still haven't tried that. I'm hoping the 617 will do better with the thorough cleaning I did too.
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:20 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:34 pm
Noice work, Dave. Have to love and early 617 for sure. I really think Smith was more "awake" when they made the early ones like that. Seems like they've been asleep, lately. :)
I have to agree NCG. I have passed on several post lock S&W revolvers for various reasons. Mostly I didn't think they were up to snuff compared to the older models. I do have a couple of Performance Center revolvers that are very well put together. I guess the Performance Center still does it right.
1 x